Let's get E - Motional...

therock

There's something strange in the neighbourhood... 

Well, I've discovered something interesting during my baby fetching duties...

Near a childcare, I noticed that there was this place called "Motional", which was shuttered most of the time. When it's open, there are a lot of people who don't seem to let others see what's inside. I just assumed it was a warehouse and I didn't pay much attention or google the name until one day, when I did a very late pick up on a Saturday and I noticed the cars inside.. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_216b2.thumb.jpg.d87c51e1cc137b4eb7fcc36e26db2277.jpg

image.thumb.png.d217b8d67f82e5e824e905c9c877dbef.png

It's none other than the car that will be our local flagship in due time... and my interested was piqued..

image.thumb.png.7b3528e99e8b4e0f8f06165b3aff2f26.png

I then google the company and they are a company which does testing of driver-less cars all over the world and now they are in Singapore!

https://motional.com/news/motional-opens-new-singapore-operations-facility-expands-international-testing

A decade ago, Singapore began investing in the idea of autonomous vehicles and the promise that this technology could reshape how people move around the city. Now Motional, which benefited from these activities, is reinvesting back into its Singapore operations.

The company recently completed a multi-million dollar expansion project that doubled the amount of office and garage space, located in the heart of Singapore’s high-tech district, allowing Motional to grow its R&D and Operations footprint in the country. The investment reinforces Motional’s commitment to Singapore, as the company prepares to launch commercial passenger services in the U.S. in 2023, starting in Las Vegas, Nevada.

So we might be one of the places to try this out ..

And I am also keen on the Ioniq here, and it does look much better than some of the earlier EVs available..

image.thumb.png.f056040cbd15a8eb6d6b6500fbb4b984.png

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 15

8 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Curious all these companies come here, how many locals do they employ and at what levels? 😀

Maybe none for technical stuff.

We don’t have the necessary experts.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, therock said:

I’m going to see if I can catch one of them doing a test drive 🚘 

if i am not wrong, their test lab should be located around blk 77 Ayer Rajar Ave. I used to see those test cars around there when my office was at One North, though different model now. 

• Praise 1

39 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Maybe none for technical stuff.

We don’t have the necessary experts.

But... but.... but.... our universities top world-rankings leh. 

1 hour ago, therock said:

I’m going to see if I can catch one of them doing a test drive 🚘 

I'm going to see if I can jiak one of them and see how they react..... 

6 hours ago, Sosaria said:

But... but.... but.... our universities top world-rankings leh. 

Yah but but they are imported talent too! whahahahahhahaha..

school/education nowadays is to attract top brain to go higher ranking.. all abt $$.. 

Just wonder,will these ''Driverless'' Cars Hog the Highway at 90Km/h.?These Cars should have Sensor to read Road Speed Limit Signs.

• Haha! 2

11 hours ago, therock said:

There's something strange in the neighbourhood... 

Well, I've discovered something interesting during my baby fetching duties...

Near a childcare, I noticed that there was this place called "Motional", which was shuttered most of the time. When it's open, there are a lot of people who don't seem to let others see what's inside. I just assumed it was a warehouse and I didn't pay much attention or google the name until one day, when I did a very late pick up on a Saturday and I noticed the cars inside.. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_216b2.thumb.jpg.d87c51e1cc137b4eb7fcc36e26db2277.jpg

image.thumb.png.d217b8d67f82e5e824e905c9c877dbef.png

It's none other than the car that will be our local flagship in due time... and my interested was piqued..

image.thumb.png.7b3528e99e8b4e0f8f06165b3aff2f26.png

I then google the company and they are a company which does testing of driver-less cars all over the world and now they are in Singapore!

https://motional.com/news/motional-opens-new-singapore-operations-facility-expands-international-testing

So we might be one of the places to try this out ..

And I am also keen on the Ioniq here, and it does look much better than some of the earlier EVs available..

image.thumb.png.f056040cbd15a8eb6d6b6500fbb4b984.png

The future of car sharing / rental vehicle.... 

It eliminates the following

1) Distracted driving

2) Driving into road dividers

3) Driving into trees

4) Driving into other cars

5) Driving into walls and railings

Etc...

I think the range of the driverless car will be quite low because of the cameras, sensors and computers it has to power. Fully autonomous level...I have still doubts on it. Imagine the robot's AI have to be close to that of a human driver or better. It is even more difficult when lives of other drivers and pedestrians are at stake.