'Kindness is contagious': Anonymous woman sponsors 100 bowls of laksa at hawker stall in MacPherson

Fitvip

Source: Asiaone. A Touching Story - People Facing Crisis Still Pays It Forward. Kudos. Hope He Wins The Battle.

'Kindness is contagious': Anonymous woman sponsors 100 bowls of laksa at hawker stall in MacPherson

image.png.8c6ae9c839654033bc220a393682c9d2.png

A bowl of laksa (left) and hawkers Charlie Soh alongside his wife Irene Leong (right). Facebook/Matilda Lim, Facebook/Charlie Soh

To celebrate a hawker's birthday, buying their food is likely to put a smile on their face.

Well, one customer went a step further when she decided to pay for 100 orders of laksa from 88 Katong Laksa in MacPherson to celebrate this hawker's birthday on Nov 6. 

Hawker Charlie Soh called it a wonderful surprise when the female customer, who chose to remain anonymous, called in on his birthday to make this contribution.

He then decided to pay her kindness forward by arranging for 100 elderly to come down to his stall for a free meal on two separate occasions. 

Alongside his wife, they gathered seniors from a nearby Active Ageing Centre in MacPherson.

Last Sunday (Nov 13), Soh headed to the Facebook group Hawkers United - Dabao 2020 and shared the positivity online.

Accompanying the post were pictures of some happy customers posing in front of his stall.

image.png.b3d4fe4b490d0a4dfcc99ae1b2fa2f36.pngPHOTO: Facebook/Charlie Soh

He announced that 50 seniors will be heading there tomorrow (Nov 15) at 3pm to enjoy their free bowl of laksa.

Soh wrote: "I'm looking forward to have [sic] continued support for the future events in December 2022."

Scrolling through Soh's Facebook page, it seemed that 88 Katong Laksa holds such events on a regular.

The positive vibes flowed into the comments section with birthday wishes aplenty for Soh.

One Facebook user reminded others how "kindness is contagious" while another gave props to both the hawkers and the sponsor for their act of kindness.

88 Katong Laksa was opened as Soh, who has stage 4 cancer, realised his wife would need to be able to earn a living in the event of his death, reported AsiaOne in April. 

FB钟雪莉

约 8 个月前

Came to support Aunty.
Her husband stricken by 4th stage of Cancer. She handles stall alone.
Manage to speak to Uncle Charlie. He had 4th stage cancer. Doc gave him one year to live. He had lost one kidney, pancreas and part of his liver. His lungs have white spots and 6 screws in his backbone. Chemo can’t help him much so he is on supplements now. When visit, do give Aunty some encouraging words. It means alot to her.

The latest update from Soh's Facebook page is that he had an operation on his neck in October 2022 and a cardiologist appointment next January to look forward to.

For now, the hawker is going strong, spreading kindness (and sharing his laksa) with hungry customers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 15

It is great to hear some news on kindness. Really happy to hear kindness being spread around.

If there is a newspaper that only write kindness and positive news, I will subscribe for sure. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Sure is contagious my MIL went to queue.

She was 103 and disappointed.

:D

Kindness shld start with u mah! Quick go buy her a bowl of laksa.. do add sea hum if she like 😁 

• Haha! 1

I buy her all the laksa she wants but free she so full also went down to grab.

Her philosophy full also cannot eat anymore free must also go down and grab.

Aiyoh some people eh!

:D

1 hour ago, Ody_2004 said:

Kindness shld start with u mah! Quick go buy her a bowl of laksa.. do add sea hum if she like 😁 

• Haha! 1

Then and again, there are at least some nice people still around. 

As I had mentioned, some or most of those hawkers are those people who can increase their salary. Anything increases price only, they raise price. Sucks.

Next time I go back, I shall support this stall

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, mikk123 said:

why ashamed? making more money in SG is never ashamed. making sky high COE should be ashamed. 

You know you are actually not wrong in saying in biz you want to have better returns. However, if you are holding to a subsidized stall, hawker center, then you have moral obligations to sell at the market rate. If you open a restaurant and pay a higher rent. $30 also nobody care. Those who wish to patronize can always do so. That is where the difference lor. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Windwaver said:

Loving husband; greatest respect.

respect-hat.gif

He is laying the ground work and preparing his wife's livelihood after he has left. 

↡ Advertisement