So is MSG good or bad for health?

SGMCF328

22 hours ago, Ganwb79 said:

Any advice that goes along the lines of "eat more of something, don't eat something or else" should be taken with liberal pinch of salt (or MSG). Everyone has a different microbiome and different degrees of reaction to what they eat. To give advice assuming it will apply the same to every person is BS. 

Fully agree. Like that everyday just pop in vitamin A to Z can liao. 

↡ Advertisement

21 hours ago, Blueray said:

agreed.

many people are just too lazy to pay attention what works and what doesn't work for themselves.

years ago I was at a food seminar and a lady attendee said she was on a gluten free diet, and when the speaker asked her why on gluten free diet, she said "my friend say its good". I was .... 

Not surprisingly that people always follow blindly. Esp it is comes from some food experts or medical experts, if they say this one is good, that one is no good, people would just follow.

On 10/6/2022 at 2:37 PM, Kxbc said:

We have many ang mo living in Singapore, Japan, China and various SEA countries where Msg is very much used. 

You personally heard of any of them being allergic to Msg? I have not. 

Many ang mo are fxxking loud mouth and want to blow up any issue. The Msg issue is probably overblown by some of them many years ago. 

Amdk favourite food potato chips nowadays got lots of MSG, especially any special flavours

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Not surprisingly that people always follow blindly. Esp it is comes from some food experts or medical experts, if they say this one is good, that one is no good, people would just follow.

They are experts in food and medical mah..  ownself determine good or not high chance is placebo.. that's why got auntie and unker swear by miracle food.

• Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Amdk favourite food potato chips nowadays got lots of MSG, especially any special flavours

Potato chips default and all the while have lots of MSG de. But this is most people favourite snack.

• Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Potato chips default and all the while have lots of MSG de. But this is most people favourite snack.

not calbee prawn crackers meh ? hee ...

Last time got no one with gluten intolerance.

Then one or two people claim to have and now many restaurants in US all have a menu for gluten intolerance.

Its just fad.

:D  

On 10/6/2022 at 2:26 PM, Kxbc said:

I am not sure how many of you watch the cna video on msg. I watched it around 2 months ago and this is what I remember. 

Commercial Msg is made from casava, a kind of tuber. You can find many SEA desserts made from casava. 

Msg has approx 20% of sodium compared to the same quantity of table salt. Together with other umami components in msg, it lifts the flavour of food so you can actually replace some of the salt with msg. If you do that, your overall sodium consumption reduces which is a good thing because most of us consume too much sodium and thus, leads to high blood pressure and heart issues.

Note: Don't mix up sodium with table salt. Sodium is a component of salt. I believe recommended daily consumption is 2000mg which is the equivalent of 1 teaspoon of ordinary table salt. 

And umami exists in various foods, eg cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, sea weed. 

This one? Interesting video, I watched it too and shared with wifey but MSG has yet to return to our kitchen, using it sparingly should be ok. 

No scientific evidence but generally i feel thirsty after dining at places suspected of using lots of MSG, i seldom return to those places, they are using too much MSG or salts to enhance the taste, so can't be good. 

Turbocharged
37 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

This one? Interesting video, I watched it too and shared with wifey but MSG has yet to return to our kitchen, using it sparingly should be ok. 

No scientific evidence but generally i feel thirsty after dining at places suspected of using lots of MSG, i seldom return to those places, they are using too much MSG or salts to enhance the taste, so can't be good. 

yes, this is the one. If you have no time to finish the video, the main message is from 19:30 min onwards.

I correct my post above: Sodium in MSG is not 20% of sodium in salt. It is ~33%, ie, 1 teaspoon of salt contains ~2000mg of sodium (recommended daily intake) while 1 teaspoon of MSG has 700mg of sodium.

Both sodium and MSG enhances food flavor. Therefore, MSG is a lesser of 2 evils when compared to salt if we are just comparing sodium content.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3