New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern to resign next month

SGMCF328

A good leader is one who know when to step down, not 死赖着不走.

Sourec: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/jacinda-ardern-new-zealand-pm-resigns-says-she-will-not-seek-re-election-3216436

WELLINGTON: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Thursday (Jan 19) that she will resign next month.

"For me it's time," she said at a meeting of members of her Labour Party. "I just don't have enough in the tank for another four years."

Ardern said the next general election will be held on Oct 14 and she would continue as an electorate MP until then.

"I am not leaving, because I believe we cannot win the next election, but because I believe we can and will," she said.

Ardern said her resignation would take effect no later than Feb 7, adding that the Labour caucus would vote on a new leader on Jan 22.

Ardern said that there was no secret behind her resignation.

"I am human. We give as much as we can for as long as we can and then it's time. And for me, it's time," she said.

"I am leaving because with such a privileged job comes a big responsibility. The responsibility to know when you are the right person to lead - and also when you're not."

Edited by SGMCF328
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 19
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, SGMCF328 said:

Sourec: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/jacinda-ardern-new-zealand-pm-resigns-says-she-will-not-seek-re-election-3216436

WELLINGTON: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Thursday (Jan 19) that she will resign next month.

"For me it's time," she said at a meeting of members of her Labour Party. "I just don't have enough in the tank for another four years."

Ardern said the next general election will be held on Oct 14 and she would continue as an electorate MP until then.

"I am not leaving, because I believe we cannot win the next election, but because I believe we can and will," she said.

Ardern said her resignation would take effect no later than Feb 7, adding that the Labour caucus would vote on a new leader on Jan 22.

"I am leaving because with such a privileged job comes a big responsibility. The responsibility to know when you are the right person to lead - and also when you're not."

Trying to hint someone here in SG? 

• Haha! 20

27 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Maybe she plans to get married soon. Much of her time were handling covid, terror attack, and volcano disaster. 

She has kids already lah

• Haha! 3

37 minutes ago, SGMCF328 said:

"I am human. We give as much as we can for as long as we can and then it's time. And for me, it's time," she said.

i hope you are not implying my emperor Xi... he has a heaven mandate to rule until his death. 

• Haha! 8

39 minutes ago, SGMCF328 said:

Not so simple post😅

• Haha! 2

3 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

She has kids already lah

One girl toddler. Engaged but I think her wedding plans were postponed by covid and other things. 

All that power must be addictive. If she is not forced or blackmail to resign, kudos to her for being able to step away from it. 

Abraham Lincoln said, “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

Maybe she really is there to serve the people.

• Praise 7

Depends on what she wants to prioritise in life. Some ppl choose family some choose career, got its pros and cons.

For her being a mother she could have felt that she missed out a lot of stuff on her daughter growing up. Like her first word, first steps etc. She might have felt politics are not worth missing out on these things. Btw she is one of the youngest leaders to hold the top job. Usually the top jobs around the world are grandpas, already experience the young family part.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 6

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/jacinda-ardern-new-zealand-pm-resigns-says-she-will-not-seek-re-election-3216436

Hmmm.... she seems forced to resign due to escalating issues facing the nation. 

Usually easier to judge when one's not really doing the work. Hope the nation remembered her leadership in guiding the country thru Covid-19. There were discussions here then too that NZ may suffer economically down the road cos of some of the steps she took. 

But she saved lives and Covid-19 being an unprecedented global event, it was always between a hard rock and an ocean. 

Guess her priorities oso changed with arrival of her baby. She has done her best and wishes to move on. 

Wishing her and family well. She did NZ very proud and may she continue to be a contributing member to her party and nation. Who knows, when tank is full, she may be PM again. 

Stay safe all 

Cheers 

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 8
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, SGMCF328 said:

At least her runway is long enough :D

giphy.gifHeng_Swee_Keat_closing_speech.gif

• Haha! 17

3 hours ago, SGMCF328 said:

Dun Suan Winnie leh, you see so long never see any Happy Man  in this forum when Winnie refuse to step down

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Maybe she plans to get married soon. Much of her time were handling covid, terror attack, and volcano disaster. 

She is married already 😂

2 hours ago, Estrangable said:

i hope you are not implying my emperor Xi... he has a heaven mandate to rule until his death. 

There are people who have been hanging on much much longer than Xi!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3