Confusing, overlapping lane markings causing collisions on Malaysia’s expressway

Kopites

I don't want to link under some other threads as it might get buried under those thread. 

Safety concern hope this piece of news can bring your attention when driving up north. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/confusing-overlapping-lane-markings-led-to-crash-on-malaysia-s-expressway

A full investigation has been ordered into an accident that occurred on the New Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE), when two cars collided apparently due to confusing, overlapping yellow and white markings on the road, said Malaysia’s Works Minister Alexander Nanta Linggi.

Embed the video here. 

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I see the video it looks more like the driver of the black car over-reacted, then over-corrected... if it was due to confusing markings the car would drifted over more gradually.

Anyway the driver lacked situational awareness and fail to check blind spot.

There are many roads in rural areas in Malaysia with faded road markings and you just have to not make sudden moves, signal well in advance and observe the cars in front of you. Since the lane is uncertain.

Even in SG there are a number of roads poorly maintained and the marking has faded. Have a look at geylang road for example.

• Praise 9

4 lanes becums 3 lanes...the car on the right of beedeo sibeh fast...no sight after undertook cam car...😁

At least they have someone whom reacted immediately...here...? Sit and quietly wait with eye power...😅

• Praise 3

46 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

4 lanes becums 3 lanes...the car on the right of beedeo sibeh fast...no sight after undertook cam car...😁

At least they have someone whom reacted immediately...here...? Sit and quietly wait with eye power...😅

Here such accident likely to be property damages. Over there such accident can be fatal. 

13 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Here such accident likely to be property damages. Over there such accident can be fatal. 

Can be fatal also...so many road works around...densely populated Island state aside...fw working on the road also must protect a bit 😁

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, mersaylee said:

here they are, as usual, monitoring lah, if they are asked; and they will probably throw a bunch of figures to justify the continuing of monitoring......

• Haha! 2

Even Johor bahru right after kastam, the highway lines are quite faded. I remember driving for a few hundred metres of zero line markings on a foggy rainy afternoon. Just keep straight, and give some spacing to the left and right and stay in the center.

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Sosaria said:

I see the video it looks more like the driver of the black car over-reacted, then over-corrected... if it was due to confusing markings the car would drifted over more gradually.

There are many roads in rural areas in Malaysia with faded road markings and you just have to not make sudden moves, signal well in advance and observe the cars in front of you. Since the lane is uncertain.

Even in SG there are a number of roads poorly maintained and the marking has faded. Have a look at geylang road for example.

he was misled by the road marking , and over reacted when he realised that he was too close to the white car, the rest is history. 

• Praise 2

We got our Singapore version at Upper Serangoon road.. although not as bad..

Drivers new to that stretch i pray they don hit me..

I kenna once from PHV driver during one of the raining days.. he eat into my lane but blasted his horn so loud that make me feel i am the one at fault

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

13 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Yeah ..

old school real men drive without traction control 

Edited by Sdf4786k

13 hours ago, Kopites said:

I don't want to link under some other threads as it might get buried under those thread. 

Safety concern hope this piece of news can bring your attention when driving up north. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/confusing-overlapping-lane-markings-led-to-crash-on-malaysia-s-expressway

A full investigation has been ordered into an accident that occurred on the New Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE), when two cars collided apparently due to confusing, overlapping yellow and white markings on the road, said Malaysia’s Works Minister Alexander Nanta Linggi.

Embed the video here. 

Those driving Tesla cars better not use the self driving function then.

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

he was misled by the road marking , and over reacted when he realised that he was too close to the white car, the rest is history. 

This type of ppl is those that can be mislead by GPS and drive into drain .😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2