2023 Mazda CX-90

Carbon82

On 1/30/2023 at 8:09 PM, sinistral said:

The easiest method is to take reference to Mazda Australia. There's 3.3L i6 SkyActiv-G Turbo and 2.5L i4 PHEV for their CX-60, so the CX-80 will have similar powertrain (or at least, the 3.3L).

EU regulations on emissions are extremely strict so manufacturers have been downsizing engine capacity and putting more powerful turbo to attain the horsepower they are looking for, but who will want a 1L 3cyl turbo to drive a 1.4ton vehicle? Just NPCs. I don't think JP has that strict of a regulation so the sky is the limit for Mazda to design their newest engines. At highway speed, a higher displacement engine should have better fuel economy than a lower displacement engine since the higher displacement engine will run at a lower rpm. Correct me if I am wrong.

If the CX-80 sells at 400k, it would still be a whole 50k cheaper than the next conti rival which is BMW X5 but it would also face a fierce competitor which is the Lexus RX350L with their proven hybrid drivetrain.

Take reference is one thing. If the local dealer is not bringing it in or they feel that it is difficult to compete with other makes they will not waste time and waste money on it. Maybe PI will bring in a few units to test water. For them they dont have to stock up on spare parts like AD. They leave it to 3rd party workshops and parts distributor to settle parts issues. That's why ppl say PI have no after sales service. You are very much on your own after you take the keys.

Mazda now is going up market w/o coming up with a new brand eg. Toyota/ Lexus. They are going up against the luxury makes and still called Mazda. This would also price out a lot of their current customers worldwide. There is still the Mazda2. Their collab with Toyota is to rebadge the Yaris to Mazda2 and use Toyota's EV tech. Dunno whether Mazda will use Toyota ICE engines in the future? Mazda as you know is not an engine supplier unlike Toyota and Honda other than selling cars they sell engines too. Meaning the R&D, cost of making the Mazda engines are high. If I'm not wrong Mazda will be using Toyota's EV platforms to reduce their overall production cost.

Mazda3 is probably replaced by CX30 and the rest of the lineup are CX60 and CX80 with hybrids and EVs as options.

That's why I feel that they are a niche brand, like subaru. They are definitely not "mainstream" if you are to look at Japanese cars.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Mazdas are the most premium Japanese car maker, unlike the usual toyota, honda etc...
This CX90 looks like BMW X7 from behind... they are really a cut above the rest.. way to go zoom zoom.   

• Praise 1

56 minutes ago, Davidklt said:

Mazda is almost a SUV company now. There are more SUV options in their line up compared to sedans.

Because it is SUV Trend now.

3 hours ago, Davidklt said:

Mazda is almost a SUV company now. There are more SUV options in their line up compared to sedans.

Porsche is a SUV company.

Best selling models are Cayenne and Macan

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Take reference is one thing. If the local dealer is not bringing it in or they feel that it is difficult to compete with other makes they will not waste time and waste money on it. Maybe PI will bring in a few units to test water. For them they dont have to stock up on spare parts like AD. They leave it to 3rd party workshops and parts distributor to settle parts issues. That's why ppl say PI have no after sales service. You are very much on your own after you take the keys.

Mazda now is going up market w/o coming up with a new brand eg. Toyota/ Lexus. They are going up against the luxury makes and still called Mazda. This would also price out a lot of their current customers worldwide. There is still the Mazda2. Their collab with Toyota is to rebadge the Yaris to Mazda2 and use Toyota's EV tech. Dunno whether Mazda will use Toyota ICE engines in the future? Mazda as you know is not an engine supplier unlike Toyota and Honda other than selling cars they sell engines too. Meaning the R&D, cost of making the Mazda engines are high. If I'm not wrong Mazda will be using Toyota's EV platforms to reduce their overall production cost.

Mazda3 is probably replaced by CX30 and the rest of the lineup are CX60 and CX80 with hybrids and EVs as options.

That's why I feel that they are a niche brand, like subaru. They are definitely not "mainstream" if you are to look at Japanese cars.

TEK will probably bring in just one powertrain variant for CX-60 or even CX-80, the 2.5L PHEV, given the tax and VES structure here.

Yes, in fact they did state they will go upmarket and try to compete with the luxury brands. US is a big market for them and I feel they will likely succeed, since the CX-5 was well-received there. The badge engineering was a unique arrangement; Mazda sells the Yaris as Mazda 2 in Europe, while Toyota sells the Mazda 2 as Yaris. It is very unlikely Mazda will use Toyota ICE (nothing special about ICE, Toyota is known for their hybrid tech and research into hydrogen fuel cell/internal combustion tech) and will continue developing their SkyActiv engine and transmission technology. It is actually Subaru that uses Toyota's EV platform (Subaru Solterra vis-a-vis Toyota bZ4X).

For a relatively small car company, I think Mazda is really innovating over the past decade since their split from Ford. Niche? Perhaps for bucking the trend of going small displacement engine just to meet emissions requirement.

Edited by sinistral
  • Praise 1

For those not aware, Mazda is not doing well, last 2 years US/global sales has been declining.

This IL6 RWD strategy was decided many years ago, before the current EV wave sweep all these calculations away.

I think they will gains fans and respect but results will continue to decline because they are unfortunately betting against a tsunami wave of EV.