DIY engine oil change

Beehive3783

During my last oil change at my regular workshop, I noticed the labour prices have increased 50% from before. So I am thinking of embarking on my own oil changes. With the investment into the proper equipment required, I should be able to cover the costs in 2 or 3 oil changes. 

There is only one problem, I don't know where to dispose of the old engine oil.

If there are any of you who are currently doing your own oil changes, where do you dispose of the old oil?

Edited by Beehive3783
↡ Advertisement

7 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

During my last oil change at my regular workshop, I noticed the labour prices have increased 50% from before. So I am thinking of embarking on my own oil changes. With the investment into the proper equipment required, I should be able to cover the costs in 2 or 3 oil changes. 

There is only one problem, I don't know where to dispose of the old engine oil.

If there are any of you who are currently doing your own oil changes, where do you dispose of the old oil?

Keep till you service or repair something else at your workshop and then ask them to disposed. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

I posted somewhere before. Go to the old school repair guy in Block 7 King George Ave, the shop is Ho Hup Seng. One of them pass away liao. Give the guys some job. They never charge you high. When I go back, I sometimes go there for coffee even I got no repairs as I know them for about 30 years liao

• Praise 3

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

@Beehive3783 How high is the charge?

Was $20, now $30. ATF oil change labour charge also increased a lot to $120.

But don't ask me which shop la. $20 was cheap when others already charging $30. But times are tough now so I'm feeling the pinch even at $30. :D 

I was thinking of doing my own oil changes all along but didn't feel the need, until now :D 

Edited by Beehive3783
  • Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Was $20, now $30. ATF oil change labour charge also increased a lot to $120.

But don't ask me which shop la. $20 was cheap when others already charging $30. But times are tough now so I'm feeling the pinch even at $30. :D 

I was thinking of doing my own oil changes all along but didn't feel the need, until now :D 

30 dollars seems to be the norm now, even those mobile part timers charge that amount. 120 for ATF oil change is to high. In fact, it is simpler than engine oil change, except they need to use a long neck funnel to fill in the oil. 

I am still being charged 30 for oil change.

Edited by Fitvip

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

30 dollars seems to be the norm now, even those mobile part timers charge that amount. 120 for ATF oil change is to high. In fact, it is simpler than engine oil change, except they need to use a long neck funnel to fill in the oil. 

I am still being charged 30 for oil change.

Yes true, $30 labour for engine oil change is the norm now, but I held off on the idea of DIY oil change because my regular workshop was still charging me $20.

Maybe I should clarify on the ATF portion, it includes change of ATF oil filter as well, requiring removal of the ATF oil pan.

It was $120 because I was duped by the lady boss last time to use gasket maker for the ATF oil pan when all long I have been using Toyota's genuine cork gasket. So this time, they spent some time removing the gasket maker residue from my oil pan and I insisted on using the cork gasket this time round.

Actually, a routine oil change seems simple enough for me, just that I have to invest in the equipment. With $30 labour now, I can get back my investment in 3 oil changes.

Edited by Beehive3783
  • Praise 1

You can diy.

Unscrew the drain plug and release into a container and not on your shoes.

Remember to screw in the plug or your new oil will spill all over your shoes.

Check dipstick for correct level

and save the cost of going to WS.

:D

• Praise 1

But if you DIY also got to get jacks and tools to lift up your car and do the oil change.

You have to buy these basic tools.

1-de70.jpg

And you do it where? MSCP?

Edited by Watwheels

6 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

But if you DIY also got to get jacks and tools to lift up your car and do the oil change.

You have to buy these basic tools.

1-de70.jpg

And you do it where? MSCP?

Then somebody will take peekture of the oil change w tools n post on social media say he running illegal car workshop in MSCP, MCFers will get upset n question if he foreigner n MP hv to come out to apologise n TC will take away every single amenity incl car wash bay in case kena comprain again

How liddat?

• Haha! 6

10 minutes ago, Soya said:

Then somebody will take peekture of the oil change w tools n post on social media say he running illegal car workshop in MSCP, MCFers will get upset n question if he foreigner n MP hv to come out to apologise n TC will take away every single amenity incl car wash bay in case kena comprain again

How liddat?

Ppl will do it at ungodly hours to avoid being detected. Haha...

Actually there is a roadside workshop(it is not actually a workshop, you can call it a mobile workshop) I had encounter before at Tai Seng Ave. Cars serviced by the road type. The used engine oil is stored in oil barrels in a van. The unker mechanic will service the cars and dump the oil in his van. LoL... It is just outside the JTC industrial park. Maybe Beehive can ask the unker whether he can dump the oil in his van.

Edited by Watwheels

1 hour ago, Arogab said:

I posted somewhere before. Go to the old school repair guy in Block 7 King George Ave, the shop is Ho Hup Seng. One of them pass away liao. Give the guys some job. They never charge you high. When I go back, I sometimes go there for coffee even I got no repairs as I know them for about 30 years liao

I go there sometimes but I dont see anyone doing car servicing or oil change there.

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Ppl will do it at ungodly hours to avoid being detected. Haha...

Lagi suspicious! Consperm foreigner...lol

• Haha! 3

Supercharged

you got to have a buddy running a workshop

they have waste oil drum to dispose used oil

waste oil company pay them actually

I DIY oil change mainly to save time and having a peace of mind

some workshops, including ADs, simple job like oil change also can screw up

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Beehive3783 said:

Yes true, $30 labour for engine oil change is the norm now, but I held off on the idea of DIY oil change because my regular workshop was still charging me $20.

Maybe I should clarify on the ATF portion, it includes change of ATF oil filter as well, requiring removal of the ATF oil pan.

It was $120 because I was duped by the lady boss last time to use gasket maker for the ATF oil pan when all long I have been using Toyota's genuine cork gasket. So this time, they spent some time removing the gasket maker residue from my oil pan and I insisted on using the cork gasket this time round.

Actually, a routine oil change seems simple enough for me, just that I have to invest in the equipment. With $30 labour now, I can get back my investment in 3 oil changes.

Why do you have to remove the ATF oil pan? Since the day I started driving, I have never removed the oil pan.

1 hour ago, Beehive3783 said:

Much easier and cleaner to use extractor without needing to crawl under. Get an extractor with capacity larger than the volume of your engine oil. 

• Praise 1

40 minutes ago, Gnahp said:

you got to have a buddy running a workshop

they have waste oil drum to dispose used oil

waste oil company pay them actually

I DIY oil change mainly to save time and having a peace of mind

some workshops, including ADs, simple job like oil change also can screw up

Like my regular WS didn't put in the rubber gasket for the filter housing cap.... Really WTF. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3