2023 6th Generation Nissan Serena (C28)

Carbon82

On 11/29/2022 at 10:48 AM, Carbon82 said:

While it look more like a facelift of the 5th gen Serena (C27), this actually a brand new model from Nissan, and it is now available in 3 drive train options: petrol only, petrol hybrid and ePower (EV). 

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_28.jpg

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_4_031101510

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_1_039b01130

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_8_02c700000

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_32_03110000

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_13_0337011f

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_251.jpg

nissan_serena_highway_star_v_9_040300571

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_12.jpg

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_9.jpg

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_58.jpg

nissan_serena_e-power_luxion_71.jpg

The gasoline version uses a 2.0-liter naturally aspirated engine with 150 horsepower (110 kilowatts) and 200 Newton-meters of torque offered with or without all-wheel drive and a CVT. There's also a hybrid e-Power model (2WD only) with a new and quieter 1.4-liter engine producing 98 hp (72 kW) and 123 Nm. Combined with the electric motor, the total system output is 163 hp (120 kW) and 315 Nm.

Is this just launched in Japan?

Wonder how long before TC brings it in, and if so, will they strip down to bare minimum again, like the current model...

The current model has been selling well for TC, and likely single-handedly kept Nissan alive in the last 2-3 years. It's the only full-size MPV that was affordable, from an AD. Despite it not having the pro-pilot, electronic parking brake, auto-dim rear-view mirror, etc. there were still many people who bought it, for the practical reason.

Van or not, it can sit 7 comfortably, which is what is important.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

23 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Welcab is a feature available in a lot of Jap MPV.

There are ppl complain about e-power going into limp mode while going up Genting 

Thought genting halfway climb got downhill? Thats the time to charge

but the e power can only last few corner climb lol

• Haha! 2

22 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Is this just launched in Japan?

Wonder how long before TC brings it in, and if so, will they strip down to bare minimum again, like the current model...

The current model has been selling well for TC, and likely single-handedly kept Nissan alive in the last 2-3 years. It's the only full-size MPV that was affordable, from an AD. Despite it not having the pro-pilot, electronic parking brake, auto-dim rear-view mirror, etc. there were still many people who bought it, for the practical reason.

Van or not, it can sit 7 comfortably, which is what is important.

Yes, just announced in Japan. The petrol version will be available starting next month (Dec 2022), while the hybrid version will go on sales Q1 next year. No news on the ePower variant yet, by likely to be in early Q2. So in local context, the earliest TC can get the new Serena on our shore shall be between Q1 (petrol) to Q2 (hybrid).

Now that most auto manufacturers has stop production of MPV (the latest been Citroen C4 SpaceTourer, Honda Odyssey & VW Sharan), there are very limited choice if you are in the market for one, and none is likely to win a beauty contest.

Compact

• BMW 2GT
  • Honda Freed
  • Toyota Sienta
  • VW Touran

Mid-Size

• Honda Stepwgn
  • Nissan Serena
  • Toyota Noah / Voxy

Large-Size

• Hyundai Staria
  • Kia Carnival
  • Mercedes-Benz V-Class
  • Nissan Elgrand
  • Opel Zafira-e Life
  • Toyota Alphard / Vellfire

• Praise 9

10 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Buy PHEV to optimise the charging part.  Without that, just skip this variant lo.

You ole skool never carry bag 1, of course mafan for you.

I always have a bag that has all the necessary stuff😂

But phev also not that cheap. You pay to carry quite a large capacity battery plus the conversion engine. 
yes best of both worlds but need to pay more vs normal hybrid and whether you can take back the difference is another matter. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

But phev also not that cheap. You pay to carry quite a large capacity battery plus the conversion engine. 
yes best of both worlds but need to pay lor. 

Prius vs Prius Prime

1.8L vs 1.8L
2 kWh vs 8kwh 

1.4 tonne vs 1.5 tonne

USD 25k vs USD 29k

I don’t like hybrid. It is either ICE or EV.

14 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Yes, just announced in Japan. The petrol version will be available starting next month (Dec 2022), while the hybrid version will go on sales Q1 next year. No news on the ePower variant yet, by likely to be in early Q2. So in local context, the earliest TC can get the new Serena on our shore shall be between Q1 (petrol) to Q2 (hybrid).

Now that most auto manufacturers has stop production of MPV (the latest been Citroen C4 SpaceTourer, Honda Odyssey & VW Sharan), there are very limited choice if you are in the market for one, and none is likely to win a beauty contest.

Compact

• BMW 2GT
  • Honda Freed
  • Toyota Sienta
  • VW Touran

Mid-Size

• Honda Stepwgn
  • Nissan Serena
  • Toyota Noah / Voxy

Large-Size

• Hyundai Staria
  • Kia Carnival
  • Mercedes-Benz V-Class
  • Nissan Elgrand
  • Opel Zafira-e Life
  • Toyota Alphard / Vellfire

Why not this china mpv?

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8Rr7Qn4/

On 11/30/2022 at 9:35 AM, Arogab said:

What do you think? You can run an engine directly with petrol and yet you choose to use petrol to run the generator and then in tun run the motor and say it saves money.

I never know how the calculation is done. But my friend is not a car man. Good for use and save petrol only. No need power. Haha

On paper, the e-power concept seems to be a god-sent for people who wants the quietness and instant torque of electric motor, yet don't want to face the hassle of charging. In real life, i think this technology still needs some improvement.

I recently test drove the Nissan Kicks e-power, just to satisfy my curiosity of this technology. 

My observation is that the engine kicks in when I accelerate a little harder (NOT pedal to metal) or drive more spiritedly/overtaking. Was observing the battery level and it is well above 50%, not sure why does the engine keep kicking in. I guess it's because the battery alone cannot supply enough power during harder acceleration?

Overall, I feel that the 1.2L engine kicks a little too frequently than I was expecting so much so that made the overall feel more like an ICE car than an EV.

I understand that a facelift model with a bigger battery and more powerful motor is coming in, maybe that can make the driving experience closer to an EV.

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 1

49 minutes ago, steveting99 said:

How loud is it compared to the previous generation (C27)?

I think for this, you'd have to go for a test drive to see if it is acceptable to you. 

The Kicks (pre facelift) that I test drove should be using the same motor and 1.2L engine as the previous generation Serena. I do notice it when it comes alive, but that is in no way intrusive or rough. So unless the Serena improves on the insulation and dampening, i think the 1.2L engine will feel like a typical ICE car.

17 hours ago, Rickster said:

On paper, the e-power concept seems to be a god-sent for people who wants the quietness and instant torque of electric motor, yet don't want to face the hassle of charging. In real life, i think this technology still needs some improvement.

I recently test drove the Nissan Kicks e-power, just to satisfy my curiosity of this technology. 

My observation is that the engine kicks in when I accelerate a little harder (NOT pedal to metal) or drive more spiritedly/overtaking. Was observing the battery level and it is well above 50%, not sure why does the engine keep kicking in. I guess it's because the battery alone cannot supply enough power during harder acceleration?

Overall, I feel that the 1.2L engine kicks a little too frequently than I was expecting so much so that made the overall feel more like an ICE car than an EV.

I understand that a facelift model with a bigger battery and more powerful motor is coming in, maybe that can make the driving experience closer to an EV.

Engine kicks in due to battery alone cannot sustain the voltage, when engine kicks in, there will be a higher voltage to power the car. What I am talking about is the losses from the generator and the losses from the battery to transmission. Does not justify the efficiency accept you can say it drives better due to the EV effect. I just wonder how much saving you get from there compare to Hybrids.

2 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Engine kicks in due to battery alone cannot sustain the voltage, when engine kicks in, there will be a higher voltage to power the car. What I am talking about is the losses from the generator and the losses from the battery to transmission. Does not justify the efficiency accept you can say it drives better due to the EV effect. I just wonder how much saving you get from there compare to Hybrids.

This is also Hybrids.

It is series Hybrid.

I don’t think there is much saving as compared to Voxy Hybrid 

• Praise 1

Just now, inlinesix said:

This is also Hybrids.

It is series Hybrid.

I don’t think there is much saving as compared to Voxy Hybrid 

Yeah, you are very right, series hybrid is the term but how to collect back the losses. Toyota hybrid collect the losses and turn them into power in theory

• Praise 1

Just now, Arogab said:

Yeah, you are very right, series hybrid is the term but how to collect back the losses. Toyota hybrid collect the losses and turn them into power in theory

I believe generator Is bidirectional.

During braking, generator will reverse like dynamo and generate power into battery.

With such a small battery, very fast charge and discharge.

Battery gg faster

• Praise 1

32 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I believe generator Is bidirectional.

During braking, generator will reverse like dynamo and generate power into battery.

With such a small battery, very fast charge and discharge.

Battery gg faster

Sounds logical, then it can be closer to Hybrid, now I wonder how stable and reliable. Haha. I don't support Nissan lah, buying and selling one made me loose a lot of money. 

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Sounds logical, then it can be closer to Hybrid, now I wonder how stable and reliable. Haha. I don't support Nissan lah, buying and selling one made me loose a lot of money. 

Nissan not so ex unless GTR. How can it be a big loss for towkay. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2