DIY engine oil change

Beehive3783

31 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Why do you have to remove the ATF oil pan? Since the day I started driving, I have never removed the oil pan.

The ATF oil pan is also the ATF filter. You will see wire mesh and baffles to separate the metal shavings from the ATF.

If you encounter the transmission shifting not smooth, the ATF turn black or whatever noisy, it is recommended to replace. If you dont encounter issues can leave it alone. Most cars in sg the mileage is so low they usually dont encounter transmission issues(unless certain make year vw). My previous cars I just do the ATF change as per 40K km schedule, no issues, my mileage all under 150K km before I trade in.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Fitvip said:

Why do you have to remove the ATF oil pan? Since the day I started driving, I have never removed the oil pan.

To change the ATF filter.

• Praise 1

This is why I never service my car before driving up north.

So many cases I heard people service car and car break down in KL.

The mechanic never fixed back something securely.

I always come back JB and then change the oil and service lah.

:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

But if you DIY also got to get jacks and tools to lift up your car and do the oil change.

You have to buy these basic tools.

1-de70.jpg

And you do it where? MSCP?

Yes, and these parts are not extremely costly.

Do where? That's P&C :D 

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

$20-$30 just for labour is consider very cheap but I dunno what the workshop you go to looks like. LoL...

Do you bring your own oil filter too?

Yes, all consumables from me. 

44 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Much easier and cleaner to use extractor without needing to crawl under. Get an extractor with capacity larger than the volume of your engine oil. 

I will still have to crawl under because that's where my oil filter is :D  

• Haha! 1

(edited)
47 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

The ATF oil pan is also the ATF filter. You will see wire mesh and baffles to separate the metal shavings from the ATF.

If you encounter the transmission shifting not smooth, the ATF turn black or whatever noisy, it is recommended to replace. If you dont encounter issues can leave it alone. Most cars in sg the mileage is so low they usually dont encounter transmission issues(unless certain make year vw). My previous cars I just do the ATF change as per 40K km schedule, no issues, my mileage all under 150K km before I trade in.

Actually, the ATF filter is separate from the ATF oil pan. You drop the ATF oil pan to access the ATF filter :D 

I do know of some brands where you have the open the entire gearbox case to access the ATF filter. For those, just do regular ATF drain and fill, drive till gearbox up lorry then overhaul and change ATF filter at the same time :D 

Edited by Beehive3783

30 dollah is cheap lah...imagine having to live with the used oil till disposal...fire hazard some more...granted flash point is above 150c...just drop by any WS that does servicing and pass them the used oil...

I used to pay 30 dollah just for the labour and that was almost 10 years ago...buy own EO and filter oredi save quite a bit there...let others also got makan lah 😁

3 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Was $20, now $30. ATF oil change labour charge also increased a lot to $120.

But don't ask me which shop la. $20 was cheap when others already charging $30. But times are tough now so I'm feeling the pinch even at $30. :D 

I was thinking of doing my own oil changes all along but didn't feel the need, until now :D 

Wow. I got charged about 60 plus for my oil change for my Bimmer (I brought my own oil but they provided the filter, but that's what 15 bucks?). And I thought that's reasonable. Hmm. 

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Oic. Every time I changed ATF oil, the oil still looked so fresh. Even the mechanic also commented the oil still swee swee. Didn't know about the filter though. I know the nut is magnetic and it just needs cleaning when changing oil.

3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

I go there sometimes but I dont see anyone doing car servicing or oil change there.

Bro, the shop is Ho Hup Seng, it is a spare part supplier next to the fishing tackle shop. For the repairs, you ask the shop guy name "Ah Chye". His brother and another guy will repair or service those cars parked in the carpark lots. No WS rental except parking fees. Thus, they charge only a little for workmanship. 

I can vouch for their honesty. I never met anyone else so honest in dealings

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Jamesc said:

This is why I never service my car before driving up north.

So many cases I heard people service car and car break down in KL.

The mechanic never fixed back something securely.

I always come back JB and then change the oil and service lah.

Good policy. Drain out all old fluids at JB workshop and JB massage respectively. 😁

• Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, 1fast1 said:

Good policy. Drain out all old fluids at JB workshop and JB massage respectively. 😁

Fluid change is very important.

image.png.7bf6bc639052643a67b92a8d1d7a0e98.png

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Ppl will do it at ungodly hours to avoid being detected. Haha...

Actually there is a roadside workshop(it is not actually a workshop, you can call it a mobile workshop) I had encounter before at Tai Seng Ave. Cars serviced by the road type. The used engine oil is stored in oil barrels in a van. The unker mechanic will service the cars and dump the oil in his van. LoL... It is just outside the JTC industrial park. Maybe Beehive can ask the unker whether he can dump the oil in his van.

My office around there but never see him around leh. I only know the ws behind at Kim Chuan Close which has many -ve reviews.

2 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Yes, all consumables from me. 

If all the barang you bring your own of course they will charge abit more for labor lah. If not how ws want to survive. Mechanic also need yearly increment and AWS leh..

If item all from ws, they already put the price, adjust their profit margin already thats y the labor cheaper. But then again, labor fee depend on how good is your relationship level with the mechanics there also and repo with the ws.

2 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

To change the ATF filter.

No need to change filter everytime. Workshops like to scare monger. 40k atf changes with filter every other change is sufficient. 

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Actually, the ATF filter is separate from the ATF oil pan. You drop the ATF oil pan to access the ATF filter :D 

I do know of some brands where you have the open the entire gearbox case to access the ATF filter. For those, just do regular ATF drain and fill, drive till gearbox up lorry then overhaul and change ATF filter at the same time :D 

You not bmw or ZF. BMW or ZF oil pan is the filter as well. 

↡ Advertisement