All About Bak Kwa

Carbon82

@RH1667 

2 hours ago, RH1667 said:

Really Three Hundred twenty eight SIN Dollar for 600g ?? of $32.8 for 600g? 

Actually it's really $328, but i realised the one i have is the normal one, I don't think my mother will buy the $328 one unless struck lottery..

image.thumb.png.3e1deb4629936a143b4aa4c86d095563.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

7 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

This year bought from Peng Guan. Now have outlet at bukit batok.  $52 for 1kg and each slice is vacuumed pack. No Q.

my friend also recommended this brand. 

6 minutes ago, Blueray said:

my friend also recommended this brand. 

I tried one after lunch. It's decent, not too sweet, lean though I chose minced and easy on my teeth.

But son found it too soft. Hahaha

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

@RH1667 

Actually it's really $328, but i realised the one i have is the normal one, I don't think my mother will buy the $328 one unless struck lottery..

image.thumb.png.3e1deb4629936a143b4aa4c86d095563.png

When bak kwa is slathered with so much seasoning. Whatever pork you also cannot tell the diff. Just only know if it is soft or tough. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

11 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Small case compared to sang hock guan. 

Sang hock guan u order like one month plus in advance. Then on the day, they only give u the day to collect. After going down and waiting for 1hr plus. I had to ask the person to call me cos she said need another 3 plus hours (which she was very reluctant to do...) . I drove down to collect at 1030pm.

It is after eating this bak kwa can become 长生不老, 无病痛?😂

• Haha! 2

10 hours ago, Tohto said:

I have not buy any bak kwa for the past few years. 

Han chin boh hoh, cannot any how spend. Need to feed the 2 girls in school.

No need to buy, go visitations and eat. Company also have bak kwa from suppliers, can eat also. 😂

I bought my bk from bch factory last Sunday. Bought the minced meat and chilli meat. The minced meat is more tender and easy on the teeth.

Many bus loads of aunties there. At the cashier, the auntie in front of me insist with the cashier to give her a bigger cooler bag as her friend even thou she bought little stuff only. Wasting my time only. 

Many xmm part timers there.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Its as good as any Bah kwa I've eaten. So good enough for me. (Albeit I haven't tried the top few brands in recent years cos they also are popular). Or else won't have people willing to wait for hours just to collect. 

Maybe I will buy some after cny. But quite sinful lol. 

• Haha! 2

23 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

My mother bought this, but honestly taste like any other  type of BK..

image.png.b29bc68fc062446a7690b3f3797f54ff.png

Wow.. at this price can go for a good wagyu beef BBQ for 2 persons. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

28 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Wow.. at this price can go for a good wagyu beef BBQ for 2 persons. 

The key reason why we had marbled meat / wagyu is for the fatty / juicy texture, when it was grilled or fried for a short time. 

Using marbled meat for bak kwa is a pure wastage of good meat, all fat are likely to become lard liao. Or maybe got that lard taste and texture?

If that is the case, 猪油渣肉干 is more appropriate, but I guess marbled meat bak kwa sounds  more atas and can command a higher (exorbitant) price. :D

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 11

@Carbon82  All marketing, some fancy name can automatically command a higher price.

44 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

The key reason why we had marbled meat / wagyu is for the fatty / juicy texture, when it was grilled or fried for a short time. 

Using marbled meat for bak kwa is a pure wastage of good meat, all fat are likely to become lard liao. Or maybe got that lard taste and texture?

If that is the case, 猪油渣肉干 is more appropriate, but I guess marbled meat bak kwa sounds  more atas and can command a higher (exorbitant) price. :D

16 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

I tried one after lunch. It's decent, not too sweet, lean though I chose minced and easy on my teeth.

But son found it too soft. Hahaha

I also preferred tough one when I was teekee...i mean young...i mean when my teeth were young...😁

• Haha! 5

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

maybe next year they will come out  猪油渣肉干 , using healthy olive oil....😆

• Haha! 2

16 hours ago, 13177 said:

The feeling must be macam jiak liulian...got 升天 feel liddat 😁

• Haha! 1

Still got ppl queue to get bak kwa?

Last evening I went to the wholesale center at Woodlands Terrace got bak kwa too. Not many ppl there when I got there at around 6.30pm. The bak kwa I see some ppl bought a lot. But no queue lo.

Only one selling wholesale stuff and one bakery are open. Maybe afternoon got more companies open.

The wholesale one sell lot of food that are easy to prepare during CNY.

Even got Orh-nee. 

Orh-nee.thumb.jpg.e834b521f46d13c2ae60a2d4ef05da3b.jpg

Things like herbal chicken is very cheap. Got spicy fried mid wings, harkao siew mai, kong bah bao and many more.

1204135569_herbalchicken.thumb.jpg.666661b8b51d6ac0ba531f0750f2f3be.jpg

At the bakery at the other end, selling CNY goodies, lapis cake and lion cakes.

cakes.thumb.jpg.8a68241685d5e339622053c9391fd341.jpg

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

3 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Still got ppl queue to get bak kwa?

Last evening I went to the wholesale center at Woodlands Terrace got bak kwa too. Not many ppl there when I got there at around 6.30pm. Only one selling wholesale stuff and one bakery are open.

The wholesale one sell lot of food that are easy to prepare during CNY.

Even got Orh-nee. 

Orh-nee.thumb.jpg.e834b521f46d13c2ae60a2d4ef05da3b.jpg

Things like herbal chicken is very cheap. Got spicy fried mid wings, harkao siew mai, kong bah bao and many more.

1204135569_herbalchicken.thumb.jpg.666661b8b51d6ac0ba531f0750f2f3be.jpg

At the bakery at the other end, selling CNY goodies, lapis cake and lion cakes.

cakes.thumb.jpg.8a68241685d5e339622053c9391fd341.jpg

The lion cakes so cute.

Anyway, you go at 6.30pm sure not many people, esp during that time many shops might not open liao.

• Praise 2

6 minutes ago, 13177 said:

The lion cakes so cute.

Anyway, you go at 6.30pm sure not many people, esp during that time many shops might not open liao.

How can one eat the 吉祥物? 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4