Should I get a new car or renew COE?

Ct3833

1 minute ago, Ct3833 said:

I approached many dealers, almost all of them told me they were honest, the rest told me they were more honest then honest .

Did they also tell you their cars very goot too?

:D

tenor.gif.4659a2a68b654e4abca45279dcac5e21.gif

↡ Advertisement

19 minutes ago, D3badge said:

There will still be cost savings but won’t be as much as you imagine.

1st COE car pay higher road taxes.

breakdown wear and tear no 5 years warranty. 

this one I am not too sure but can you get comprehensive insurance? Then if yes cost higher? If not accident mean surprises you got to fixed repair a COE car yourself. 

Old engine technology drink more petrol and when an engine is after 10 years old normally will naturally drink more petrol too.

but new car not only engine efficiency but also have hybrid option since COE car sure petrol so we just compare with the need for petrol 

I am sure depre still lower than a new car but the gap won’t be as huge as mention above.

Both my COE cars(renewed during low COE) are so far ok. One depre at $600 per month, the other $300 per month, cheaper than taking bus. Insurance wise  both  are still comprehensive at 13+years.  

You are correct that the diff now may not be as much due to high COE, it is why in my own opinion, I will go for an old used car to ride over the high coe period.  

14 minutes ago, shrjun said:

It is possible . But most people will stop repairing as soon as they are know they are selling . 

Selling on 7th Year,either Major Items like Engine or Gearbox gone case soon....if Honest direct Car Owner,will tell you,lost their Job or got illness.

30 minutes ago, shrjun said:

It is possible . But most people will stop repairing as soon as they are know they are selling . 

Best post.

If buy a cui used car don't blame the dealer.

He did not buy a good car and make it cui and sell it.

Blame the previous owner. He made the car cui!

So many people curse and swear at car dealers

Honestly its not us that made the car cui.

Blame the right people.

• Dislike 1
  • Haha! 3

Supercharged

unless is worthy 'classic' car that should live on for many decades more, else not really worth it to renew

My fren was a HR manager at hard disk factory many years ago.

When they close the plant and chop all the production workers

they always scratch his car.

He did not make the decision to close the factory.

Its the cost accountant that made the decision

and no one scratch the accountant's car.

Blame the correct people please.

• Praise 2

Supercharged
3 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Best post.

If buy a cui used car don't blame the dealer.

He did not buy a good car and make it cui and sell it.

Blame the previous owner. He made the car cui!

So many people curse and swear at car dealers

Honestly its not us that made the car cui.

Blame the right people.

if u bought over to resell the cui car, then should share the blame 😁

• Haha! 2

18 minutes ago, Eyke said:

if u bought over to resell the cui car, then should share the blame 😁

Haha I is ethical car dealer.

I always fix up the car and then sell.

1 hour ago, shrjun said:

Yes, this is the problem,  it is why many used cars out there have to be repaired after taking over

48 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

My fren was a HR manager at hard disk factory many years ago.

When they close the plant and chop all the production workers

they always scratch his car.

He did not make the decision to close the factory.

Its the cost accountant that made the decision

and no one scratch the accountant's car.

Blame the correct people please.

but.. but.. the cost accountant not the cause of the problem..

and maybe the HR hired the cost accountant leh.. so car kenna scratch is right! whahahahahha..

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

I approached many dealers, almost all of them told me they were honest, the rest told me they were more honest then honest .

This is a real challenge. So far both my cars have no problem except driving till further wear and tear surfaced. But to buy used car, one must be prepared not to be chosy about color , trim and options, buy what is in good condition. Don't go for the cheapest with a lot of promise. One might have to be prepared to pay a bit more, key is keeping his eyes opened.   Both my cars were one owner when I took over, one from my friend, one from a dealer and the car has been serviced by agent all they way . 

some  cars may have to spend a little bit more while some just wear and tear , but usually repair cost should not be ridiculous. Of course if one choose to drive a more exotic brand like an alfa or a rare brands,  then the spare parts cost, repair cost and reliability  can be a challenge.  It is also why I chose to drive proven no frills models. 

Have bought 6 used cars so far. All except 1 were 1 owner with documented history, ie correct mileage. Of the 5 one was a rx8 which was a money pit even from 16k km to 50k km. The remaining 4 cars were good. The 3 owner car was an old merc and it too was a money pit. 
thus good 1 owner used cars can be found and all were quite trouble free. Just need to take time to weed the wheat from the many chaffs out there. 
I have to say the rx8 and merc were from dealers but the rest were from direct owners. 

• Praise 5

(edited)
29 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Have bought 6 used cars so far. All except 1 were 1 owner with documented history, ie correct mileage. Of the 5 one was a rx8 which was a money pit even from 16k km to 50k km. The remaining 4 cars were good. The 3 owner car was an old merc and it too was a money pit. 
thus good 1 owner used cars can be found and all were quite trouble free. Just need to take time to weed the wheat from the many chaffs out there. 
I have to say the rx8 and merc were from dealers but the rest were from direct owners. 

Haha RX8, at one point I was contemplating it too, of course used car.  But my friend told me that in order to squeeze out real power from that 1.3L rotary engine, one will have to create some  damage  to the rotary, be prepared to pay for repair , and he said not many good expertise in SGP can really  do a good job in rotory engine repair. But that car has a fun look, especially the half rear door is interesting.  Anyway no loss for not having it. It is safer sticking to basic  day  to day driving models 

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1