COE Bidding - January 2023

Carbon82

13 hours ago, Rickster said:

Hmmm, I'm not very sure if information on the cartriple.com website is reliable. 

I got my information direct from mercedes website (https://group-media.mercedes-benz.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko/Drive-system-New-engines-new-transmissions.xhtml?oid=32998067)

It says "The M 282 was developed by Mercedes-Benz in cooperation with Renault. It is produced at the Kölleda plant in Thuringia, Germany and in future it will also be produced in Beijing, China. Renault supplies the components of the long block engine."

Simple question, have you heard ppl say the Renault cars are running on merc engines?

The simple reason merc wants to work with Renault is because they dont have the blueprints of small capacity engines. On paper they say "share technology" but when you see them buy shares of each others companies you know they have to buy the shares using money. It is more or less buying the Renault blueprints. Merc of course will build the engine at their convenience to save cost rather than shipped them from France. Building any engine from scratch requires a lot of cost and time. That's why we see a lot of companies have "co-developments" on engines eg. bmw and PSA, that's how bmw got the blueprints for the 1.6L TC engine from the French and put it in the mini.

All the talk about what sharing tech or co-developments are just to save face for both parties. If you look at their past engine inventory you know the Germans dont make small capacity engines.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Simple question, have you heard ppl say the Renault cars are running on merc engines?

The simple reason merc wants to work with Renault is because they dont have the blueprints of small capacity engines. On paper they say "share technology" but when you see them buy shares of each others companies you know they have to buy the shares using money. It is more or less buying the Renault blueprints. Merc of course will build the engine at their convenience to save cost rather than shipped them from France. Building any engine from scratch requires a lot of cost and time. That's why we see a lot of companies have "co-developments" on engines eg. bmw and PSA, that's how bmw got the blueprints for the 1.6L TC engine from the French and put it in the mini.

All the talk about what sharing tech or co-developments are just to save face for both parties. If you look at their past engine inventory you know the Germans dont make small capacity engines.

Simple answer - I have heard plenty of Citroen guys say that the Citroen are using the BMW engines (1.6L prince engine), I know it because i used to own a DS4. Likewise for renaults, I won’t be surprised if they do.

I’m referring to the article that you cited that seems to suggest that the M282 is wholly developed, made by and supplied by Renault - which is clearly not the case.

Edited by Rickster

People don't understand COE because they don't understand COE is a lagging indicator and not a leading indicator.

jamesc talking nonsense again! Simi lagging lah, simi leading lah?

:D

To put simply when COE is high no one is talking about buying cars, they are quietly doing it.

When COE is low all the loud mouths will be shouting when COE drops I will buy but no one is buying at all.

Example when COE is 50k your fren Johnny will be shouting when COE hit 40k I will buy.

When COE 40k Johnny will be shouting when COE hit 30k I will buy. 

When COE 30k Johnny will be shouting when COE hit 20k I will buy.

When COE 20k Johnny will be shouting when COE hit 10k I will buy.

When COE 10k you ask Johnny buy already?

Johnny will say: " You think I stupid huh? COE 10k what if COE drops to $2? I will lose 10k you know!"

When COE $2 I will buy.

Now if COE really hit $2 no one will be buying cars! 

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 5

People that say COE drop I will buy is like the people that go to the roof top saying they want to jump.

The police are there, the fire engine are there, the big air mattress already inflated and all the newspaper and the kaypoh neighbours are there.

In the end never jump.

:D

The ones that want to jump, jump a long time ago already.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 4

31 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

Lai lai, today up or down? 😁

I would be very surprised if it anything goes down given the Motorshow. And those backlogged orders now need to compete with motorshow orders. 

Just now, Kar_lover said:

I just need Cat A to finish below $86k lol

i pray for you.

But hor, looking at how early today bidding starts to heat up, I think $86K is quite risky

1 minute ago, Themman said:

i pray for you.

But hor, looking at how early today bidding starts to heat up, I think $86K is quite risky

Ya i know... oh well...

Just now, Benarsenal said:

Open Cat seems a bit slow today. Hmm...

It will be the last. It is basically a fixed pool of people at the back end entering the bids. Cat E usually slower cos need to see how Cat B goes...