800-seat Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre with 44 stalls to open on Dec. 17

BabyBlade

1 minute ago, Dafansu said:

Punggol Hawker I find it most food are rather expensive. Visited once, don't think will go often though staying nearby. Can see quite a number of reviews on the pricing. 

ya. i got the same feeling also. 
Dun know i bias or not, but i think old HC like jurong east, boon lay still cheaper.

↡ Advertisement

5 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Cos of politics? LoL...Ppl there not happy only will vote for opposition. Haha...

But dont quote me.😆

Suppose to be ready by 1st half of 2020

27 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

HC so many stalls, usually can find at least 1-2 not bad ones lah. Survival of the fittest.

but once long Q becum bo ho jiak liao 🙈🙊🙉 

kan cheong spider syndrome 😁😁😁

2 hours ago, Beregond said:

ya. i got the same feeling also. 
Dun know i bias or not, but i think old HC like jurong east, boon lay still cheaper.

Partly because the surrounding catchment area have more blue collar/retirees with limited purchasing power. Hence its restricted. 
Or depends what u sell also lah. Fishball noodles, u can't sell too expensive even if fishball price goes up, cos its often a lao lang favorite LOL

Also older generation hawkers, lot of them are not that anxious about financial security as the younger generation. Hence they don't move prices up that quickly.

• Praise 3

Operator steps in

In response to queries, Canopy Hawkers Group, the operator of Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre, told Mothership that the goal was to make Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre an environmentally-friendly venue.

Diners are encouraged to bring their own takeaway containers, the group said.

Given the public's response, the range of takeaway container pricing has since been standardised across the board for all the hawker stalls.

Joey Tan, the managing director of Canopy Hawkers Group, said: "We are aware that there has been feedback from the public on the prices of takeaway packaging charged at Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre."

"However, we have taken in the feedback and have quickly worked with our stallholders. We are also assisting our stallholders by sourcing and introducing vendors who offer bulk-buy programmes for takeaway packaging to keep costs low."

"All takeaway packaging will now be no more than 30 cents."

https://mothership.sg/2022/12/takeaway-container-80-cents/

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/some-hawkers-new-sembawang-hawker-centre-lament-losses-30-cent-cap-takeaway-packaging

Some hawkers at new Sembawang hawker centre lament losses with 30-cent cap on takeaway packaging

Some hawkers at new Sembawang hawker centre lament losses with 30-cent cap on takeaway packaging

Wu, the owner of the Korean stall at Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre, showing reporters the eco-friendly takeaway containers his stall uses.

Shin Min Daily News

Since its opening just five days ago, there has been much ado over the new Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre, particularly over the cost of the stalls' takeaway containers there. 

On Monday, it was reported that a customer allegedly walked away from a Korean stall at that hawker centre upon hearing that they charged 80 cents for takeaway containers. 

As part of the hawker centre's green initiatives, all stallholders are required to use environmentally-friendly takeaway packaging. 

Responding to customers' gripes, Canopy Hawkers' Group, which manages Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre, told AsiaOne then that all takeaway packaging at the hawker centre will now cost "no more than 30 cents". 

However, that 30-cent cap has seemingly hurt the bottom lines of some hawkers there, with some of them having to absorb part of the cost of the takeaway containers. 

Speaking to reporters from Shin Min Daily News on Wednesday, the owner of the Korean stall, surnamed Wu, explained that one set of eco-friendly packaging costs him about 50 cents.

With the prevailing GST, eco-friendly utensils and plastic bags, the total cost for a takeaway order comes up to almost a dollar, he reckoned. 

Wu said that he was initially charging customers 80 cents for a takeaway order but is now forced to absorb even more of the cost due to the new rule — which leads to a loss of almost $100 a day, working out to some $3,000 a month.

"The management said they'd be in touch with us, to see if they have better solutions to tackle the issue," said Wu. 

Customers encouraged to use own containers

Wu isn't the only stall owner that's feeling the pinch. 

Liu, the owner of a Japanese rice bowl stall, says that the eco-friendly takeaway packaging costs her 60 cents a set, reported the Chinese daily. 

She was originally charging customers 50 cents prior to the price cap. But now, she has to adjust her takeaway charge to 30 cents, subsiding half of the cost.

Sharing her woes with the Chinese daily, Liu said: "It's not easy to find eco-friendly packaging. The management has given us a list of suppliers, and I'm trying to look for one that offers [takeaway packaging] at a cheaper price. 

"Currently [my supplier] has lowered the price because I ordered in bulk. It would have been more costly if I ordered lesser." 

Besides mandating the use of takeaway packaging, the Canopy Hawkers' Group is also encouraging customers who do takeaway orders to bring their own reusable containers. 

Additionally, disposable crockery and utensils will not be served to customers who dine-in at the hawker centre. 

The group previously told AsiaOne then that it aims to make Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre a green hawker centre through green practices.

"For example, we reduce the use of disposables and work with all our stallholders to ensure that disposable crockery and utensils will not be served for patrons who dine-in at the hawker centre," added Tan. 

"For patrons who do takeaway orders, we will encourage them to bring their own reusable containers."

AsiaOne has contacted the group for further comment. 

221222_takeaway%20packaging_Shin%20Min.j

On 12/23/2022 at 10:41 AM, Windwaver said:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/some-hawkers-new-sembawang-hawker-centre-lament-losses-30-cent-cap-takeaway-packaging

Wu, the owner of the Korean stall at Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre, showing reporters the eco-friendly takeaway containers his stall uses.

Shin Min Daily News

Since its opening just five days ago, there has been much ado over the new Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre, particularly over the cost of the stalls' takeaway containers there. 

On Monday, it was reported that a customer allegedly walked away from a Korean stall at that hawker centre upon hearing that they charged 80 cents for takeaway containers. 

As part of the hawker centre's green initiatives, all stallholders are required to use environmentally-friendly takeaway packaging. 

Responding to customers' gripes, Canopy Hawkers' Group, which manages Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre, told AsiaOne then that all takeaway packaging at the hawker centre will now cost "no more than 30 cents". 

However, that 30-cent cap has seemingly hurt the bottom lines of some hawkers there, with some of them having to absorb part of the cost of the takeaway containers. 

Speaking to reporters from Shin Min Daily News on Wednesday, the owner of the Korean stall, surnamed Wu, explained that one set of eco-friendly packaging costs him about 50 cents.

With the prevailing GST, eco-friendly utensils and plastic bags, the total cost for a takeaway order comes up to almost a dollar, he reckoned. 

Wu said that he was initially charging customers 80 cents for a takeaway order but is now forced to absorb even more of the cost due to the new rule — which leads to a loss of almost $100 a day, working out to some $3,000 a month.

"The management said they'd be in touch with us, to see if they have better solutions to tackle the issue," said Wu. 

Customers encouraged to use own containers

Wu isn't the only stall owner that's feeling the pinch. 

Liu, the owner of a Japanese rice bowl stall, says that the eco-friendly takeaway packaging costs her 60 cents a set, reported the Chinese daily. 

She was originally charging customers 50 cents prior to the price cap. But now, she has to adjust her takeaway charge to 30 cents, subsiding half of the cost.

Sharing her woes with the Chinese daily, Liu said: "It's not easy to find eco-friendly packaging. The management has given us a list of suppliers, and I'm trying to look for one that offers [takeaway packaging] at a cheaper price. 

"Currently [my supplier] has lowered the price because I ordered in bulk. It would have been more costly if I ordered lesser." 

Besides mandating the use of takeaway packaging, the Canopy Hawkers' Group is also encouraging customers who do takeaway orders to bring their own reusable containers. 

Additionally, disposable crockery and utensils will not be served to customers who dine-in at the hawker centre. 

The group previously told AsiaOne then that it aims to make Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre a green hawker centre through green practices.

"For example, we reduce the use of disposables and work with all our stallholders to ensure that disposable crockery and utensils will not be served for patrons who dine-in at the hawker centre," added Tan. 

"For patrons who do takeaway orders, we will encourage them to bring their own reusable containers."

AsiaOne has contacted the group for further comment. 

221222_takeaway%20packaging_Shin%20Min.j

Last time i saw a debate if its even worse using those paper containers.  Cos more resources is needed to make 1. 

2 hours ago, Blueray said:

“Unfair To Make Life Difficult For Us ’Cos You Want To Be Eco-Friendly”: Hawker Hits Back At 80 Cents Charge For Biodegradable Takeaway Container At New Bukit Canberra Hawker Centre

https://www.8days.sg/eatanddrink/newsandreviews/bukit-canberra-hawker-centre-takeaway-charge-727756

So ex for this container! 😅 Looks like want to be eco- friendly also need to pay a ‘high’ price for it.

Anyway, went to this new hawker centre, dont really like the design, cause the stalls are located separately on each different cluster. Walking around to see what to eat makes me very dizzy. 😂

7 minutes ago, 13177 said:

So ex for this container! 😅 Looks like want to be eco- friendly also need to pay a ‘high’ price for it.

Anyway, went to this new hawker centre, dont really like the design, cause the stalls are located separately on each different cluster. Walking around to see what to eat makes me very dizzy. 😂

make you dizzy so you have to sit down order stuff mah.

this one a bit far for me, so I decided to go Senja.

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Blueray said:

make you dizzy so you have to sit down order stuff mah.

this one a bit far for me, so I decided to go Senja.

But thing is if dont know what to eat and dont know what they sell there, must need to walk whole place to see mah. So if feel dizzy need to sit down, then cannot order liao. 😂

Senja and bukit canberra both also not otw for me, need to purposely go and see look. But i just go for one time see look la and should not go back again. Senja i still haven go yet. Even the other hawker centre in bt panjang opened so long liao and i still no go there see look.

27 minutes ago, 13177 said:

But thing is if dont know what to eat and dont know what they sell there, must need to walk whole place to see mah. So if feel dizzy need to sit down, then cannot order liao. 😂

Senja and bukit canberra both also not otw for me, need to purposely go and see look. But i just go for one time see look la and should not go back again. Senja i still haven go yet. Even the other hawker centre in bt panjang opened so long liao and i still no go there see look.

Senja is square and spacious. on high ground so good natural ventilation you won't giddy one.

next to hawker centre is NTUC.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Didn't see said millipedes last time I was there, but possibly due to the plants on the rooftops of the buildings. 

The bigger issue I have with the place is that basic stalls you would expect in a hawker centre are simply not there or randomly closed at random timings. E.g. there is no cai png stall, even though there is a bee hoon stall and there is a curry rice stall, but it's not exactly the same.

• Praise 1