Taxi driver shares pitiful sight of elderly woman picking up cardboard boxes on CNY Eve, says ‘this just breaks my heart’

Fitvip

27 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

ypB1PKI.jpg

Her concern is indeed true.. bro @Fcw75 seem displaced in this country liao.. which minister oso dunno! whahahahahahaha..

*joking huh*

• Haha! 4

4 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Her concern is indeed true.. bro @Fcw75 seem displaced in this country liao.. which minister oso dunno! whahahahahahaha..

*joking huh*

Indeed.

Think they are monitoring closely.

• Haha! 4

On 1/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, Jellandross said:

Don't worry help is always available

12.jpg

Yes, please do your part and protect the environment.

KNN sibeh wayang.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

*joking huh*

When you have a long line of ppl taking turns to screw your backside, the individual faces will eventually blur out due to numbness 😭

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/28/2023 at 1:20 PM, Sosaria said:

Quoted from article:

Speaking to The Pride, Nafiz felt that the ageing population and outsourcing of low-wage jobs to foreigners were contributing factors.

He said: “Most of (the elderly) are financially unstable because they don’t have jobs. There are those who have children, but unfortunately, Singapore’s cost of living is very high, and some are not earning enough to support their elderly. So these elderlies will find ways to make their own living.”

It's very easy to shoot like that lah, but look deeper and often some of these elderly are not staying with or supported by their kids due to anti-social issues or they don't have kids in the first place. Divorced, estranged, etc.

Not everything simply lump on "outsourcing low-wage job to foreigner" - in fact, it is these low-wage job that needs more FW; jobs that locals shun.

Even if miraculously can find locals to staff all these low-wage job, some elderly will still be out there collecting cardboard if they have no supporting family members or their anti-social tendencies make them unable to stay with their family members or relatives.

A cautionary message for our Millennials and Gen Z who are on the way to middle age, on why despite the challenges and sacrifices that have to be made to get married and have a family, it is still an important preparation for the future! You can have all the money and savings but no one willing or feel obligated to care for you, also die!

Agree with u 200%

I used to put in many hours each week volunteering to help these elderlies staying in 1 room rental flats and homes. Helping means to spend time to talk to them, clean their house, bring them go see doctor, pay for their utilities/food etc type of help. These r the old folks u see cleaning tables, collecting cans and cardboard and selling tissues.

I can tell u with full confidence that the vast majority of them in this pitiful state are due to mainly 3 things:

• Children who abandon them
  • Ex gangsters/gamblers/alcoholics that made their families walk out on them
  • Unmarried folks with no kids and not close to their siblings for whatever reasons

Those who are quick to jump at the govt and say it's FT/cost of living etc etc ... please take your political fight somewhere else. Don't use these pitiful old folks as your political ammunition, that's below the belt.

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 8

On 1/28/2023 at 2:20 PM, PSP415 said:

And I have to meet 2 elderly couple who did it for exercise. 

Staying landed behind then Hotel Windsor. Early morning start, lunch break at home and finished night 8ish. Say good for health otherwise stare at 4 walls daily. 

Spoil market. And they collected alot of cupboards and happy as larks with the money collected. Can keep. 

Tmd. 😁😂😅😅😅 True story ya. 

Stay safe all 

Cheers 

In my neighborhood there's also a karanguni and cardboard collector elderly couple easily in their 70s or 80s. I suspect they did it because they either like it and or for exercise. Definitely not because they need money coz they're staying in a 3000 sqft corner terrace.

• Praise 2

On 1/28/2023 at 11:55 AM, Inlinefour said:

pappies claimed that doing exercises 

nothing to do with earning living 

must be fake news 🤐🤐🤐

yeah,, she must be doing exercise to keep herself healthy

• Haha! 3

It is indeed very sad that we pride ourselves as developed and one of the highest per capital country in the world. How is it our own citizens have to struggle for a decent living.

Yes, to a certain extent, some may have their own doing for their current situation but why are we not helping them but pride ourselves as sending humanitarian aids in other countries? You got to help ourselves first before you reach out to others. 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Victor68 said:

It is indeed very sad that we pride ourselves as developed and one of the highest per capital country in the world. How is it our own citizens have to struggle for a decent living.

Yes, to a certain extent, some may have their own doing for their current situation but why are we not helping them but pride ourselves as sending humanitarian aids in other countries? You got to help ourselves first before you reach out to others. 

Based on my experience, many of them doing that is because they do not want to feel useless and wants to have some semblance of “independence”. While there are definately more ways to help them, I do not agree that everything should be dumped on the govt/taxpayers.

I’m not sure if you know or not. For these group of elderlies, they hold a special card which entitles them to almost free public transport, and if they are sick and they were to go to govt hospital/polyclinic, they would not be turned away because they have no money. Even the rental flat they are staying in, many of them are on govt assistance and not even paying the rental/utilities. Food are mostly taken care of the combined efforts of religious organisations and social services.

What these people really need is a family, a home shared with loved ones and grandchildren. I’m not sure how can the govt help them in this aspect.

• Praise 5

3 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Based on my experience, many of them doing that is because they do not want to feel useless and wants to have some semblance of “independence”. While there are definately more ways to help them, I do not agree that everything should be dumped on the govt/taxpayers.

I’m not sure if you know or not. For these group of elderlies, they hold a special card which entitles them to almost free public transport, and if they are sick and they were to go to govt hospital/polyclinic, they would not be turned away because they have no money. Even the rental flat they are staying in, many of them are on govt assistance and not even paying the rental/utilities. Food are mostly taken care of the combined efforts of religious organisations and social services.

What these people really need is a family, a home shared with loved ones and grandchildren. I’m not sure how can the govt help them in this aspect.

I can understand some would like to be 'independent' by earning a living without having to stretch his/her hands out like beggar. I doubt they want to be pushing huge heavy trolley load of cardboard if they have a better choice. Selling tissue could be something more manageable. So I am not sure of your 'want to' version claim. Like what someone said, exercise har? 

1 minute ago, Victor68 said:

I can understand some would like to be 'independent' by earning a living without having to stretch his/her hands out like beggar. I doubt they want to be pushing huge heavy trolley load of cardboard if they have a better choice. Selling tissue could be something more manageable. So I am not sure of your 'want to' version claim. Like what someone said, exercise har? 

I’m not even trying to suggest that what they are doing is their dream job. It’s more like they are doing what they can in their circumstances.

So what is the alternative you’d like to suggest? Maybe you’d like to volunteer your time to teach them how to sell tissues?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1