Ilhan Fandi set to leave Singapore Premier League for overseas football club

StreetFight3r

Ilhan-Fandi.png.703cd1d873d650619277742896ea761a.png

SINGAPORE – Local football’s Young Player of the Year Ilhan Fandi is ready to fly the coop to further his development as a player.

After scoring 20 goals in 27 Singapore Premier League (SPL) and Singapore Cup matches for Albirex Niigata in 2022, Ilhan confirmed he will not be playing in next season’s SPL. But he was coy when asked about his next destination.

He told The Straits Times: “I think I had a good season this year, and my goal has always been to go overseas and test myself even more in a different environment. I feel it’s best to make the move now, and everything will be finalised soon.”

The 20-year-old forward is with the national team in Chiba, Japan, for their Dec 1-12 training camp in preparation for the Asean Football Federation Championship, which kicks off on Dec 20.

ST understands that Belgian second-tier club KMSK Deinze is the likelier of two options for him.

Deinze are eighth in the 12-team Challenger Pro League with six matches left. After a rough start this season, they have suffered just one loss in their last seven games and are the only non top-flight club in the last 16 of the Belgian Cup.

This is their third season in the second tier after they gained promotion in 2020 by winning the Belgian First Amateur Division.

Interestingly, Deinze were taken over in January by Singapore-based investment fund ACA Football Partners, which is hoping to make the club the centre of its multi-club ownership model. 

It is aiming to play in the top tier when it celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2026.

Ilhan’s other option is Austin FC’s second team in the Major League Soccer (MLS) Next Pro league in the United States. 

The American side will launch their Next Pro team in 2023 to play in the second season of what is effectively the third tier of the US league system, below the MLS and United Soccer League Championship.

Once Ilhan commits, he will become the first Singaporean footballer to ply his trade in the country he picks. He will also be following in the footsteps of his family members who had ventured overseas.

His famous father Fandi Ahmad played for Dutch side Groningen (1983-1985) among other foreign teams, while older brothers Irfan and Ikhsan Fandi are now with Thailand’s BG Pathum. Ikhsan had also featured for Norway’s second-tier teams Raufoss (2019-2020) and FK Jerv (2020-2021).

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/football/football-singapore-starlet-ilhan-fandi-set-for-overseas-move?utm_campaign=stfb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

sillypore too pro ft

Local talent got to leave

sad but true

gov only interested in grooming ft

they have lost roots and directions 

still never learn from c19

another pandemic ft all go back motherland

there is no way to naturalise a ft lah

even issue them citizenship

• Haha! 1

51 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

sillypore too pro ft

Local talent got to leave

sad but true

gov only interested in grooming ft

they have lost roots and directions 

still never learn from c19

another pandemic ft all go back motherland

there is no way to naturalise a ft lah

even issue them citizenship

Not really. Our pool too small.

For Japan national team, I think they have at least 7 Bundesliga Player.

Without European exposure, players will not improve 

• Praise 2

18 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Not really. Our pool too small.

For Japan national team, I think they have at least 7 Bundesliga Player.

Without European exposure, players will not improve 

pool small because only 1 race playing .

during my sec sch days, we dont join sch team,

parent dont allow is main reason, after u get pass your parent, got the cb teacher. biased 1, choose color only.

in the end, all the best chinese players playing soccer in basketball court. 

• Haha! 5

34 minutes ago, DylanChen said:

parent dont allow is main reason, after u get pass your parent, got the cb teacher. biased 1, choose color only.

It is worsen by lost of 2 years.

Soccer may be got ways to track their performance.

Singapore Cycling Federation sponsored best local to ride in top tier Pro Team.

This man was riding in 1 of the best team in Asia. He helps the team to win a lot of races.

In his 6 months stint with Pro Team, he DNF more than 60% of the time.

That’s level difference btw best in Sg vs Top tier team

• Praise 4

I think the mindset and attitude will change for him. He will represent country and his father's name. More or less have to live up to the latter. Nevertheless the exposure will be good for him rather than playing forever for local leagues. For local parents I dont think they will be as supportive as his parents. That is an issue here. Studies come first. Got to say he is fortunate cos his dad has been there done that so that he could avoid making the same mistakes. Good luck to him.

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, DylanChen said:

No worries, there is target 2034 for World Cup.  Things will improve.  lol.....

• Haha! 1

In my Sec school days, all Chinese students played Badminton, Basketball, Volleyball and Table-tennis.

The other races enjoyed Sepak Takraw, Football, sometimes end up " Footbrawl, so when the goal-keeper gets injured, the Football Captain  ( same classmate ) came over to borrow me to be the replacement goalkeeper coz we are good@ catching high ball, but come to kicking goal-kick, the football Cpt takes over, this is Internal affair between the Basketball Cpt & football Cpt 🤗

Win liao lor

• Haha! 1

On 12/12/2022 at 1:10 PM, Jamesc said:

Don't make the mistake his father made leaving Ajax and playing for an Indonesian side.

:D

He even played with Johan Cruyff. 

F.A left Ajax becoz he could not adapt well to the cold weather plus the foods are not comfort tombs stomach due to European trainings,  physical aspect of techniques, in those days there wasn't any local ex-national players who have had overseas experiences and exposure to mentor him. Fandi loves football so much that his grandma prep his favourite " mini curry. sardine puff- Apox apox  " more than he can chew, that was one of his reasons he left for Indonesian club who can offer him that kindred home foods . . .

Second he trusted people easily but his failure are " Poor financial planning " over his business failure coz he was busy with football and his partnerships are not business liked people, thy took advantages on his generosity & humility.

Hope he does well. Europe is where the real test is.

Second brother gave it a go in Norway, was hoping he went on to greater things. A bit disappointed he went to Thailand.

↡ Advertisement