DIY engine oil change

Beehive3783

Actually there are places that sell fully syn oil like shell with labour and filter for like 78? i think

long ago even can find 50 buks 1.

We dun really save much when we diy oil change in SG. unless u like the fun parts of it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

20 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Fluid change is very important.

:D

image.png.7bf6bc639052643a67b92a8d1d7a0e98.png

Errrrm, the "fluid" can change meh?🤐

Edited by Fitvip
  • Haha! 1

19 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

No need to change filter everytime. Workshops like to scare monger. 40k atf changes with filter every other change is sufficient. 

I have never changed the ATF oil filter. My mileage is 187000 now. 

On 10/21/2022 at 10:36 AM, Arogab said:

I posted somewhere before. Go to the old school repair guy in Block 7 King George Ave, the shop is Ho Hup Seng. One of them pass away liao. Give the guys some job. They never charge you high. When I go back, I sometimes go there for coffee even I got no repairs as I know them for about 30 years liao

I thought HDB/URA not allow Workshop in Carpark.?

19 hours ago, Beregond said:

Actually there are places that sell fully syn oil like shell with labour and filter for like 78? i think

We dun really save much when we diy oil change in SG. unless u like the fun parts of it.

Or you want to use a specific oil

• Praise 1

40 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

I have never changed the ATF oil filter. My mileage is 187000 now. 

Next atf change just change it lor. 

• Praise 1

It's difficult to DIY ATF replacment as especially on European Vehicles as most the drain fill opening needs a special refill adaptor. For some European cars you need to drain the fluid with special design key and drop the pan to to be replace with a new pan than comes with  filter.

Most professional shops are using ATF pneumatic dispenser so that the chances of getting the correct amount into the transmission is almost right without any excess ATF dripping out. Fast and clean job.

ATF.jpg

• Praise 2

Shop that hoist and drain the engine oil  and the one that extract the engine oil via a pneumatic oil extractor - probably will charge different labour and equipment time usage.

Oil Extractor.jpg

On 10/21/2022 at 2:20 PM, mersaylee said:

30 dollah is cheap lah...imagine having to live with the used oil till disposal...fire hazard some more...granted flash point is above 150c...just drop by any WS that does servicing and pass them the used oil...

I used to pay 30 dollah just for the labour and that was almost 10 years ago...buy own EO and filter oredi save quite a bit there...let others also got makan lah 😁

Agree with your points. Engine oil flash point is above 220 degrees C. I am still doing fact finding on DIY oil change. It's simple enough but the logistics is not so simple in Singapore context.

On 10/21/2022 at 2:28 PM, 1fast1 said:

Wow. I got charged about 60 plus for my oil change for my Bimmer (I brought my own oil but they provided the filter, but that's what 15 bucks?). And I thought that's reasonable. Hmm. 

Well... Bimmer mah... :D 

On 10/21/2022 at 4:02 PM, Mancypher said:

If all the barang you bring your own of course they will charge abit more for labor lah. If not how ws want to survive. Mechanic also need yearly increment and AWS leh..

If item all from ws, they already put the price, adjust their profit margin already thats y the labor cheaper. But then again, labor fee depend on how good is your relationship level with the mechanics there also and repo with the ws.

Sometimes LPPL, the workshop doesn't have the engine oil that you want, and the EO package they offer not so cheap also. Actually you will never know if labour is cheaper if buying their EO package. They already have mark ups from the EO and oil filter.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, Mkl22 said:

No need to change filter everytime. Workshops like to scare monger. 40k atf changes with filter every other change is sufficient. 

My previous car's ATF filter is deep inside the gearbox, basically have to open up the gearbox to access the filter. That is pretty much non-serviceable so I never changed the ATF filter for the previous car, only drain and fill ATF.

For my current car, the ATF filter is just inside the ATF oil pan, so I just change the ATF and ATF filter every 30k to 40k km. Being a 14 year old car, there's probably more gunk flowing around than a newer car. So just take more care of it when I can. Even my workshop commented that I don't need to change the ATF filter every 30k to 40k km.

What do you recommend? ATF filter change every 60k to 80k interval?

On 10/21/2022 at 5:01 PM, Beregond said:

Shell oil is crap, randomly tried a few times and it's usually good for 8k km only. :D

I am more of a DIY person, so I do like to DIY things that I feel that I can handle, without excessive investment in tools. And I do enjoy the satisfaction of DIY since I'm a car enthusiast. That's also what MCF is for, to share information and get input from other members. :D 

Of course, some just throw to workshop to handle everything and many don't even know how to check their fluids. Nothing wrong, they buy car just to drive but I buy car to enjoy and learn. :D 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

13 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Agree with your points. Engine oil flash point is above 220 degrees C. I am still doing fact finding on DIY oil change. It's simple enough but the logistics is not so simple in Singapore context.

Well... Bimmer mah... :D 

Sometimes LPPL, the workshop doesn't have the engine oil that you want, and the EO package they offer not so cheap also. Actually you will never know if labour is cheaper if buying their EO package. They already have mark ups from the EO and oil filter.

My previous car's ATF filter is deep inside the gearbox, basically have to open up the gearbox to access the filter. That is pretty much non-serviceable so I never changed the ATF filter for the previous car, only drain and fill ATF.

For my current car, the ATF filter is just inside the ATF oil pan, so I just change the ATF and ATF filter every 30k to 40k km. Being a 14 year old car, there's probably more gunk flowing around than a newer car. So just take more care of it when I can. Even my workshop commented that I don't need to change the ATF filter every 30k to 40k km.

What do you recommend? ATF filter change every 60k to 80k interval?

Shell oil is crap, randomly tried a few times and it's usually good for 8k km only. :D

I am more of a DIY person, so I do like to DIY things that I feel that I can handle, without excessive investment in tools. And I do enjoy the satisfaction of DIY since I'm a car enthusiast. That's also what MCF is for, to share information and get input from other members. :D 

Of course, some just throw to workshop to handle everything and many don't even know how to check their fluids. Nothing wrong, they buy car just to drive but I buy car to enjoy and learn. :D 

when you change ATF via drain and fill, you only replace around 50% as the rest are still within the gearbox. thus 40k for me.

• Praise 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:10 AM, ER-3682 said:

I thought HDB/URA not allow Workshop in Carpark.?

Indeed lah, but 2 old man doing the job there quietly. So, no one disturb lor

4 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

when you change ATF via drain and fill, you only replace around 50% as the rest are still within the gearbox. thus 40k for me.

Hmm.. my current practice is ATF and ATF filter every 30k to 40k km. So, no difference?

17 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Hmm.. my current practice is ATF and ATF filter every 30k to 40k km. So, no difference?

actually if your car got atf dipstick. as long as the colour appear healthy ,  its good enough

12 minutes ago, Beregond said:

actually if your car got atf dipstick. as long as the colour appear healthy ,  its good enough

I never go beyond 40k for my ATF changes. More of preventive maintenance and less of unplanned repairs :D 

3 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Atf filter every other change

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1