Yishun Happenings

Fcw75

48 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Lol. So wide must be yishun Ave 2 going towards lentor.

It doesn't look like the area around Northpoint though. 

Thank goodness...otherwise a lot of yishunite siao lang would join in to form a NDP ready marching contingent 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4

36 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Maybe. But I only remember the overhead bridge near the speed cam further down. Yeah the color of the hdb is definitely nearer khatib MRT side. 

Anyway... Land of the wild. 

yes here, taken from this overhead bridge

Untitled.png

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

On 2/6/2023 at 9:02 AM, Lala81 said:

Went there. Closed.

While I was getting back into my car, some family leaving in a bluesg car seemed to say that it's unscheduled closure. Maybe come again next week. 

Went to dabao legend curry rice. 

This is the dimsum queue... At least 15 pax long. 

IMG20230211110404_Y0ZD7rn73v.jpeg

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha! 1

56 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

Today? Read that their sales double on weekends.... 

Yeah that's why I hope they open on Monday lol. 

• Haha! 1

FACTS ABOUT YISHUN (UPDATED FOR 2023) ALL S’POREANS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT

By  Tan Shi Hui  -

https://goodyfeed.com/yishun-chong-pang/?fbclid=IwAR1KeiD-sojCs7Mi19JG5X2Nqp8YTGX1MypOLfAdkWEpFoflrpZJqDjXLpo

Yishun, the place that we once wanted to build a wall around. However, do you know that there are a bubble tea city and various fun, accessible and hidden places in this part of Singapore?

Learn more fun facts about Yishun from how did Yishun come about to Yishun’s son, Chong Pang, in this article!

Before we begin, allow me to bombard you with a fun fact: Do you know Khatib MRT Station was originally going to be called Nee Soon MRT Station? #themoreyouknow

If you prefer to watch this topic instead, here’s a video we’ve done about Yishun (watch to the end for a heartwarming fact about Yishun!):

Origin of Yishun 

Before Yishun was the Yishun that we know now, it was filled with rubber and pineapple plantations.

These plantations were own by several people but one person stood out: the Pineapple King, Lim Nee Soon.

Despite running many other businesses, he was mostly known as the Pineapple King due to his big investments in the pineapple industry.

Additionally, he was a respected community leader and one of the most influential businessmen of that day. With such influence, naturally, the people named the land after him.

But since Yishun was named after him, how did Nee Soon become Yishun?

Back in the days, Singapore started a programme to use Mandarin as the official Chinese language, so many Chinese dialect names in Singapore were translated to Pinyin.

Nee Soon then become “Yi Shun” and eventually, Yishun.

Origin of…Chong Pang

Chong Pang is the son of Lim Nee Soon. Similar to Lim Nee Soon, Lim Chong Pang was also a well-known businessman here in Yishun.

In case you are thinking, “Singapore is just naming streets after rich people,” you are wrong.

Nee Soon and Chong Pang are more than just businessmen. They contributed to public service as well.

For example, Nee Soon opened the first Chinese secondary school in Singapore while Chong Pang served in the Singapore Rural Board for nine years.

Although Chong Pang did have the best nasi lemak presently while Nee Soon just…erm…

Yishun is the First Dementia-Friendly Town  

Do you know that Yishun is the first dementia-friendly town?

Back in 2016, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) and Lien Foundation created Singapore’s first dementia-friendly community in Yishun.

2000 people in the region are trained to spot those with dementia and how to interact with and help or refer them to aid agencies.

Since then, there have been a lot more dementia-friendly communities and even an app for you to support and help people with dementia.

Bubble Tea City

If you drink bubble tea on a daily basis, you would know of this bubble tea city in the north, Northpoint city.

Northpoint City is known for having many bubble tea stalls. There are 8 bubble tea stalls in the mall, and 2 more outside the mall. This is why some people called it Bubble Tea City.

Before this gigantic mall becomes Bubble Tea City with many wings, it was a small mall called Northpoint Shopping Centre, and back then, it was the very first modern suburban mall.

The mall was built back in 1992, and for reference, the super old Jurong Entertainment Centre, which is now demolished, was opened back in 1993 while the old Causeway Point was opened in 1998.

In short, Northpoint has been around for a long time, just that it was not as big.

Hidden places to have fun in Yishun – Orto and HomeTeamNS

One of the misconceptions about Orto is that it is a place that’s only accessible by car. The fact is you can actually walk to Orto from Khatib MRT Station within 5 to 10 minutes.

Orto is like a village filled with goody makan places and fun things to do, with prawning & fishing ponds a trampoline park & even a go-karting track.

Additionally, there’s also a live tortoise museum and a Kampung at the back.

Despite its “hidden” status, it’s usually relatively crowded at night, but it’s one of the best-est places to go if you think that Northpoint City is way too modern.

Another place you can have fun is Home Team NS.

Located next to Orto, the newly opened HomeTeamNS Khatib Clubhouse is filled with firsts.

From the first indoor arena for airsoft gun battle to the first indoor adventure club, HomeTeamNS have so many firsts that they are even crowned the first clubhouse to have been visited by a COVID-19 patient before it even officially opens #justsaying

The clubhouse is a five minutes’ walk away from Khatib MRT Station, which means you can burn all your calories here and then go to Orto for a good meal.

Like every other place in Singapore, Yishun is a perfectly safe place to visit with so much good food and fun places to explore.

Just ignore the random shouting if you are planning to visit at night.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:13 AM, Lala81 said:

Went to dabao legend curry rice. 

This is the dimsum queue... At least 15 pax long. 

IMG20230211110404_Y0ZD7rn73v.jpeg

the ban mian store at the corner not bad too. Was very cheap a few years back, $2 for small, $3 for big. My msian colleagues say got msia taste. run by an old couple. Dont know still there anot. Last went during covid. 

• Praise 3

13 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

the ban mian store at the corner not bad too. Was very cheap a few years back, $2 for small, $3 for big. My msian colleagues say got msia taste. run by an old couple. Dont know still there anot. Last went during covid. 

u mean the handmade mee hoon kueh stall? If u meant that, it's no longer operating for few years.

But i can't remember when it closed down. I only ate once.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

u mean the handmade mee hoon kueh stall? If u meant that, it's no longer operating for few years.

But i can't remember when it closed down. I only ate once.

wow. thats sad. their $3 portion is big and generous with the ingredients. i see that the place was renovated and they probably moved coz of that. i shall go down one of these days to try the dim sum. 

11 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

wow. thats sad. their $3 portion is big and generous with the ingredients. i see that the place was renovated and they probably moved coz of that. i shall go down one of these days to try the dim sum. 

i don't really recall the coffeeshop being renovated. But then I only started going more often after finding the curry rice. 

I guess started having more human traffic after Old World moved from the nearby coffeeshop.

Yeah it doesn't mean if u serve good food, means u will survive or find it worth your while. This mee hoon kueh stall, and several other stalls closed during my years in yishun. All served above average/good food at affordable prices.

Edited by Lala81

1 hour ago, Ender said:

Howcome use bee hoon?

thats fine egg noodles. my fave store in YS hawker. last time quite common in wanton mee but now very hard to find. 

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

i don't really recall the coffeeshop being renovated. But then I only started going more often after finding the curry rice. 

I guess started having more human traffic after Old World moved from the nearby coffeeshop.

Yeah it doesn't mean if u serve good food, means u will survive or find it worth your while. This mee hoon kueh stall, and several other stalls closed during my years in yishun. All served above average/good food at affordable prices.

from the picture seems renovated before. Last time the place very worn down and tables are different. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2