Tesla earns 8 times more profit than Toyota per car

steveluv

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

My personal opinion only, Tesla is over priced like iphone. Branding lah but people pays for brand lor. Eventually, EV will be cheap as it has very little mechanical parts. Even more so when batteries get improved. COE will goes up 😆

Price of Model 3 excluding COE is $122k.

For 300hp car, you cannot get anything cheaper than it

↡ Advertisement

58 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I think Toyota is right to hedge and not going all in on EV. The transition will take decades, from charging infrastructure to costly raw materials for EV batteries. 

The cheapest Tesla costs US$47k in US and the cheapest Toyota is a mere US$20k.  I am betting on the Chinese and Koreans to conquer the mass EV market. 

Don't think EV cost is coming down, not with all this rush into EV.  

Yes, it will be the race between china and Korea. Just watch to confirm in the coming years. Within the next 10 years?

• Praise 1

40 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Ev production cost is cheap only batt

meanwhile petrol car required more parts in engine bay

Yes. Cost of EV batteries has been falling for years but with price of lithium and nickel costing double or triple from 2-3 years ago and as long term supply contracts are repriced, EV prices may actually go up. It will slow adoption in developing markets, which is a lot more price sensitive. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Need 3 prong approach to solve this problem.

1. Charging station must be able to go beyond 150kw.  Currently, our charging station is 50kw.

2. Electricity "converter" in the car must be able to do it that fast.  Currently, it is very expensive.  It is found mostly in expensive EV.

3. Battery must be able to absorb that much energy that fast.

Currently, most of the fast charging cars are found in either Porsche or Merc

Agree, 50kW DC is actually really not very fast, although in my view still ok for opportunistic charging as and when you do your daily routine. I think Tesla supercharger network is the fastest in SG at 250kW. A quick top up to 80% can be as short as 20mins, good for a few hundred km, can almost match a typical petrol stop duration although i must say got many many more petrol stations to choose from than superchargers.

Actually after a while, no real issues with slow destination AC chargers in SG for typical user, just need have enough of them around at your home and workplace. Unless you happen to drive hundreds of km per day.

• Praise 3

15 hours ago, Starry said:

I see.  But what if when reach the charging point and there are other cars using it?  Still an inconvenience somewhat since the charging takes like hours.

Is there any EV that takes only 3-4 minutes to charge from empty to full like pumping petrol? That would be fast and no need waste time. 

You can check in the app whether the spot is occupied before heading over.

I don't think you can charge a battery in minutes yet (even phone battery also not so fast). But China has EV battery swap technology that takes about 5 mins plus minus.

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Starry said:

I will wait until EV charging like 3-4 minutes from empty to full before buying one.

I dun think I can wait 1-2 hours just for charging unless that charging point is next to where I live......😆

You don't wait for it just to charge. The point is you charge while you doing other things.

22 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

You don't wait for it just to charge. The point is you charge while you doing other things.

If I drive, mostly go hawker center buy food only, even then at most 20-30 minutes finish makan liow. 😁

Edited by Starry

8 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

You can check in the app whether the spot is occupied before heading over.

I don't think you can charge a battery in minutes yet (even phone battery also not so fast). But China has EV battery swap technology that takes about 5 mins plus minus.

For Nio car only

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Starry said:

If I drive, mostly go hawker center buy food only, even then at most 20-30 minutes finish makan liow. 😁

That’s enough for a few days of driving with 50kw DC charger

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

The more you charge, more faster the battery degrade.....

5 minutes ago, Si4dr said:

The more you charge, more faster the battery degrade.....

All EV has about 5% buffer or 5% degradation.

Most batteries charged up to 95% of total capacity.

100% shown is 100% of available capacity.

Degradation depends on full cycle of charge and discharge.

Top up in btw will not degrade battery

• Praise 1

18 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Likely to be Model Y.

If gulf wing door, it is Model X.

Tesla has always been lacking in design.

It is all about ease of production.

Yeah, then it is the Model X. I have never look at it second time , I don't even want to see how inside looks like cos I am already not interested in the look

1 minute ago, Arogab said:

Yeah, then it is the Model X. I have never look at it second time , I don't even want to see how inside looks like cos I am already not interested in the look

You are going to pay more if you want look.

Even Polestar 2 depreciation is higher than Model 3.

6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

You are going to pay more if you want look.

Even Polestar 2 depreciation is higher than Model 3.

I think we chatted before. I mentioned that before I would buy a car, I will walk around it and make sure every angle looks good to me.

Just like the latest BMW 5 series, all is OK except the tail lights design. Imagine I got to go into the car daily and say "My taillight I don't really like it" 

Worse for the Tesla, the entire body design shape is ugly. How to drive it daily and not feel anything. I maybe weird about this. But that's truly my own thinking.

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, Victor68 said:

My personal opinion only, Tesla is over priced like iphone. Branding lah but people pays for brand lor. Eventually, EV will be cheap as it has very little mechanical parts. Even more so when batteries get improved. COE will goes up 😆

Only way to bring down prices is competition. Competition to Tesla has been too slow but is just now starting... yet all the R&D costs not yet absorb so they cannot beat them on per car basis

Headline is misleading coz Tesla spent years in losses until now they reap the benefit

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Arogab said:

I think we chatted before. I mentioned that before I would buy a car, I will walk around it and make sure every angle looks good to me.

Just like the latest BMW 5 series, all is OK except the tail lights design. Imagine I got to go into the car daily and say "My taillight I don't really like it" 

Worse for the Tesla, the entire body design shape is ugly. How to drive it daily and not feel anything. I maybe weird about this. But that's truly my own thinking.

You are a Toyota man.  I don't think you will move to another brand.

I understand your POV.

To me, Tesla is a utilitarian car.  I will bother about how it drives or looks if I buy it.

It offers the best value for that hp.

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, yishunite said:

Only way to bring down prices is competition. Competition to Tesla has been too slow but is just now starting... yet all the R&D costs not yet absorb so they cannot beat them on per car basis

Headline is misleading coz Tesla spent years in losses until now they reap the benefit

For Sg context, Tesla is the cheapest EV (excl China Brand).

Lowest price and depreciation.

8 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

You are a Toyota man.  I don't think you will move to another brand.

I understand your POV.

To me, Tesla is a utilitarian car.  I will bother about how it drives or looks if I buy it.

It offers the best value for that hp.

I am not a Toyota Man, I just a man of my own liking. I did drive other different brands before. Just that I ended up current ride I love. 

I cannot imagine I am driving that stupid Tesla and then another same car comes in front of me and I say "Look at that ugly backside".....in fact it is also mine. Haha

Sorry Bros that drives Tesla, to each his own. I say without prejudice

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1