Home automation/Smart home

Stratovarius

I will be starting my renovation pretty soon. Watched an episode of tiny house nation and they have installed some smart features into the system like turning off lights, lowering blinds or turn on the aircon with voice command.

Anyone has done anything like that? I'm interested in the blinds. Not sure if I'm gonna do any of these. Will appreciate if anyone who has done similar things to share their experiences.

TIA.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

5 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Xiaomi has smart home solution with voice command

feel like getting the xiaomi voice command curtain, but my wife sure scold me [laugh]

• Haha! 2

11 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

I will be starting my renovation pretty soon. Watched an episode of tiny house nation and they have installed some smart features into the system like turning off lights, lowering blinds or turn on the aircon with voice command.

Anyone has done anything like that? I'm interested in the blinds. Not sure if I'm gonna do any of these. Will appreciate if anyone who has done similar things to share their experiences.

TIA.

I just linked my Sonoff devices to Google assist. Google is able to make very good guesses of my commands.

Very easy. Cheap too - you can buy 1 or 2 smart sockets to experiment and play around first. Like this:

https://shopee.sg/S26-Sonoff-WiFi-Smart-Socket-Remote-Control-Wireless-Home-Timer-Power-Socket-Support-Voice-Control-i.81846717.6325371794

They may have something for blinds.

• Praise 5

Internal Moderator
18 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

TIA.

Congrats on your reno! Happy for you bro. You can follow this youtube channel to make your home smart!

Her presentation style is very down to earth. Which I like!

• Praise 3

I scare my home too smart one day it will make me look stupid... 

Worse is sikali one fine day,  the smart home decides to lock me out,  and I am too stupid to get back it...  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 9

15 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I just linked my Sonoff devices to Google assist. Google is able to make very good guesses of my commands.

Very easy. Cheap too - you can buy 1 or 2 smart sockets to experiment and play around first. Like this:

https://shopee.sg/S26-Sonoff-WiFi-Smart-Socket-Remote-Control-Wireless-Home-Timer-Power-Socket-Support-Voice-Control-i.81846717.6325371794

yes, anything that can link the devices apps to google assist, just plug in the smart sockets and add a home hub and you can voice command them.

Nothing fancy.

• Praise 2

Just now, Tianmo said:

Worse is sikali one fine day,  the smart home decides to lock me out,  and I am too stupid to get back it...  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

when you only move your mouth and dun move your legs and fingers, yeah will become stupid [laugh]

my wife already say when i talking to machine look stupid [laugh]

• Haha! 4

Mine use the Phillips Hue lights, can control brightness/color with phone. Also can set time for the lights to slowly turn on in the morning to wake up. 

• Praise 1

57 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Thanks! This seems like a cheaper way. I will go do some research on this.

• Praise 1

19 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Mine use the Phillips Hue lights, can control brightness/color with phone. Also can set time for the lights to slowly turn on in the morning to wake up. 

I wanted the curtains to roll up with the song majulah singapura playing in the background. Lol. Think my wife will kill me.

• Haha! 8

14 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

I wanted the curtains to roll up with the song majulah singapura playing in the background. Lol. Think my wife will kill me.

Even if your wife won't, your neighbours probably would...choose PRC antum lagi effective... 

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

TIA.

That darn thing will be recording 24/7. Make sure it can’t be hacked. 

• Praise 1

If u are looking at smart blinds. Probably most easy to work out of box solution would be xiaomi Aqara blinds. But xiaomi smart home devices usually only work with their own app.

I believe overseas has a zigbee one by Ikea. But doubt it's available here.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Jman888 said:

yes, anything that can link the devices apps to google assist, just plug in the smart sockets and add a home hub and you can voice command them.

Nothing fancy.

Actually for most devices there is no need for a home hub.
Zigbee hubs are not particularly useful for most scenarios. The most stable transmission protocol is wifi. U only need a RF emitter like a Broadcom if you have devices on RF like ceiling fans etc. 

An echo device can handle the simple stuff.
As long as you are ok with using cloud to activate your devices via Alexa/Smart Life.
Sonoff or any Tuya based smart plug/socket will be able to work with Alexa quite seamlessly. 

I'm not that familiar with google assistant. But google assistant needs a device constantly on that is acting as a hub. But potentially that can be totally local (if u you really know how to configure/DIY it if you don't want to use the cloud at all).

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

An apartment probably less use for smart home.
If got landed or need CCTV, super useful.

• Praise 2