Warm White vs LED (white) Street Lights

Rollagt

I was driving along some ulu roads at northern part of Spore, where I noticed the street lamps were orange (warm white). Then realised..hey, most the street lights were already replaced by modern LED white lights.

For a moment, the orange street lights sort of bring back memories of driving at night in Spore around 10 yrs ago. Back to the main roads, white LED street lights greeted me again..i cant help but to compare..orange lights gave me the calming feel and I like to drive slow and enjoy the night scenery with Class 95 turn on.

On the other hand, white LED lights keep me more alert, and focus more on the road since its brighter..but minus the 'feel' of calm-ness. If you ask me which do I prefer, I would say buzy roads install LED white and less buzy ones opt for orange.

↡ Advertisement

Internal Moderator

hahaha. I don't think they consider user experience in the changing of the blub. Durability, maintenance, and cost will be some of the major factor. 

I do agree with you that warm light will have a more smoothing feel. And in fact, if you realise our CTE turn toward outram is still using warm light throughout the whole tunnel. 

I have found the LTA street lighting guideline for your reference. 🙂 

https://onemotoring.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/onemotoring/Driving/Road_Safety/LTA_Streetlighting_Guidelines-05Apr19.pdf

• Praise 2

got light better than no light mah

ching cai lah

many countries still driving in darkness at night leh

we sinkie consider heng liao lor

my 2ml worth of ron92 🙈🙊🙉

• Haha! 4

I have seen the contrast at my place and I really feel some uneasiness. I leave home for my routine early in the morning and I see the different colours of street lights at the cross junction of Pasir Ris Drive 3 and 4. 

White along Drive 3 and warm along Drive 4. 

The street with white lights gives me the feeling of eeriness while I feel more comfortable in the street with warm lights.    

• Praise 2

38 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

As we are too bright, a lot of ppl don't switch on headlights.

digital dashboard created many can’t be bothered drivers

daytime heavy rain also never switch on headlights 

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Inlinefour said:

digital dashboard created many can’t be bothered drivers

daytime heavy rain also never switch on headlights 

Before that, already like that

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator

@Rollagt sorry but I can't help but to correct you

those older streetlights are considered warm lights (2700k to 3000k)

but the newer LED streetlights are warm-white (4000k to 4500k) which is considered as the brightest one IMO.

Back again, agree to you that those older ones do give me more relaxing feel.

Yet, I'm more confident driving under the LED lights though.

1 hour ago, Fitvip said:

I have seen the contrast at my place and I really feel some uneasiness. I leave home for my routine early in the morning and I see the different colours of street lights at the cross junction of Pasir Ris Drive 3 and 4. 

The street with white lights gives me the feeling of eeriness while I feel more comfortable in the street with warm lights.    

Same here, i prefer warmer lights on the road then those new white led lights but i'm biased cos nvr like white light, even my home mostly warm light unless my dad's room cos he like bright n white.. haha

• Praise 2

Below my place the straight road, about maybe 4-5 yr ago LTA (is it them?) changed all the yellow lights to white LED (I think) lights. Much brighter and i feel better for all road users (drivers, pedestrians, etc.).

inside my place i prefer white, while wife prefers warm...

i prefer white because i always buay tahan whenever stays in hotel, always like so dark till cannot see things one... paid so much for hotel room, then they so stingy on lights...

11 hours ago, Fitvip said:

White lights feel eerie and warm lights feel comfortable? Thought should be the other way round? cause warm lights remind me of those ulu ulu small lane road in LCY area when i was in army, which give me an eerie feel and also sian feel. Lol.

Anyway, when they first switched to white lights on the road, esp on the expressway, i dont get used to it. I find it too bright, and my eyes feels glaring and more tired when driving. But now get used to it a bit since now many of the roads are using white lights, cannot avoid. 

• Haha! 1

Warm lights should be used at home, restaurants, places to relax.

I prefer white lights for the roads so that we can see & be seen better.

18 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

If SG have haze, means got ghost liao. :grin:

Yah...some neighbour gao gui...anyhow burn...must remember to be thankful for the 11 moths of clean air hor 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2