free healthy food for the people

Wind30

Turbocharged

I have an idea.

If the government decide to give out free food, simple fare no choice, maybe rice and 2 veg with a little meat but healthy, less oil less salt, how much does it cost? Assuming they can leverage on empty HDB spaces, can they do it ta $2 per meal?

If they can, imagine they can do 1million meals a day, it is 0.73billion a year which is still far less than the 70 billion we spent just fighting covid and saving that few lives. Isn't the health benefits of 1million healthy meals a day far more than whatever we spent now on healthcare?

Won't healthy diet reduce deaths by a lot? 

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Singaporeans would complain that the government give them dog food.

I know of those under welfare schemes that refused to eat the free food because they are “bland and tasteless”.The food is otherwise healthy.

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 4

24 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

RadX won't be happy with less business.

No 52 months bonus for him like Evergreen.

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 5

54 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I have an idea.

If the government decide to give out free food, simple fare no choice, maybe rice and 2 veg with a little meat but healthy, less oil less salt, how much does it cost? Assuming they can leverage on empty HDB spaces, can they do it ta $2 per meal?

If they can, imagine they can do 1million meals a day, it is 0.73billion a year which is still far less than the 70 billion we spent just fighting covid and saving that few lives. Isn't the health benefits of 1million healthy meals a day far more than whatever we spent now on healthcare?

Sounds like hospital food. Which is way worse than saf cook house. 

Why not make everyone do 5bx and endurance run 3 times a week?

SG is already too much of a nanny state. 

If u are the type that can eat hospital food for the rest of your life, then I guess doable. 

Anyway massive amount of food waste. Even people who like to veggie don't like to eat some veggies etc. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 8
  • Haha! 4

cook house free

but people still eat canteen

i kiam kah na, so last time die die eat cooks house. Once in blue moon eat canteen

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

7 minutes ago, Mustank said:

cook house free

but people still eat canteen

i kiam kah na, so last time die die eat cooks house. Once in blue moon eat canteen

Everyday give u eat buffet, after a while also Sian. 

Some people eat to live. Some people live to eat.

I can lead quite a simple life. But ask me eat hospital food everyday, the only reason would be to not to waste food. 

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

I have an idea.

Singaporean are not poor, they have plenty variety of 'healthy' food to choose from, what you think is healthy might not be healthy to many. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Davidklt said:

Singaporeans would complain that the government give them dog food.

I know of those under welfare schemes that refused to eat the free food because they are “bland and tasteless”.The food is otherwise healthy.

yes, many of them actually  throw away those free food. other than the free food deliver to them everyday, many also have choice of taking free food from church, temple, etc, free rice, canned food, milo, coffee... from different charity group, etc.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
27 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Sounds like hospital food. Which is way worse than saf cook house. 

Why not make everyone do 5bx and endurance run 3 times a week?

SG is already too much of a nanny state. 

If u are the type that can eat hospital food for the rest of your life, then I guess doable. 

Anyway massive amount of food waste. Even people who like to veggie don't like to eat some veggies etc. 

if it’s free, I think people might eat. u don’t have to eat the free meal every meal. For me, sometimes I want to eat healthy, I don’t mind eating a simple meal a day assuming it’s healthy and free. When I want something nice, I can spend money. 

U can scale it depending on demand. I am thinking it might pay for itself just because each meal consumed is a healthy meal. 

it’s not really forcing people to eat healthy but rather making the healthy option free. Just like some cities have free public transport to encourage people to give up cars, a greater evil. 

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

Singaporean are not poor, they have plenty variety of 'healthy' food to choose from, what you think is healthy might not be healthy to many. 

It’s a generic healthy meal lah. Less sat fat, less salt, more fiber. Simple universal meal. Must be cheap too. I think other countries have stuff like soup kitchens for the homeless. 

Turbocharged
(edited)

I have always wondered the way the gov spend their money, isn’t $2 healthy meal a worthwhile spending. The health benefits, the efficiency of scale (I doubt the regular guy can cook anything decent for $2), helping the people with inflation.

instead of just always taking the easy way out, giving out vouchers indiscriminately fueling more inflation, do something much tougher but money well spent.

the current gov seems to just tax more and then throw money back, or just spend many many billions on COVID fight, I just feel they have too much money until anyhow spend.

Edit:

I googled and this is what I found. I was right, Singapore gov free food is, give vouchers. Take the easy way out. Instead of making sure the money is well spent, ie cost efficient (cheap) and healthy.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/budget-2020-free-meals-vulnerable-families-help-in-need-780841

Edited by Wind30

Just show how far away are you from the actual ground. What you want, what you think is only comfine to your wants and thoughts. 

To the ground, cheap means no good, free means can take and throw. 

You want ppl to eat healthy? Make healthy food 3 times more expensive, and you will see how suddenly everyone is doing YouTube videos, tiktoks and showing healthy meals on IG. Not the cheap ones of course. 

Just take a look at China, rich ppl are now paying for ugly organic food, and eating more wild vegetables, the poor now gets to eat more meat. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Want to be really healthy? Do away with the usual meals, and start eating only 2 meals a day, even better if OMAD, and automatically save money as well. What so difficult? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 5

Turbocharged
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Just show how far away are you from the actual ground. What you want, what you think is only comfine to your wants and thoughts. 

To the ground, cheap means no good, free means can take and throw. 

You want ppl to eat healthy? Make healthy food 3 times more expensive, and you will see how suddenly everyone is doing YouTube videos, tiktoks and showing healthy meals on IG. Not the cheap ones of course. 

Just take a look at China, rich ppl are now paying for ugly organic food, and eating more wild vegetables, the poor now gets to eat more meat. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Want to be really healthy? Do away with the usual meals, and start eating only 2 meals a day, even better if OMAD, and automatically save money as well. What so difficult? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

If it’s free, nobody will take extra as it has no resale value. Or it can be a simple dine in concept, like soup kitchen overseas but for the masses and healthy. If no demand, then make less meals, gov save money Lor. I wonder how much the demand will be… my reason of starting this thread. Will u eat free and healthy food, like hospital kind? Never? Once a week? One meal a day?

why gov? Because they can do it much more efficiently than me. 

Edited by Wind30

Heard that some temples , e.g. Buddhist and Sikh, give free food to worshippers but don't know healthy or delicious or not [laugh] But it's vegetarian for sure.

Edited by Sosaria

Healthy food based on rice is bland plus rice isnt actually healthy... once u cut down sodium, fats, oils... goodbye taste

Ang moh healthy food like salad can be very good if done right... but it is not something most of us want to eat every day plus those ingredients here in sg not cheap

58 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

It’s a generic healthy meal lah. Less sat fat, less salt, more fiber. Simple universal meal. Must be cheap too. I think other countries have stuff like soup kitchens for the homeless. 

singapore dun have own version  of soup kitchen?

you mean cook 100,000 portions everyday and sit there waiting and hoping people who suddenly feel that they need healthy food to come and collect/buy at $2? and throw away 80,000 portions? 

I can only say you are one of those elite who woke up one day came out with an idea or wishful thoughts of making a change or different without understanding the ground. I dun mean to disrespect your ideas/ideal, but maybe you should go around work on/with the ground.

• Praise 7

There are stalls that sell cheap healthy food. You look at how many people queue and buy. Hardly any.

Singaporeans very neow one. Must be cheap and good. Cheap alone not enough.

By the way there are charity services that give out free food too. I know because I occasionally help do food deliveries for one.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3