The Perfect Storm of the Stock Market III

wah this is called conviction 

boomers dunno one lah…

😬😅

13 hours ago, Wt_know said:

2,000 x $202 = $404K in 1 stock ... huat ah!

go BIG or go HOME

2023-02-03_205344.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

But for 9141, I dunno whether the  distribution makes sense. It's IG bond etf. So the distributions of 44 cents for 2022. That comes to around 3% at current price. With the 10% haircut from hkse for us overseas investors. Thats only 2.7% at best. 

Even if the YTM in fund factsheet is estimated 5.4%. Other than capital appreciation, and reducing volatility (with which u need to rebalance your portfolio every 6 months at least), bit leh cheh. 

MBH here is returning close to that?

Screenshot_2023-02-04-11-23-33-92_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Edited by Lala81

Seems like in sg, retail don't have much choice other than getting into bond funds which have a high expense ratio. 

At least in USA, u have easily accessible bond etf options for higher risk fixed income in your portfolio. Like this. 

Usually your bond component should be low volatility. But in sg our cpf is our bond component.

But without fixed duration say 6 month rebalancing, noobs like me don't know when to sell. End up also get burnt. 

Tbh, I know my superficial interest comes and goes. When I'm busy or doing other things, I don't look at stocks at all. 

My SRS is in endowus for 80-20% portfolio split. Haha so far over the 3 years, more or less back to square one. 

So in summary, for locals issit just back to dividend plays? Ultimately it's the most simple for noobs. STI is rangebound also. So capital appreciation can never exceed. Just have to look to Dividends. 

Not in a rush yet at least I am mostly in cash. 

But need to have a better plan for myself lah. 

Screenshot_2023-02-04-11-26-00-19_28ffbb5c8c15c3539d2a92178e9733df.jpg

17 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

But for 9141, I dunno whether the  distribution makes sense. It's IG bond etf. So the distributions of 44 cents for 2022. That comes to around 3% at current price. With the 10% haircut from hkse for us overseas investors. Thats only 2.7% at best. 

Even if the YTM in fund factsheet is estimated 5.4%. Other than capital appreciation, and reducing volatility (with which u need to rebalance your portfolio every 6 months at least), bit leh cheh. 

MBH here is returning close to that?

Screenshot_2023-02-04-11-23-33-92_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

At current pricing (it has went up a fair bit), the previous average YTM of 6+% is no longer there. The fund might be holding some legacy lower coupon long dated bonds trading at a discount to face value due to higher interest rate but if held to maturity, will yield a higher mark to market yield. 

Distribution yield should logically go up as old bonds are replaced with higher coupon newly issued bonds. 

i am not aware of the 10% withholding, HK is a financial center and usually such bond funds are exempted. Will need to check.

MBH is mostly SGD holdings, SGD seems to pay much lower rates than USD issues of similar credit profiles.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Recently due to Manulife Reit debacle (what can go wrong with real estate REIT with assets in a developed market?), I cut my per counter cap again.  I just want my balanced 5-6% return a year. They have big balls.

Yeah 5-6% a year everyyear, is song song gao jurong already.  
no need to go for broke when you are not broke,

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 2

if you didnt get into IG fixed income space during that time when the yields were 5-6%, then it may not be very worth it now. 3%pa is just meaningless since risk free is 4%

So my bet on AHY is more risky for sure.  But base on current and near future situation expectations, it would be a more than decent bet.  
Maybe up to 10% allocation is fine, dont need to go 30% lah.  

• Praise 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, Enye said:

wah this is called conviction 

boomers dunno one lah…

😬😅

haha … so true

ship front i scare got ghost

ship rear i scare got thief

lol

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 1

Come monday, i will be buying a bit more.  Maybe add just $75k see how.   Then wait another 2 weeks, add another $75k 

i dont believe in rushing in.   There is also always value in holding cash even if it is 0% interest.    
Many US Fund managers say cash is trash, take note they are applying different tax implications from us here in Singapore. 

So dont watch gurus, and start following blindly.   We watch to get different opinions but we must formulate our own path which is only applicable to ourselves.   

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 3

56 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

At current pricing (it has went up a fair bit), the previous average YTM of 6+% is no longer there. The fund might be holding some legacy lower coupon long dated bonds trading at a discount to face value due to higher interest rate but if held to maturity, will yield a higher mark to market yield. 

Distribution yield should logically go up as old bonds are replaced with higher coupon newly issued bonds. 

i am not aware of the 10% withholding, HK is a financial center and usually such bond funds are exempted. Will need to check.

MBH is mostly SGD holdings, SGD seems to pay much lower rates than USD issues of similar credit profiles.

Sorry. My bad. Cos I only own Chinese H shares before lol. So there's a 10% tax for Dividends for hk holders. Doesn't apply to your fund. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/hk-dividends-idUSL3E7I40R020110704

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

(edited)

portfolio size no $2,000,000 no talk for $10K dividends per month ... huat ah!

2023-02-04_140654.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

portfolio no $2,000,000 no talk for $10K/mth dividends

how to attain? 

2023-02-04_140654.jpg

you mean, $10,000 pm only ???????  
how not to attain by 50yrs old especially
damn thats new poor !!!! 

Edited by Throttle2
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

ok la ... convert sgd$10k to myr$33k

upgrade from “new poor” to “upper middle” retire in Penang

that’s my dream … lol

7B690E2B-BB2F-4522-BB82-7B61F826B6D3.jpeg.31cc9012266688ac5a8b5e9dd765e7ae.jpeg

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Seems like in sg, retail don't have much choice other than getting into bond funds which have a high expense ratio. 

At least in USA, u have easily accessible bond etf options for higher risk fixed income in your portfolio. Like this. 

Usually your bond component should be low volatility. But in sg our cpf is our bond component.

But without fixed duration say 6 month rebalancing, noobs like me don't know when to sell. End up also get burnt. 

Tbh, I know my superficial interest comes and goes. When I'm busy or doing other things, I don't look at stocks at all. 

My SRS is in endowus for 80-20% portfolio split. Haha so far over the 3 years, more or less back to square one. 

So in summary, for locals issit just back to dividend plays? Ultimately it's the most simple for noobs. STI is rangebound also. So capital appreciation can never exceed. Just have to look to Dividends. 

Not in a rush yet at least I am mostly in cash. 

But need to have a better plan for myself lah. 

Screenshot_2023-02-04-11-26-00-19_28ffbb5c8c15c3539d2a92178e9733df.jpg

thats the reality...work hard, save money become fsm diamond holder to save on platform fees, get accredited to buy bonds in smaller lots. for a start.

• Praise 1

22 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

So many just go funds supermart.  
but dont kena chop 1% upfront at least

And look at the top ten holdings at least

spent some time to at the supermart...really got many.  The eastspring one performance really subpar.  up lesser but down more than others. better keep a closer eye on it but not selling yet.

and theres only one with 10% p.a.  hmmmm.

thanks

Supercharged
1 hour ago, TangoCharlie said:

thats the reality...work hard, save money become fsm diamond holder to save on platform fees, get accredited to buy bonds in smaller lots. for a start.

Just thinking is it really useful to get accredited just for some bonds in FSM?  I mean are those bonds worth the while? 

31 minutes ago, Starry said:

Just thinking is it really useful to get accredited just for some bonds in FSM?  I mean are those bonds worth the while? 

More options is better than less. Up to ones preference I guess. 

• Praise 1

Get accredited is definitely useful for self. 

means you saved up well or u earning good. 

whether you want to get bonds or not is another issue but why not if u looking at fixed income? 

lots of investors like bonds for the certainty and cash flow. 
And just like stocks, u got to chose the right one for yourself 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1