ICE Vehicles vs Electric Vehicles Savings

BabyBlade

Message added by BabyBlade,

4 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Most overseas landed either have a separate parking garage or the house is big enough that when a car catches fire, the house may be safe as it will still be a distance away, for small landed house like what we see in SGP, once a car catches fire, basically the whole house is at risk. 

one day it will be approved. this has to be outdoor rating to be approved , because front car porch may have water splashing during heavy rain and strong wind.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1429518/porsche-catches-fire-while-charging

BBQ Le. Porsche somemore....

probably outlet problem... but still. dangers of lithium batteries charging at home.

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Arogab said:

My car is running less than 6k km per year. I think nothing will change me till everyone has changed. Haha

the car in Thailand or in SGP? 

• Haha! 1

19 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1429518/porsche-catches-fire-while-charging

probably outlet problem... but still. dangers of lithium batteries charging at home.

This is an old case, i remember Porsche local AD there brushed it aside by saying it was a PI car,  unauthorised charging installation or something .😃😃

I could remember this case  because i was impressed by the size of the house, not the panamera🤣🤣

😃

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 6

37 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

plugged into an outlet in the living room??? really asking for it.

such stupid acts taint the image of EV charging.

If it is so dangerous, pls ask LTA and HDB to stop building charging points at HDB MSCP. Because one EV catch fire can burn away 500 cars in one night

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

9 minutes ago, Fitmugen said:

plugged into an outlet in the living room??? really asking for it.

such stupid acts taint the image of EV charging.

If it is so dangerous, pls ask LTA and HDB to stop building charging points at HDB MSCP. Because one EV catch fire can burn away 500 cars in one night

In Sg, can we use 32A plug for EV charger?

IMG_4252.jpeg

• Praise 1

42 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

In Sg, can we use 32A plug for EV charger?

IMG_4252.jpeg

Usually this kind of industrial is safer as they can take a higher current loading than a normal 3-pin outlet, and it has a built-in current controller. Also, the industrial plug socket side usually have isolator as well. There are companies selling similar cable as below, pretty much same thing except it has the mandatory EMA TR-25 certification so you in case you burn down your house/car, you still can blame it on EMA 🤣

image.thumb.png.9f1869228287cb557f987de880f42a7a.png

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Haha! 4

Neutral Newbie

Pls, there are loopholes in the comparison.. 1. Why was maintenance not factored in?? Well, X3 repair costs can easily cross over thousands due to engine or gearbox failures (common in BMWs).. 
2. Even if insurance and road tax cost higher for ix3, the cost savings from annual charging would've covered the losses. 
3. Comparing both, ix3 are lower in noise emissions than x3 thus smoother rides to Malaysia (KL or Penang) would be pleasurable. 
4. It is safe to have ev turned on even in idling mode whilst leaving x3 on would've have disastrous undesirable outcomes (due to monoxide poisoning)... 

On 11/21/2022 at 12:13 PM, t0y0ta said:

They can always U-turn when it is near 2030, they can just say the market has not evolved as expected blah blah blah, allow ICE cars till 2035 etc

On 11/21/2022 at 11:19 AM, Vidz said:

car ownership is about time-saving and conveniences.  EV is the opposite even with quick charge; the infrastructures are also years behind.  the dino taxes are also an oxymoron since they are cash-cows for the gahment; scholars shunned like vegetables; cannot ownself slap ownself. end up self=pwned.

2030 is the EV hard reset. will be interesting then 😀

We have 8 years, for a small city state, I am pretty sure we will get there by 2030. I just hope I won’t end up with an ugly Tesla. 

Charging infrastructure are not hard to fix (commercial players installing fast chargers in shopping centres and at petrol stations with SP adding slow chargers at public car parks).

As for fuel taxes, at $900m collection a year, it is not difficult to cover with more GST ($13b), higher property taxes ($5b), higher COE prices ($4b a year) or just upping ARF ($2.5b a year).  Taxing the rich to cover private transport is a given.

Don’t see G discriminating electricity consumption based on usage type. There are easier ways to skin the cat. 
5E1DB6A1-07C8-4CB3-8E6F-EEA84C4FD017.thumb.jpeg.fcd85bdc22ea0f49d4f40e3a0b56bf52.jpeg

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

We have 8 years, for a small city state, I am pretty sure we will get there by 2030. I just hope I won’t end up with an ugly Tesla. 

Charging infrastructure are not hard to fix (commercial players installing fast chargers in shopping centres and at petrol stations with SP adding slow chargers at public car parks).

As for fuel taxes, at $900m collection a year, it is not difficult to cover with more GST ($13b), higher property taxes ($5b), higher COE prices ($4b a year) or just upping ARF ($2.5b a year).  Taxing the rich to cover private transport is a given.

Don’t see G discriminating electricity consumption based on usage type. There are easier ways to skin the cat. 
5E1DB6A1-07C8-4CB3-8E6F-EEA84C4FD017.thumb.jpeg.fcd85bdc22ea0f49d4f40e3a0b56bf52.jpeg

I don't mind Tesla as EV is an appliance (My POV).

Tesla has the most transparent price among the choice there.

• Haha! 1

Global warming is because we pump CO2 into the air and the ocean is rising.

The solution is not electric cars but petrol cars.

Use electricity to suck CO2 from the air and combine it with hydrogen from water to make petrol.

Then use the petrol to power cars!

Less CO2 in the air and sea levels will fall.

:D 

I share the same sentiments as most of the brothers and sisters here. ICE vehicles have dominated the market for years and it is difficult to sway towards EV overnight.

infrastructure wise, Singapore is probably the best country to see it effectively implemented, given that we are a dot in the world map. If we cannot do it, then who else trust our government to deliver and to invest in Singapore? 

For EV to replace ICE, it needs time to do so. Why? The second hand dealers have plenty of such cars to sell. The dealers have balance stocks to clear. The workshops need time to restructure and to play catch up. Not to mention the current batch of ICE vehicles on the road. Surely the owners would like to trade in their cars when buying a new one. Good for all parties to be able to transit slowly and steady at minimal loss. Hence it is always better to read or consider such comparison review with a pinch of salt. 

However, being a forerunner in gov policy, there is always a risk. Policy makers may not be driving EV or afford one. Hence, Forerunners either bang the wall or they reap the rewards while others play catch up. 

The world is revolving everyday. It is our mindset that mould our lifestyle. As an EV user, I invest in a piece of modern technology perfected over the years of implementation in ICE vehicles. The best is no exhaust.

A car is always a want, never a need. It is either you can afford it or you cannot. The direction is set and we just have to move with time.

I do support Tesla, amaze by their innovation in tech, but not the owner’s antics. So I decide to cast my vote in other brands. Not price transparent but great trade in for my old car. No complaints lor. I am a happy user of EV. I really appreciate the reserved parking lots for ev charging. There are also many kind ev users who share the charging infrastructure with me when they are done. 

I share the same sentiments as most of the brothers and sisters here. ICE vehicles have dominated the market for years and it is difficult to sway towards EV overnight.

infrastructure wise, Singapore is probably the best country to see it effectively implemented, given that we are a dot in the world map. If we cannot do it, then who else trust our government to deliver and to invest in Singapore? 

For EV to replace ICE, it needs time to do so. Why? The second hand dealers have plenty of such cars to sell. The dealers have balance stocks to clear. The workshops need time to restructure and to play catch up. Not to mention the current batch of ICE vehicles on the road. Surely the owners would like to trade in their cars when buying a new one. Good for all parties to be able to transit slowly and steady at minimal loss. Hence it is always better to read or consider such comparison review with a pinch of salt. 

However, being a forerunner in gov policy, there is always a risk. Policy makers may not be driving EV or afford one. Hence, Forerunners either bang the wall or they reap the rewards while others play catch up. 

The world is revolving everyday. It is our mindset that mould our lifestyle. As an EV user, I invest in a piece of modern technology perfected over the years of implementation in ICE vehicles. The best is no exhaust.

A car is always a want, never a need. It is either you can afford it or you cannot. The direction is set and we just have to move with time.

I do support Tesla, amaze by their innovation in tech, but not the owner’s antics. So I decide to cast my vote in other brands. Not price transparent but great trade in for my old car. No complaints lor. I am a happy user of EV. I really appreciate the reserved parking lots for ev charging. There are also many kind ev users who share the charging infrastructure with me when they are done. 

18 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

My toaster is usually out of sight and out of mind.  I also don't caress the round corner of my toaster, although its beauty is slightly above that of a model 3.  😂

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Direct appliance sales is better for consumers, would be perfect if Elon passed on those savings (he still makes more than Toyota per vehicle) to buyers since he protrays himself a savior of humankind. 🤣😃

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Voodooman said:

My toaster is usually out of sight and out of mind.  I also don't caress the round corner of my toaster, although its beauty is slightly above that of a model 3.  😂

Since EV don't have as much weakness as ICE, i treat it like appliance rather than car.

I seriously don't know why so many people think that purchasing a Tesla equals supporting Elon Musk. We ought to differentiate between purchasing a company's product and the individual that controls the company. Its like buying an Apple product in the past, when it was clear that the late Steve Jobs wasn't a particularly nice person. For the record, I don't particularly like Elon Musk's egoistic behaviour, but the Telsa product is great, and more importantly the ongoing software optimisation and updates over the air after purchase is the most impt USP my opinion.

For example, i was really quite impressed from an engineering perspective by one of the latest upgrades in the latest software updates pushed down this week. To most ppl, it is a minor inconsequential thing but to me, i recognise that it is not easy to implement. Most cars nowadays have the 2 stage turn signal setting, flick lightly to keep the turn signal on for 3 blinks for lane change or flick firmly to keep the turn signal on until you deactivate it or after the steering wheel turning exceeds a certain degree and returns to centre thereafter. Some cars like my previous bimmer can customise and  'code' to have the turn signal to blink longer, eg 5 blinks, but the turn signal is really quite a standalone function. The latest tesla update seems to have combined the car inbuilt camera vision logic with the turn signal, so the turn signal stays on, until you complete the lane change and even smart enough to recognise the lane markings on the floor, to keep the signal lights on after you make a lane change if there is a left or right turn coming up. Imagine the software behind it!

I would be much less impressed if this feature already came with the car, but having it updated over the air is amazing, like the car is always being optimised after you purchased it. 

↡ Advertisement