Singapore ranks No. 1 for best roads in the world, here's what some local drivers really think

DOBIEMKZ

Singapore ranks No. 1 for best roads in the world, here's what some local drivers really think

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/singapore-ranks-no-1-best-roads-world-heres-what-some-local-drivers-really-think?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3Z03Qq8ISvjJEjbXseRHzQ_8RE4I_qm6Pdtv5QYHthQ3Ie18VcpjMLEys#Echobox=1664963139

OCTOBER 05, 2022    PUBLISHED AT 5:15 PM    By CANDICE CAI

image.png.15fc769bc9ba059f7d5a91f6f7bf0409.png

The Straits Times file

By now, it should not come as a surprise that Singapore typically crushes the competition in many world rankings.

And so it did, in a recent list of best roads around the world, where Singapore came in — you guessed it — first.

It scored 9.44 over 10 points in terms of its road quality in a global study by Zutobi, which also took into account the number of road deaths and the relative size of the road network.

Zutobi, an online driver education resource, also obtained some of its data on road quality from earlier studies in The Global Economy.

According to the ranking, Singapore had the lowest road traffic deaths at 1.69 per 100,000 people.

What's worth mentioning is that Singapore is the only country among the 59 countries studied to score above 9 points, with second-placed Netherlands obtaining a score of 8.62.

Others among the top five in descending order include Switzerland (8.58), Japan (8.41) and Denmark (7.59).

Conversely, looking at the worst roads in the world, Kuwait came up tops — or dead last — depending on how you look at it.

It had the lowest road quality score of 1.33 points, possibly due to its high number of road traffic deaths — the highest in the list — at 19 per 100,000 people.

One may also want to be cautious when driving in Costa Rica (2.24), Georgia (2.33) and Panama (2.55).

Surprisingly, New Zealand's (NZ) roads were fifth-worst at 2.93 points.

According to Zutobi, a contributing factor to NZ's poor showing (notwithstanding the many winding and narrow mountain roads) was the 2016 Kaikoura earthquake which destroyed a large section the country's biggest road.

Singaporean drivers, however, were far from joyful when it came to the nation's latest achievement.

Some left comments on the Land Transport Authority's Facebook post commenting on that report, with netizens saying that the state of some of our roads leaves much to be desired. 

One posted: "Come to Jurong Island Highway, experience it. Has the "BEST ROAD" nationwide.... Dry crack road, patchwork, uneven roads, poor(ly) maintained pedestrian pathways."

image.png.189c4f40466bcfb817a19cae8617e241.png

PHOTO: Screengrab from Facebook/Wekeepyourworldmoving

image.png.2e6d0051d5dcf0036a45a012a72f62a7.png

One even thought Malaysia's North-South highway fared better than our Pan-Island Expressway.

image.png.3a20ac87a8a03a1ae43debcbbff169a8.png

But for one Hardwarezone forum member, the problems we face on the roads appear to be user-generated.

image.png.6f90f07db2674014bf60d41d0a516369.png

PHOTO: Screengrab from Hardwarezone

And if you're wondering how our closest neighbour fared, the answer is — not that great (but still better than NZ and Argentina).

Malaysia ranked 12th from the bottom at 3.32 points, pipping countries such as the United Arab Emirates (3.23) and Saudi Arabia (3.11).

The Malaysian government however, has come out to rebut the report, calling it inaccurate and misleading.

It cited another study published by Utasan Malaysia on Aug 10 which ranked Malaysia's road quality among the 21 best roads in the world.

image.png.cc1122f4fdc6e9757226850588d0cc42.png

In January, Pahang assemblyman Sim Chon Siang decided to fix a pothole himself after local authorities did not respond to requests for repairs.
PHOTO:Facebook/Sim Chon Siang

Thanks to the efforts of this Malaysian assemblyman Sim Chon Siang perhaps?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

errr number one expensive kereta in the world with 10 years lease 🤑

road must be lay with gold dust ... blink blink ...

must do some justice to the $100K COE rolling over it ... LOL

Edited by Wt_know

26 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/singapore-ranks-no-1-best-roads-world-heres-what-some-local-drivers-really-think?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3Z03Qq8ISvjJEjbXseRHzQ_8RE4I_qm6Pdtv5QYHthQ3Ie18VcpjMLEys#Echobox=1664963139

The Straits Times file

By now, it should not come as a surprise that Singapore typically crushes the competition in many world rankings.

And so it did, in a recent list of best roads around the world, where Singapore came in — you guessed it — first.

It scored 9.44 over 10 points in terms of its road quality in a global study by Zutobi, which also took into account the number of road deaths and the relative size of the road network.

Zutobi, an online driver education resource, also obtained some of its data on road quality from earlier studies in The Global Economy.

According to the ranking, Singapore had the lowest road traffic deaths at 1.69 per 100,000 people.

What's worth mentioning is that Singapore is the only country among the 59 countries studied to score above 9 points, with second-placed Netherlands obtaining a score of 8.62.

Others among the top five in descending order include Switzerland (8.58), Japan (8.41) and Denmark (7.59).

Conversely, looking at the worst roads in the world, Kuwait came up tops — or dead last — depending on how you look at it.

It had the lowest road quality score of 1.33 points, possibly due to its high number of road traffic deaths — the highest in the list — at 19 per 100,000 people.

One may also want to be cautious when driving in Costa Rica (2.24), Georgia (2.33) and Panama (2.55).

According to Zutobi, a contributing factor to NZ's poor showing (notwithstanding the many winding and narrow mountain roads) was the 2016 Kaikoura earthquake which destroyed a large section the country's biggest road.

Singaporean drivers, however, were far from joyful when it came to the nation's latest achievement.

Some left comments on the Land Transport Authority's Facebook post commenting on that report, with netizens saying that the state of some of our roads leaves much to be desired. 

One posted: "Come to Jurong Island Highway, experience it. Has the "BEST ROAD" nationwide.... Dry crack road, patchwork, uneven roads, poor(ly) maintained pedestrian pathways."

One even thought Malaysia's North-South highway fared better than our Pan-Island Expressway.

But for one Hardwarezone forum member, the problems we face on the roads appear to be user-generated.

And if you're wondering how our closest neighbour fared, the answer is — not that great (but still better than NZ and Argentina).

Malaysia ranked 12th from the bottom at 3.32 points, pipping countries such as the United Arab Emirates (3.23) and Saudi Arabia (3.11).

The Malaysian government however, has come out to rebut the report, calling it inaccurate and misleading.

It cited another study published by Utasan Malaysia on Aug 10 which ranked Malaysia's road quality among the 21 best roads in the world.

In January, Pahang assemblyman Sim Chon Siang decided to fix a pothole himself after local authorities did not respond to requests for repairs.

Can't laugh at them because now it is common to see potholes on our roads too. An irritation for cars and larger vehicles, but can be dangerous for two-wheelers.

Unfortunately due to lack of space, all the cables here are buried underground. Any kind of work on the cables will require digging and patching of the road. It does look like a more frequent occurrence these days. Often will see one lane blocked for whatever kind of work and the parties involved seem to take turns doing the digging and re-patching, without much coordination between them.

Knowing the cheap labour that is employed here for construction, not a surprise that after patching and re-patching the road is never smooth again! It's enough to make the old man flip if he were alive to see and experience it. He would've never accepted this kind of shoddy standard from public agencies responsible.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

If they rank best roads in the world in terms of bumpy and uneven road, i dont think sg roads can make it as best la. Nowadays roads here always are uneven, bumpy, many potholes and poor repatching are everywhere. I agreed with the comments on Jurong Island Highway, the roads in this place is poorly maintained, driving there really must open eyes big big and go slow, if not high chance would drive into potholes. Even the road around Jurong Pier Rd is poorly maintained.

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

road must be lay with gold dust ... blink blink ...

must do some justice to the $100K COE rolling over it ... LOL

huat ah 🤑

19 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Can't laugh at them because now it is common to see potholes on our roads too. An irritation for cars and larger vehicles, but can be dangerous for two-wheelers.

Unfortunately due to lack of space, all the cables here are buried underground. Any kind of work on the cables will require digging and patching of the road. It does look like a more frequent occurrence these days. Often will see one lane blocked for whatever kind of work and the parties involved seem to take turns doing the digging and re-patching, without much coordination between them.

Knowing the cheap labour that is employed here for construction, not a surprise that after patching and re-patching the road is never smooth again! It's enough to make the old man flip if he were alive to see and experience it. He would've never accepted this kind of shoddy standard from public agencies responsible.

For the past 2 years, i have been KPKB around our road condition.

When border opens, i cycled to JB.  Upon return, i stopped KPKB.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

If they rank best roads in the world in terms of bumpy and uneven road, i dont think sg roads can make it as best la. Nowadays roads here always are uneven, bumpy, many potholes and poor repatching are everywhere. I agreed with the comments on Jurong Island Highway, the roads in this place is poorly maintained, driving there really must open eyes big big and go slow, if not high chance would drive into potholes. Even the road around Jurong Pier Rd is poorly maintained.

Yeah lor.... Seriously I am thinking to down-size my rims and up-size my tyres...

• Haha! 1

I cannot concur.

The slip road from TPE from the direction of KPE to Pasir Ris Drive 12 is extremely badly constructed. It is so uneven and bumpy.😪

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

If anyone think SG road is bad. They can come to visit me and feel the road I drive😂

And living back in China for the many years. I will encounter some places and tell my guys. "If you can find a road like this in Singapore, I will pay you $500"

Then back in Mexico. Some places probably deliberately dug out for better business to let you repair your any punctured tire if it happens.

US.....I can tell you a lot of the roads are no longer like before. Just as I said, even their homeless in SF has grows 1000 times.

But then, I still don't agree we are no1 leh. No one check out Japan and UAE. Roads are good. But do not compare rural areas 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

The Straits Times file

That's because our land is small mah. hahaha. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

29 minutes ago, Arogab said:

If anyone think SG road is bad. They can come to visit me and feel the road I drive😂

And living back in China for the many years. I will encounter some places and tell my guys. "If you can find a road like this in Singapore, I will pay you $500"

Then back in Mexico. Some places probably deliberately dug out for better business to let you repair your any punctured tire if it happens.

US.....I can tell you a lot of the roads are no longer like before. Just as I said, even their homeless in SF has grows 1000 times.

But then, I still don't agree we are no1 leh. No one check out Japan and UAE. Roads are good. But do not compare rural areas 

In PEK, the roads are cleaner and better than Sg.

That’s including outskirts of PEK.

Once cross into Hebei, there is a different world😂

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

In PEK, the roads are cleaner and better than Sg.

That’s including outskirts of PEK.

Once cross into Hebei, there is a different world😂

But their roads always jam pack one

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Singapore's roads are not bad, clean and WIDE. Being wide is a problem because that is the reason you see motorcycles straddle between cars.

• Haha! 1

52 minutes ago, Arogab said:

If compared sg roads to those countries roads which are much more worst than us, surely our roads are the best la. I think this is the problem in sg, they always like to compare with a place worst than us on such thing, thats why not much improvement. Lol. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2