Singaporean woman and 4-month-old daughter killed in accident on snowy road in Hokkaido

Yamapi

rrhokkaido1101_0.jpg?VersionId=0SGMGqIUI

SINGAPORE – A 41-year-old Singaporean woman and her four-month-old daughter died in an accident in Hokkaido, Japan on Tuesday morning.

Chinese-language daily Lianhe Zaobao reported that the car they were in collided with a large lorry in the ski town of Kamifurano at around 11.30am.

News reports in Japan said that the woman’s 44-year-old husband and the couple’s elder daughter, three, were also injured in the crash.

Police told Zaobao that the two who were injured are in stable condition.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singaporean-woman-and-4-month-old-daughter-killed-in-accident-on-snowy-road-in-hokkaido?utm_campaign=stfb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

RIP.... 😢 Driving in snow is no joke, especially when we have zero experience driving in snow

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 16

According to the newsreader, the car was coming out of a side road and the rubbish truck t-boned it. 

RIP to the deceased and may the father and daughter find the strength to carry on

• Praise 1
  • Sad 2

sad. 

Subarus are pretty well built. The impact must have been very considerable.

The snowbanks can be high, it maybe not easy to see oncoming traffic on exiting onto the main road.

Edited by Lala81
  • Sad 1

sorry if i ask, why bring a 4 months old baby to a snowing country? 

actually yesterday was snowing heavily in Hokkaido and many road accidents.

• Praise 5
  • Sad 2

The earliest I took my young ones overseas was when they were 2 yrs old. And even then, it was a hassle w their food, attention span, nap time, stroller, formula milk, the works

Let alone a 4 mth old baby in freezing conditions n unfamiliar driving conditions. RIP

• Praise 7
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

According to the newsreader, the car was coming out of a side road and the rubbish truck t-boned it. 

RIP to the deceased and may the father and daughter find the strength to carry on

from the damage, seems like truck coming from the left, so likely during a right turn. impact seems big, driver did not check properly? 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

from the damage, seems like truck coming from the left, so likely during a right turn. impact seems big, driver did not check properly? 

The details are not yet known but it could be a combination of factors like snowstorm leading to poor visibility, ice or snow on the road, high snow banks, driver distraction or misjudgement of braking distances or available traction. If you’ve only driven in the tropics, you’re in for a rude shock the first time you drive in winter conditions.

• Praise 2

24 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

sorry if i ask, why bring a 4 months old baby to a snowing country? 

actually yesterday was snowing heavily in Hokkaido and many road accidents.

Some people don't mind the hassle. 

5 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Ok

Not renting car in Hokkaido liao

Not only Hokkiado ....... we are for one not sure of LHD ops on the roads which drive in the opposite direction ; Even when I went to Scandinavia..... I took local taxi's ..... its near zero visibility at times....... young people are very adventurous these days unlike the old days we wait until kids are diaper free and able to walk and also sort of eat normal food  

• Praise 2

Very sad to hear this kind of tragic news especially involving an infant ...... RIP to the little bundle which must have brought so much of joy to the family

shit... RIP to the deceased...

We went to Hokkaido 3 mth before covid hit SG... and we rented a van to drive there - zero experience driving in winter then... i came here to ask some advice beforehand too...

if this had happened before we went, then i think we'll have had second thoughts about driving there...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1