Oppo Mobile Phone Discussion Thread

Blueray

7 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Seems that after latest Color OS 13 update there is this setting named "Enhanced Intelligence Services" (I don't seem to have see it before the latest update) which is on by default after the update. Settings > Additional Settings > System Services > Enhanced Intelligence Services.

image_2023-01-15_001447610.png

image_2023-01-15_001502299.png

Mine is switched off. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

So, my Redmi Note 11 died. It won't read the SIM card. I tested with another phone and confirm it's the phone problem. Later, it works erratically, then finally died.

I'm tired of Xiaomi phones, POCO, Redmi. all died. I hate the Ads which I have to constantly removed. So I decide on a Oppo.

It was a Saturday morning CNY eve, fortunately, a photo shop was opened. I didn't know what to buy but decide to grab a budget phone for $189, Oppo A17K.

It was slower than my Redmi Note 11, but what I like most is the Color OS. It allows me to disable Maps, without additional 3rd party apps, and no stupid Ads to deal with. I understand Ads sort of subsidize Xiaomi phones. And Color OS can also disable build-in apps.

My main purpose is to run Grab, Gojek drivers app and Waze. So far, A17K can cope but a little slow when switching app. My next upgrade may be a mid-tier Oppo, so just looking for one around $400~$500.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

So, my Redmi Note 11 died. It won't read the SIM card. I tested with another phone and confirm it's the phone problem. Later, it works erratically, then finally died.

I'm tired of Xiaomi phones, POCO, Redmi. all died. I hate the Ads which I have to constantly removed. So I decide on a Oppo.

It was a Saturday morning CNY eve, fortunately, a photo shop was opened. I didn't know what to buy but decide to grab a budget phone for $189, Oppo A17K.

It was slower than my Redmi Note 11, but what I like most is the Color OS. It allows me to disable Maps, without additional 3rd party apps, and no stupid Ads to deal with. I understand Ads sort of subsidize Xiaomi phones. And Color OS can also disable build-in apps.

My main purpose is to run Grab, Gojek drivers app and Waze. So far, A17K can cope but a little slow when switching app. My next upgrade may be a mid-tier Oppo, so just looking for one around $400~$500.

why do u want to disable Maps? 

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

My next upgrade may be a mid-tier Oppo, so just looking for one around $400~$500.

not very familiar with mid tier phones. 

But oppo reno 7 Z (ie Lite) seems like u can get it for 470 dollars. But can consider getting oneplus CE nord 2 lite which is somewhat comparable specs and tad cheaper. But only has IPS LCD instead of amoled.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11458&idPhone3=11344&idPhone2=11907

The A96, A77s etc all are 4G phones. 

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Oppo A95 is going for around $300 on lazada and shopee.

6.43" amoled, 8+128, 4G, 33W fast charging, 5000mAh mattery.

2 years warranty.

• Praise 3

49 minutes ago, Blueray said:

Oppo A95 is going for around $300 on lazada and shopee.

6.43" amoled, 8+128, 4G, 33W fast charging, 5000mAh mattery.

2 years warranty.

This phone looks sleeker than iphone 14 le. The price of one iphone 14 can buy 4 of this Oppo A95 siah. 😅 So is this type of Oppo phone can buy or not? [confused]

Edited by 13177

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

why do u want to disable Maps? 

It's bcuz of Gojek app. When i start a trip, it will ask which navigational app to use: Maps or Waze. Since I use Waze exclusively, I don't need Maps. With Maps disabled, Gojek app does not ask the question anymore and straightaway launch Waze. That save me some time, as it bcum irritating, for every trip I have to go through this. 

With Grab app, I can pre-select which navigation to use, I don't have this problem.

I tried to use Maps quite a number of times, and every time I'm always frustrated with it. It has many flaws to me, as compared to Waze. An example is, if I move the map to see what's in front, Waze would auto re-centre back to my current position after a few seconds or moving a short distance. With Maps, you must manually re-centre every time. Then Maps would go into endless banter..blah..blah..blah. .. how long it takes to use this route or that route, totally unnecessary to me. Waze would just silently and efficiently re-route without being nagging.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, 13177 said:

This phone looks sleeker than iphone 14 le. The price of one iphone 14 can buy 4 of this Oppo A95 siah. 😅 So is this type of Oppo phone can buy or not? [confused]

A95 main shortcoming is the snapdragon 662, which is not fast.. though still faster than Helio G35 that powers the a17k.

• Praise 6

4 hours ago, Tkseah said:

A95 main shortcoming is the snapdragon 662, which is not fast.. though still faster than Helio G35 that powers the a17k.

Paiseh, what is snapdragon 662? 🤔

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Paiseh, what is snapdragon 662? 🤔

Snapdragon 662 is the processor used by a95. This processor is still using old cortex a73/a53 core design which are slow.  For snapdragon should go for min 690/695, which are significantly faster than 662/680.

• Praise 5

23 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

Snapdragon 662 is the processor used by a95. This processor is still using old cortex a73/a53 core design which are slow.  For snapdragon should go for min 690/695, which are significantly faster than 662/680.

Slow processor cannot make it for today tech world le. Wait open an app on phone take donkey years or maybe cannot support some apps? No wonder 一分钱,一分货. Lol.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:45 PM, 13177 said:

aiya, the Apple vs Android comparison can go on forever one lah. no point going there. have friends who are in the Apple camp and friends who are in the Android camp. am happy to be in the Android camp. 

On 1/24/2023 at 6:02 AM, Tkseah said:

noticed Oppo midrange phones sometimes use past season processors to probably save costs. my Oppo also came with a old Mediatek P90.

• Praise 4

47 minutes ago, Blueray said:

aiya, the Apple vs Android comparison can go on forever one lah. no point going there. have friends who are in the Apple camp and friends who are in the Android camp. am happy to be in the Android camp. 

noticed Oppo midrange phones sometimes use past season processors to probably save costs. my Oppo also came with a old Mediatek P90.

Budget phone models will have some compromise. The newer a96 comes with a newer (but still slow) snapdragon 680, but dropped the AMOLED.. haiz..

25 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

Budget phone models will have some compromise. The newer a96 comes with a newer (but still slow) snapdragon 680, but dropped the AMOLED.. haiz..

If lcd panel has good brightness and contrast I don't mind at all. 
Had used Huawei Mate 20 (non-pro) and daughter used iphone XR both phones their lcd panels are very good and energy efficient.
And lcd is generally more soothing for the eyes at night or in dim conditions due to less pronounced PWM (pulse-wave modulation) brightness control.
Also lcd not susceptible to burn-in and video black crust issues.
However a properly calibrated oled can mitigate some of the problems.

• Praise 1

I saw the Honor Magic 4 Pro selling at RM3699 in JB last week.... actually it's quite nice and thinking of getting except the warranty need to go back JB some outskirt area.....

22 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Had used Huawei Mate 20 (non-pro) and daughter used iphone XR both phones their lcd panels are very good and energy efficient.
And lcd is generally more soothing for the eyes at night or in dim conditions due to less pronounced PWM (pulse-wave modulation) brightness control.

My wife still using the Huawei Mate 20 (non-pro).. still a good phone with good cameras even by today's standards.  But when put side-by-side with a decent amoled (like our Samsung a71) can see the amoled is noticeably better.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

I think LCD has improved over the years too.

I have a 1yo Poco and the LCD colours are quite good. am impressed.

• Praise 1