Education getting softer in Singapore

Wind30

The current posture is towards less grading and with that the onus is now placed on kids to also do their due diligence in indpt learning. This is at IHL. Less grading, marking, assessment.

However, this is also part to the dwindling student population .

the real crux in education, are we educating kids for jobs of the future? Go see the documentary on cna about “the future of work” 3 episodes and can be watched live on MeWatch.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Kopites said:

I disagree with you. A raise of hands. Who here say teacher gave them too little homework.

I concluded my teachers were too hardworking back then. Endless homeworks. Every subject trying to outdo each other in term of homework.

I dislike them all. 

Agree to disagree. 

Going to school and listening to a boring teacher

that some of them don't know what they are talking about 

is so yesterday.

We want to be a smart city we need smart learning.

Just put a chip in everyone's brain like in the Matrix

and Neo can fly helicopters and become a kung fu master immediately.

They are trying with rats first and it already works so soon will be in humans.

:D

image.thumb.png.a782caf6ec86537cabeb758a216a2cf5.png

image.png.5caf2dbaa5e5e811d89e9b1cbbd598d5.png 

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Ingenius said:

In institutes of higher learning, they also don't display the median score. Just stating the facts. 

…. It is because the university grades are distribution calibrated. You don’t need the median score once they are calibrated. I don’t think my daughters sec2 results has calibration... 

https://blog.nus.edu.sg/provost/2012/01/20/the-bell-curve/

The article does touch on the issues like different median grades for different subjects causes problems…

Edited by Wind30

28 minutes ago, Kopites said:

I disagree with you. A raise of hands. Who here say teacher gave them too little homework.

I concluded my teachers were too hardworking back then. Endless homeworks. Every subject trying to outdo each other in term of homework.

I dislike them all. 

Depends on the school.

My daughter used to get lots of homework & do until bedtime.

My son on the other hand can finish the homework and still have time for afternoon nap.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
31 minutes ago, RadX said:

The current posture is towards less grading and with that the onus is now placed on kids to also do their due diligence in indpt learning. This is at IHL. Less grading, marking, assessment.

the real crux in education, are we educating kids for jobs of the future? Go see the documentary on cna about “the future of work” 3 episodes and can be watched live on MeWatch.

I don’t think we are educating Singapore kids for the future. Too much rigidity in the system and honor based. When the rest of the world is scheming and looking for ways to get by. 
not to say we have to go that way, but some amount of lessons in this will help the young graduates navigate the realities of this world. Else we would always be stuck with looking at grades or solving healthy eating via food kitchens. 

• Praise 2

4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

I don’t think we are educating Singapore kids for the future. Too much rigidity in the system and honor based. When the rest of the world is scheming and looking for ways to get by. 
not to say we have to go that way, but some amount of lessons in this will help the young graduates navigate the realities of this world. Else we would always be stuck with looking at grades or solving healthy eating via food kitchens. 

And the greatest challenge now is that parents need convincing of this.

Less of that from the students if you ingrain the right mindset on “learning “ vs “grade myopia”.

What I’m seeing is a mix and I believe the change is starting at the lower pri and sec schools so when comes to IHl, is more learning focussed attitude.

This translates to better career matching for them which ultimately is the end goal? Getting a job/career!

what is also being looked at Ministry  level is the ITM areas where we can push for more training as that’s whr the future is directed . This goes with all the focussed areas and build capability based on that, for eg, Agri, AI, Health, etc

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
40 minutes ago, RadX said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/watch/future-work/new-industrial-revolution-3162336
this one right? Can watch from browser. Haven’t watched but I suspect it is about knowledge based jobs right? Like mine, circuit design. 
I feel strong analytical skills is absolutely essential, aka academic stuff. 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/watch/future-work/new-industrial-revolution-3162336
this one right? Can watch from browser. Haven’t watched but I suspect it is about knowledge based jobs right? Like mine, circuit design. 

Yes this is the one. 3 episodes. ACad stuff is one thing, but making it work is the translational part.

A good balance whr this series talks abt the gig economy as well and how it can be a paradigm shift in work

in short, learning is no longer the way it used to be, aka The American Dream. Work, retire, pension…

now it’s work, train, retrain and retrain and perm jobs are no longer a guarantee. Need to keep

pushing the envelope 

• Praise 2

Twincharged
7 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

With too much emphasis on analytical skills you end up as 纸上谈兵. 
that’s is where a lot of our policies are. 
effectiveness on the ground leaves much to be desired. which is further compounded by self praise by the organization thinking they have done a good job. The myopic views and failure to adapt will cost Singapore in the long run. 
our only policy to increase GDP is to import more people in, which any idiot knows it is the easiest and fastest. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

effectiveness on the ground leaves much to be desired. which is further compounded by self praise by the organization thinking they have done a good job. The myopic views and failure to adapt will cost Singapore in the long run. 
our only policy to increase GDP is to import more people in, which any idiot knows it is the easiest and fastest. 

No matter what the consultants are driving to make the change, if the top ppl carry on the mindset, we will just remain mediocre at best, losing our competitive edge… if at all, has already lost.

this suits the thread aptly that “is education getting softer”.. I would say no, but more of right Siting it in the current era

• Praise 1

The “mental health”

narrative is a big thing now, students and teachers alike. Worldwide, not only us. 

most are cognizant of what it does, and they’re are slow measures to mitigate the downstream effects. You can see this happening in our education sectors. Good $$ only goes so far, other mitigating measures are being put in place to circumvent the I’ll effects.

However , most times, it tends to be “lip svc” and the old heads need to be changed pronto to effect real change. Lest it just become a paper exercise. 

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

7 minutes ago, RadX said:

No matter what the consultants are driving to make the change, if the top ppl carry on the mindset, we will just remain mediocre at best, losing our competitive edge… if at all, has already lost.

this suits the thread aptly that “is education getting softer”.. I would say no, but more of right Siting it in the current era

Nothing wrong with too much emphasis on analytical skills as public sector is very conservative.

What's wrong is entire team could be filled with "Analyst".  No one can implement it.

Without ppl who can implement it, no one will know the pitfall during implementation.

We lost our edge at least 10 years ago, especially in fintech & blockchain.

• Praise 1

Guess I cum cream so that I show I know what I’m talking abt since I retiring soon anyway hahaha

im in the svc , IHl, NUs, etcfor coming to 20yrs. So what I’ve seen and experienced in the system. Kids are changing now, and educators also need to upkeep their pace and currency in education methods. This is something that many are facing issues with, CHaNGE.

Young ones coming in have that mettle but lack the years of domain to apply context . Turnover rates are also high so it’s a multivariate issue to grapple with

end point: some of ur kids may have been taught by me hahahhahah😂😂😂

• Praise 4

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

Nothing wrong with too much emphasis on analytical skills as public sector is very conservative.

What's wrong is entire team could be filled with "Analyst".  No one can implement it.

Without ppl who can implement it, no one will know the pitfall during implementation.

We lost our edge at least 10 years ago, especially in fintech & blockchain.

Yah and at best , we are catching up. Think lhl realised this when he went to China not too long ago… wols

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2