Advice needed: First short trip for my little 'un - Meleka!

therock

My little one is now ten months old and we figured that we might try a short road trip first, before venturing further afield or flying.

We don't want Johor, so it's going to be Melaka!

It's only a few hours drive, enough to try out how to handle any toilet issues, meltdowns and others but with driving, I can make as many pit stops as I need and just slowly make my way there.

It's been at least three years since I entered M'sia, so any tips will be most welcome.

We don't really need to sightsee, just trying it out

Currently the plan is to go in mid November, before the school holidays begin .. 

Some things we need:

Hotel

- a decent tourist class hotel

- kid friendly

- near a mall (aircon)

- some nice eateries

- safe parking for our car

Is Makota still the go to mall?

I'll probably use the NS highway but if there are interesting side tours I'll be happy to try them.

Might drop by the Ayer Keroh A&W on the way there or back if it's still there.. 

Thanks in advance - and I'll post lots of pics when I do go, cheers

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Hatten or Estadia Hotel cos linked to e mall (Dataran Pahlawan & Mahkota Parade). Estadia hav 2 bdrm suites, useful if u need 2 bdrms, their single rms are small thou (can interlink). Been a while since i book hatten (ever since my kids grow up n need seperate rms), their normal rms are quite big, a king size bed w a sofa/bed by e doorway. Another that i used to book is Imperial Heritage (mai hiam buay pai), booked their 2/3 bdrm units, single units are gd size but no interconnecting units, oni thing is need to cross a wide road to e mall (Dataran Pahlawan) opposite, Take note Imperial Heritage oni e hotel lobby hav aircon, e walkways, lift lobby all natural ventilation, guess is bcos tis use to b an apartment convert to hotel. I'm not sure this 3 hotels provide baby cots or not, u'll need to chk.

makan same old same old, some hav closed, most of e popular ones still alive n kicking.

Hatten/Estadia share e same carpark, Imperial Heritage hav a mscp link to it + an open air carpark behind e mscp (i nvr park at e open air carpark). Mny sg cars at Hattens/Estadia/IH (mscp)......so do ur due diligence n should b ok.

safest bet would b Dataran Pahlawan and Mahkota Parade.

Simply Fish Restaurant, can try tis, opposite Estadia Hotel

Molten Chocolate Cafe at Dataran Pahlawan, if u like chocolate (service fr e staff can b lacking)

e wkend (fri/sat/sun) pasa malam is operational if u wan to go....packed like sardine as usual

u hav to make a rd trip for Ayer Keroh A&W.....there is A&W in Dataran Pahlawan

alot of rnr on e way up so not to worry, when my kids r younger, i stop at e major rnr regardless they need it or not, just to chk on them.

Edited by zipping
  • Praise 6

Double tree melaka. Their breakfast good too. The mall itself was quite empty though.

Good to have a hotel with breakie with a kid in tow. Hee.

And opposite of the hotel has some restaurants too.

Though its location is further from the heart of melaka

Edited by Spurman
  • Praise 3

I'd advise against stopping at any rest stop...especially with young kid...and the laopeh has a pair of legs same age as him...unless he has a physique similar to Dwayne Johnson...

it's not even 100% safe in HK wonderland...let alone...

• Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

3 years never travel? then go for better hotel, Casa del Rio :D

I saw that one bro... $$$

I've been to Melaka many times so it's just for the idea of a road trip.. Gonna take the baby out to Neo Tiew area for a walkabout and get some koi stuff as a start, then go out to Sembawang Park too..

The last trip I had was to UK in Feb 2020, just before the lockdown was declared.. storm of the century there too, plus floods and a huge wall of water hitting our car at 60 mph... hope this trip is less eventful. I'm blessed to have the baby at my age, so yeah, hotel to mall simplicity is key. Maybe throw in a massage for the boss and some kiddy areas... me, if I get some keropok lekor and just good teh tarik, I'm grateful... plus I get to stretch the legs on my bread van and clear carbon before servicing the car... gotta keep the car in good shape for a few more years and pray the COE goes down.. 

• Praise 1

closest walking distance to big aircon mall is either hatten or estadia, next to big mega malls in central melaka

There is  even a new hai di lao  @Dataran Pahlawan Melaka Megamall Malaysia when i last visited a few months back, Non-halal though lol, only mainly Chinese  customers inside ..😅

double tree hilton is the more atas place to stay but the mall next to it is almost empty ( like most of the tenants moved out save the cinema)

• Praise 3

Bro go resort....I have not been to MY is the last 8 years. But I remember there are many places you can idle in those resorts. I believe there are newer ones now. Enjoy and drive safe

• Praise 1

yeah a beach resort with a nice pool is better for kids. 

if you dont want to drive then just go club med bintan. pay a bit more but everything is covered and less to think.

Melaka don't have many toddler friendly places.

Plus ppl like to bring big bag small bag for toddler.

Confirm parents need another 1 more day to rest after the trip.

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
15 hours ago, therock said:

My little one is now ten months old and we figured that we might try a short road trip first, before venturing further afield or flying.

We don't want Johor, so it's going to be Melaka!

It's only a few hours drive, enough to try out how to handle any toilet issues, meltdowns and others but with driving, I can make as many pit stops as I need and just slowly make my way there.

It's been at least three years since I entered M'sia, so any tips will be most welcome.

We don't really need to sightsee, just trying it out

Currently the plan is to go in mid November, before the school holidays begin .. 

Some things we need:

Hotel

- a decent tourist class hotel

- kid friendly

- near a mall (aircon)

- some nice eateries

- safe parking for our car

Is Makota still the go to mall?

I'll probably use the NS highway but if there are interesting side tours I'll be happy to try them.

Might drop by the Ayer Keroh A&W on the way there or back if it's still there.. 

Thanks in advance - and I'll post lots of pics when I do go, cheers

I think melaka is good! A short drive for the little ones. if Cameron or Gentings, I won't recommened. Later need diaper change or what, it will be messy! 

enjoy bro!!! 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

I think melaka is good! A short drive for the little ones. if Cameron or Gentings, I won't recommened. Later need diaper change or what, it will be messy! 

enjoy bro!!! 

Thanks bro
I'm not there for the sights or such, just choose a simple place to chill..

The spa idea isn't bad, my wife will love it... then I will babysit ... I used to go to this old bookstore and get comic books, believe or not, I used to collect "Commando" and other stuff like Beano... haha 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Yrs back b4 covid.  B4 my 2nd was born. Went to melaka for a short trip with my then 5yr old. 

Stayed at doubletree as rates was kinda low then.  The thing wif family trips is well to entertain the kid. So yeah visit the aquarium there. Eat durian chendol thingy. Did a short walk ard jonker street as well kid wont appreciate much of it. Hee. And yeah. Played in an indoor mall below the hotel. Bouncy thingy. Let boy enjoy.

See. Hee. Kinda a kiddy holiday though get to have good food throughout at least. Once boy is entertained. Other activities seems easier to achieve one.

9 hours ago, therock said:

Thanks bro
I'm not there for the sights or such, just choose a simple place to chill..

The spa idea isn't bad, my wife will love it... then I will babysit ... I used to go to this old bookstore and get comic books, believe or not, I used to collect "Commando" and other stuff like Beano... haha 

Can be done as kid kinda young, take turb babysit while she or u rotate for spa. Hee.

Btw. Since talking bout holidaying wif kids. Highjack this thread a bit. Hee. Dec 5d4n christimas holiday in bali. Long story short, me and my bil both has expiring miles back in apr. And just nice we can redeem for bali. And at that time, no waitlist so heck we changed and now its 2 mths away for the trip. Hee.

First time for me in bali though. And with 4 adults and 4kids. Youngest 2yrs plus and the others aged 7 8 and 12.

Was wondering what plans for this trip. Prefer day 1 and 4 to nuah in resort. With day 2 and 3 day trips pref with a driver to bring us ard where kids can be entertained and adults wont feel bored. Hee

7 minutes ago, Spurman said:

Btw. Since talking bout holidaying wif kids. Highjack this thread a bit. Hee. Dec 5d4n christimas holiday in bali. Long story short, me and my bil both has expiring miles back in apr. And just nice we can redeem for bali. And at that time, no waitlist so heck we changed and now its 2 mths away for the trip. Hee.

First time for me in bali though. And with 4 adults and 4kids. Youngest 2yrs plus and the others aged 7 8 and 12.

Was wondering what plans for this trip. Prefer day 1 and 4 to nuah in resort. With day 2 and 3 day trips pref with a driver to bring us ard where kids can be entertained and adults wont feel bored. Hee

Bali is pretty big actually, the sunset at the Monkey God Temple is quite spectacular, stay at the Meridien for a nice view..

The inland lakes are also pretty...

For a simple spa thing try Nusa Dua, less touristy but still many choices of hotel and food.. 

You can even hire a single driver throughout.. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2