Wall Of Shame

Fitvip

From Asiaone

Wall Of Fame Shame - Not Berlin Wall, But In Yishun!

Wall of shame: Shop at Yishun mall displays shoplifters' photos complete with 'citations'

JANUARY 11, 2023PUBLISHED AT 12:50 PMByMELISSA TEO

TikTok/Syapls

image.png.51ac42d97adcf318164032aa46302595.png

One struggle businesses face is sneaky shoplifters who swipe things off the shelves when no one is looking. 

So, sick and tired of getting ripped off, a Venus Beauty outlet at Northpoint City has created a rather impressive wall of shame. 

Content creator Nurul Syafiqa noticed this during a recent visit to the beauty supply store and showed what it looked like in a TikTok video uploaded on Tuesday (Jan 10). 

"This shop literally featured a wall of shoplifters," she said in the captions. 

A quick pan of the shop walls revealed multiple laminated photos of the perpetrators arranged in neat rows. 

Some of the pictures had the thieves' faces photoshopped into a mock frame. 

There were even 'citations' indicating how many times the shoplifters stole from the store as well as when they were caught. 

"He had stolen a tin of milk powder. Might have stolen products from other outlets too," read one. 

https://www.tiktok.com/@syapls?referer_url=www.asiaone.com%2Fsingapore%2Fwall-shame-shop-yishun-mall-displays-shoplifters-photos-complete-citations&refer=embed&embed_source=121331973%2C120811592%2C120810756%3Bnull%3Bembed_masking&referer_video_id=7186975926519909634

More creative ones featured CCTV footage done up comic book-style, complete with the header: "Our CCTV not spoil one ok [sic]!" 

Upon seeing the video, many netizens were amused at the extent this shop went.

"I know this is to stop shoplifters but man, if I'm in that I would be super embarrassed," Syafiqa wrote. 

Several netizens shared that it wasn't just the Northpoint City branch that had a wall of shame — other Venus Beauty outlets have it too. 

Some even joked that catching shoplifters may be a side quest for the employees. 

PHOTO: TikTok/Screengrab/Syapls 

One also said the photos looked like wall decorations. 

PHOTO: TikTok/Screengrab/Syapls 

AsiaOne has reached out to Venus Beauty for more details. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

There are likely to have 2 types of 'shop lifters'. One that will 'redeem' the photo by paying off what they took. The other is just continue since no police action. Try other outlets. 😂

• Haha! 4

I think online forums should award for "shop lifting" videos - we got thoroughly bored of their road videos. But be careful, you will be caught / videoed between the shelf and cash counters hehe

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

Actually IIRC, this practice is not uncommon. 

I remember another shop in Northpoint basement 2 used to do this too. They put it up and blow up the face to remind their staff. 

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

They dont have a face recognition system to sound off the alarm. LoL

No use lah. The thieves when they wear a different outfit and change the hairstyle nobody can tell, not even the staff. Or wear a baseball cap to cover the face cos the cameras are installed on the ceiling.

It will only expose the position of the cameras. The thieves will know and avoid them.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Playtime said:

Will get sue boh

There is a law to protect the identity of minor by the court. i hope that wall of shame doesn't has any of minor picture.

Imo i reckon it should be ok if pictures were for internal circulation for better operation purpose. To put up for public shaming such entice I thought only happened in developing country or third world country. Haiz....

Let the law deal with those petty theft and not take matter in his hands.

2 hours ago, Playtime said:

Will get sue boh

Actually can if PDPA applies. But steal Liao where got money to get lawyer. Haha. There are some rich one that steal for the trill Kleptomania

Turbocharged
4 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Actually IIRC, this practice is not uncommon. 

I remember another shop in Northpoint basement 2 used to do this too. They put it up and blow up the face to remind their staff. 

if 2 shops in Northpoint doing this, shop lifting must be quite prevalent down there.

I have not seen Venus putting up some posters of shame in those outlets that I walk past often.

1 hour ago, Estrangable said:

we need to build a wall around Yishun to keep us safe. 

Haha I drove out of yishun today. 

The suv In front of me has a "straight outta yishun" sticker on its rear window. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 6