Car repair and maintenance

oppyouknowme

Yup correct... total bill is $3000+, got to change everything... whole shock absorber assembly plus power steering rack (reconditioned) plus lower control arm plus drive shaft... plus bonnet support struts... all original parts...

Enough to pay for a family holiday somewhere...

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

On 10/24/2023 at 8:27 PM, teomingern said:

Anyone can recommend a good workshop west side? Maybe within the Toh Guan area? My car developed a clunking sound on the right front wheel. I suspect it's a suspension problem. I brought it to an AutoServ workshop at the Shell nearest my place and the mechanic hoisted the car, use his mobile phone torch and looked around. Then he came to me and said just change the entire front suspension. Quoted me $1540 for both sides, shocks, mounting, bumper, cover, link, etc. And he also said cos the car is wet, he can't really tell if the shock was leaking. So I said I come again tomorrow to let you check cos I was not willing to change everything if only 1 part is spoiled. He said ok can just change the link and see if it helps.

So eh... does this smell fishy? Or is this standard for workshops? I used to have a trusted mechanic who will diagnose and just replace the worn part but he's retired... so have to look for somewhere trustworthy... I don't mind paying but I don't want to just change if the mechanic doesn't really do any checking... just visual...

Let me know if you have any recommendations or any thoughts on the encounter above... I have very little experience with workshops cos I always used my old mechanic... so a little handicapped here...

Thanks in advance!

Torch light plus eye power...liddat I also can be a TCM lokun...aga aga try this and that to see if it helps...oh oh...remember to drink more water... 😁

elderly-tcm_edit_37564591935934.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

Got my car back... waited over an hour cos the boss was determined to sort out a clunking sound which he attributed to the new steering rack installed (reconditioned)... didn't manage to sort it out today... so he asked for me to bring the car back to sort it out...

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Choosing a workshop for your car repair and maintenance work is a very tricky thing, I believe in the mouth of words - if we ask several people and according to their experience, they suggest the same name of workshop then I can choose it. You also need to choose a company-specific workshop so that you can easily complain in case of bad repair work about it and raise your issues which can tackle. Next, you can also choose Workshop according to your insurance provider company so that there are two parties involved and you don't need to bear extra pain for all of your repair works.

4th Gear

This simple mechanic tool will at least help to  narrow down the noise generating source . Low investment with high return.

stethoscope.jpg

Neutral Newbie

Car Repair and Maintenance: Regular maintenance and timely repairs are essential for keeping your car in top shape. Whether you drive an SUV, convertible, or hatchback, certain tasks are crucial. Here are some key aspects of car care:

Tires: Regularly check tire pressure and tread depth. Consider all-weather tires for versatile conditions.
Oil Changes: Follow the manufacturer’s recommended intervals for oil changes. High-quality synthetic oils can prolong engine life.
Brakes: Monitor brake pads and replace them when needed. Properly functioning brakes are critical for safety.
Battery: Inspect the battery for corrosion and ensure proper connections. Learn how to jump-start your car if needed.
Body Work: Address dents and dings promptly. Car window tinting can also be a good idea.
Tools: Familiarize yourself with car jacks, torque wrenches, and other essential tools.
Remember, a well-maintained vehicle lasts longer, performs better, and uses less fuel. Don’t ignore warning lights or recommended maintenance schedules. For quality American auto parts and accessories, you can explore the All American Parts online shop https://allamerican-parts.com/de . Keep your ride running smoothly!

↡ Advertisement