LTA to review rule for taxi drivers to check vehicles for lost items after each trip

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

image.thumb.png.523a8b49b5ede9558e6accf1d96aff88.png

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/taxi-driver-given-warning-lta-after-failing-search-vehicle-personal-items-left-passenger-3060091

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has agreed to review a rule where taxi drivers are required to search their vehicle for any items left behind by the passengers after a trip.

The National Taxi Association (NTA) and National Private Hire Vehicles Association (NPHVA) had reached out to LTA for an explanation and clarification after one taxi driver received a written warning by LTA for "having failed to search the vehicle for any property accidentally left behind by the hirer", said Yeo Wan Ling, Director of NTUC U SME and U Women and Family in a Facebook post on Friday (Nov 11).

Ms Yeo, who is also adviser to NTA and NPHVA, added that the associations reached out to LTA after drivers gave feedback and expressed concerns about the incident.

"Like our taxi and (private-hire vehicle) driving community, the NTA and NPHVA are concerned about the warning received by the driver and we reached out to the LTA for an explanation and clarifications on behalf of our P2P community," she said.

LTA clarified that this is a long-standing rule and serves as a good practice on the part of the driver, she added.

WARNING LETTER WITHDRAWN

LTA has decided to withdraw the warning letter to the taxi driver and shared that its intent was to "remind the driver on such good practices", said Ms Yeo.

An earlier Facebook post made by user Ong Boon showed a letter from LTA dated Oct 26 stating that the driver had made an appeal against the warning to the transport authority through Member of Parliament Tin Pei Ling on Oct 11. 

According to the letter, an investigation by LTA showed that on Jul 9 at about 1.26pm, the driver had failed to search his taxi for any items left by the passenger after the trip. 

"Hence, our investigation finds you liable for the offence of 'Failing to search vehicle for any property accidentally left by the hirer' under rule 39(1) of the (Road Traffic Rules)," the letter stated. 

Ms Tin, who is MP for Macpherson, said in a Facebook post on Friday that she had made two appeals on behalf of Mr Ong, who was also a resident of her constituency. 

"Along with my second appeal days ago, I separately asked LTA based on what did they conclude that my resident didn’t search the vehicle," she said. 

Rule 39(1) of the Road Traffic (Public Service Vehicles) (Vocational Licences and Conduct of Drivers, Conductors, Trishaw Riders and Passengers) states that immediately or before the end of the journey, the driver of a vehicle should search his vehicle for any property left behind. 

The letter also noted that a written warning was issued to the driver on Sep 28. It stated that LTA was "satisfied" with the investigation findings that the driver was liable for the offence and was hence unable to rescind the warning.

NO DRIVERS PROSECUTED

Ms Yeo's post also said that LTA has never prosecuted any driver for such breaches.

"Going forward, the LTA agreed to review the continued relevance of this rule together with stakeholders."

The Associations and the National Trades Union Congress believe that the safety of our drivers must be a top priority, she said, adding that the drivers' work conditions often do not allow them to "search for items accidentally left behind by hirers" safety and effectively. 

"While it is a good practice to have, it should not be an obligation that attracts penalties.

"We thank the LTA for withdrawing the letter of warning to our driver and will continue to work together with the LTA and other stakeholders to support our drivers."

Ms Tin said she is glad that LTA has acceded to her appeal and will be withdrawing the warning to Mr Ong. 

"I appreciate LTA’s willingness to review the matter and thank NTUC & the Associations for championing this as well."

image.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

passengers leave things behind, how can you fault the driver ?

if like that, bus drivers and mrt train drivers, must go around all the seats and inspect for things left behind after every trip.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 6

Alot of LTA Officers are Scholars..they sit in Aircon Office & used Computer just to write Letters or Warning,they knew NOTHING...🤣Like i always told them Malaysian Cars & Motorcycles all the Exhausts very LOUD..they always replied.."We will look into it"..

• Haha! 13

Just now, ER-3682 said:

Alot of LTA Officers are Scholars..they sit in Aircon Office & used Computer just to write Letters or Warning,they knew NOTHING...🤣Like i always told them Malaysian Cars & Motorcycles all the Exhausts very LOUD..they always replied.."We will look into it"..

Maybe they never tell me it is a reciprocal exemption

🤭

• Haha! 1

14 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

They need to follow the top pattern which is " We are monitoring...."

• Haha! 4

21 minutes ago, Strat said:

They need to follow the top pattern which is " We are monitoring...."

Monitor for Years..still no action taken.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

First we need to set up a 6 men panel. We will also need to set up another panel to review and appoint members of the first panel. Once the members of the panels are finalized, which will take about 2 years, we will start on the next course of actions. 

So don't worry, we are looking into it, and we thank you for your feed back. [thumbsup][:p][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 10

57 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Those people in LTA useless and hopeless la.

• Praise 3

16 minutes ago, Blueray said:

personal property is personal responsibility mah.

dunno who was the bright spark who came up with this rule.

LTA is ...

wordless. :o

I tink he also wants to know...simi sai...😁

What if one chiobu in short skirt hush hush board the taxi when someone just alighted...taxi lao turn to check...kena acuse of harrassement how? No yellow river here for taxi lao to jump into...😅

s-iswaran-at-multi-minister-task-force-press-conference_edit_511460165152162.jpg

• Haha! 4

I defend LTA har,

1. It is right and correct for cab drivers to check their vehicles for items that are left behind, deliberate or otherwise.

2. Cab drivers are renting other entity property to make a living, and hence owe it to themself and the property owner good stewardship which includes checking for errant items.

3. This check helps the safety of the cab driver ultimately.

Realistically, 50 notes left in door handle well, cellular phones, sneakers and the odd tissue wanton. Benign and a windfall for the driver or sinister plant... who knows.

SPH is big guy, wot to do...they should perhaps have left it to the lao jiao and some say raised by taxi drivers people to handle it. Not that Datsun knows anything regarding taxi driving or any aspect of it better than Rin Tin Tin.

Warning letter very useful to start bbq fire.

In cantonese, Taxi dept is a hand with closing fingers.

38 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Those people in LTA useless and hopeless la.

and lest we forget about the car-lite, e-scooters, pmds, e-bikes, etc. etc...

• Praise 5

2 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

and lest we forget about the car-lite, e-scooters, pmds, e-bikes, etc. etc...

Different department hor.

Dont keep asking Datsun how come he playground LTA. 

• Haha! 3

16 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I tink he also wants to know...simi sai...😁

What if one chiobu in short skirt hush hush board the taxi when someone just alighted...taxi lao turn to check...kena acuse of harrassement how? No yellow river here for taxi lao to jump into...😅

my friend say if chio bu leaves something in the car, Jurong West to Pasir Ris also not far, if dinobu leaves something in the car, the nearest dustbin is far enough.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 8