Would you help to change another car's tyre in another country?

Atrecord

Per the subject, would you do it? (ok, it's only MY, not that 'foreign')

Went with family for a short trip to JB after Christmas, and actually did it. 

It started with a trip to AEON Tebrau on day 2 of our trip. It was in any case more for wife and kids to do some shopping, and I had just had dental procedure done few days ago so didn't quite enjoy the trip as my tooth was still in some discomfort.

On the way back to our car at the MSCP, and as we opened the boot to put in the shopping bags, from behind a tall vehicle (i think it was another SUV) parked behind us, suddenly there was a woman who came over (she - and her car parked a few vehicles after the SUV - was blocked by the SUV so we didn't notice her at all when approaching our car), and started asking in Mandarin whether we know how to change tyre, and that she (she used 'they') needed help with it as she/they were not sure how to do it...

To be honest, i was initially really skeptical of it, with thoughts of different types/ways of scams starting to form at the back of my mind. I didn't even take note of her accent (which turned out to be Singaporean) as my defence mechanism automatically came out... But at that moment somehow decided to do some good if possible - maybe hoping to accumulate some good karma since my tooth has been giving me problems lately... 😅

So i followed her to her car, with my wife few steps behind me - just to make sure i won't be abducted, maybe 🤣

It was just i think 3 cars away, and when we reached there, saw that the boot was opened (so i didn't see the number plate), a guy was squatting on the rear left tyre there trying to use the tools to loosen the tyre's nut, and there was a spare tyre, a baby seat and loads of stuff (presumably removed from the boot before the spare tyre could be taken out) on the floor nearby. There was also a little girl, maybe 5-7 yr old playing around.

The guy was clearly sweating already, so it looks like it's a bona fide case of desperately needing help...

They explained that they couldn't loosen the nuts and they didn't know whether it was clockwise or anti-clockwise... and asked if i know and could help. 

Well, i don't do it everyday, but had at least done it a few times over the few decades of driving, so i told him it's anti, and proceeded to step on the L-shaped tool (what's the name...) latched onto the nut. But it was really very tight, and i couldn't move it, even when stepping on it... Good thing my 17-yr-old son - who's taller and heavier than me - was around, and i called him over to jump on the tool, and then came the lovely 'kiak-kiak-kiak' loud noise, which frightened them, but (i told them) was the sound of the nut loosening. So my son managed to do it.

At this point, there were about 6-7 Malays who went towards the 2 cars parked next to mine, and were about just behind this one, and a couple of them said that they had seen the tyre being flat when they arrived earlier... I acknowledged a bit and continued with the 'rescue'. Later my wife told me that the two were SG cars too.

After another about 20 min or more, managed to loosen all the nuts and removed the flat tyre, and then fixed the spare one in. The guy was busy tightening the nuts back, and i stressed to them not to speed too much when on the spare tyre, and seeing that they could manage on their own already, i proceeded with my son to go back to the mall's toilet to wash our dirty hands. 

They thanked us profusely as we left, and my wife mentioned that they are Singaporeans - at which point i also felt they sounded Singaporean...

As i walked back to the car, i walked to the front, and indeed saw that it was a SG-registered Altis. When i got back to our car and drove off, wife said that she chatted with the woman while waiting for us, and when they intro themselves, they actually shared a common middle name, plus they actually stay at Hougang, which is not far from us... what a coincidence. Oh, apart from the 5-7 yr-old girl who was playing around, apparently there was another younger girl in a child seat inside the car.

Good that we managed to help a fellow Singaporean who was in trouble away from home.

Just sharing...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 37

6 hours ago, Atrecord said:

It started with a trip to AEON Tebrau on day 2 of our trip. It was in any case more for wife and kids to do some shopping, and I had just had dental procedure done few days ago so didn't quite enjoy the trip as my tooth was still in some discomfort.

On the way back to our car at the MSCP, and as we opened the boot to put in the shopping bags, from behind a tall vehicle (i think it was another SUV) parked behind us, suddenly there was a woman who came over (she - and her car parked a few vehicles after the SUV - was blocked by the SUV so we didn't notice her at all when approaching our car), and started asking in Mandarin whether we know how to change tyre, and that she (she used 'they') needed help with it as she/they were not sure how to do it...

To be honest, i was initially really skeptical of it, with thoughts of different types/ways of scams starting to form at the back of my mind. I didn't even take note of her accent (which turned out to be Singaporean) as my defence mechanism automatically came out... But at that moment somehow decided to do some good if possible - maybe hoping to accumulate some good karma since my tooth has been giving me problems lately... 😅

So i followed her to her car, with my wife few steps behind me - just to make sure i won't be abducted, maybe 🤣

It was just i think 3 cars away, and when we reached there, saw that the boot was opened (so i didn't see the number plate), a guy was squatting on the rear left tyre there trying to use the tools to loosen the tyre's nut, and there was a spare tyre, a baby seat and loads of stuff (presumably removed from the boot before the spare tyre could be taken out) on the floor nearby. There was also a little girl, maybe 5-7 yr old playing around.

The guy was clearly sweating already, so it looks like it's a bona fide case of desperately needing help...

They explained that they couldn't loosen the nuts and they didn't know whether it was clockwise or anti-clockwise... and asked if i know and could help. 

Well, i don't do it everyday, but had at least done it a few times over the few decades of driving, so i told him it's anti, and proceeded to step on the L-shaped tool (what's the name...) latched onto the nut. But it was really very tight, and i couldn't move it, even when stepping on it... Good thing my 17-yr-old son - who's taller and heavier than me - was around, and i called him over to jump on the tool, and then came the lovely 'kiak-kiak-kiak' loud noise, which frightened them, but (i told them) was the sound of the nut loosening. So my son managed to do it.

At this point, there were about 6-7 Malays who went towards the 2 cars parked next to mine, and were about just behind this one, and a couple of them said that they had seen the tyre being flat when they arrived earlier... I acknowledged a bit and continued with the 'rescue'. Later my wife told me that the two were SG cars too.

After another about 20 min or more, managed to loosen all the nuts and removed the flat tyre, and then fixed the spare one in. The guy was busy tightening the nuts back, and i stressed to them not to speed too much when on the spare tyre, and seeing that they could manage on their own already, i proceeded with my son to go back to the mall's toilet to wash our dirty hands. 

They thanked us profusely as we left, and my wife mentioned that they are Singaporeans - at which point i also felt they sounded Singaporean...

As i walked back to the car, i walked to the front, and indeed saw that it was a SG-registered Altis. When i got back to our car and drove off, wife said that she chatted with the woman while waiting for us, and when they intro themselves, they actually shared a common middle name, plus they actually stay at Hougang, which is not far from us... what a coincidence. Oh, apart from the 5-7 yr-old girl who was playing around, apparently there was another younger girl in a child seat inside the car.

Good that we managed to help a fellow Singaporean who was in trouble away from home.

Just sharing...

Not a foreign country but recently, on the way home, at the road outside my place, saw a fellow VW Golf with a completely shredded front right tyre stranded with hazard lights on, and a cone placed behind(borrowed from the nearby mall). Since it was just outside my place and I wasn't in a rush, I stopped behind and offered to help.

It was a Karen man, KNN, this chinese auntie-ish (40 plus), who obviously did not know how to change a tyre, as standing there, and when I offered to help, she said angrily "why are you so kaypoh, just mind your own business and stop being a busybody, I alr called my son"

I was like fine then, suit yourself, and drove off. Went home and looked out the window and saw her still waiting helplessly for her "son", who was no where to be seen. About 1.5 hours later, the VW 24 hr assist golf sportsvan appeared and a malay dude came out, to do exactly what I offered to help her with earlier xD

Didn't know her son almost her age and works for VW roadside assist, wow just nice sia HAHAHAHAHA

Anw, she could have been home 1.5 hours earlier if she accepted my help, and even if she didn't, there was no need to be so snarky about it. I wasn't even expecting a "Thank You", if she didn't need the help, just say no need. Still puzzled as to why she reacted so angrily, maybe I look like her ex or smth idk 

Sometimes, it really doesn't pay to be nice 😅

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 3
  • Haha! 31

Sometime,doing good deed,don't get reward,scarly the Lady with Flat Tyre is a Bait for Robbers to rob us,

Edited by ER-3682
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 2

me always pump syt xmm oops help top-up air for them 🙊🙉🙈 

as for highway holding umbrella for syt xmm provide shade while viewing cleavage oops tyre replacement 🙈🙉🙊

• Shocked 2
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

Not a foreign country but recently, on the way home, at the road outside my place, saw a fellow VW Golf with a completely shredded front right tyre stranded with hazard lights on, and a cone placed behind(borrowed from the nearby mall). Since it was just outside my place and I wasn't in a rush, I stopped behind and offered to help.

It was a Karen man, KNN, this chinese auntie-ish (40 plus), who obviously did not know how to change a tyre, as standing there, and when I offered to help, she said angrily "why are you so kaypoh, just mind your own business and stop being a busybody, I alr called my son"

I was like fine then, suit yourself, and drove off. Went home and looked out the window and saw her still waiting helplessly for her "son", who was no where to be seen. About 1.5 hours later, the VW 24 hr assist golf sportsvan appeared and a malay dude came out, to do exactly what I offered to help her with earlier xD

Didn't know her son almost her age and works for VW roadside assist, wow just nice sia HAHAHAHAHA

Anw, she could have been home 1.5 hours earlier if she accepted my help, and even if she didn't, there was no need to be so snarky about it. I wasn't even expecting a "Thank You", if she didn't need the help, just say no need. Still puzzled as to why she reacted so angrily, maybe I look like her ex or smth idk 

1. you look like going to rob wealth rob colour

2. your zipper was inadvertently undone

:XD:

• Haha! 14

Huh? What era is it now? It is the smartphone age, just call the dealers hotline or tow truck or Google for tow truck. Cars now come with TPMS or TPWS(warning) system. If see the warning light come on and still ignore it then it is your fault.

Anyway changing a tire isnt difficult just need strength to do it. If afraid of getting your hands dirty do what I do, put a pair of cotton gloves together with the spare. If you are on a road trip just have the foreign country's dealer hotline store in your smartphone.

For me I have an analogue tire inflator that I keep in the boot. In case the spare dont have enough air pressure. The digital one I keep at home.

In the hp age nobody will gong gong sit by the road and wait for others to offer help.

• Praise 3

20 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Huh? What era is it now? It is the smartphone age, just call the dealers hotline or tow truck or Google for tow truck. Cars now come with TPMS or TPWS(warning) system. If see the warning light come on and still ignore it then it is your fault.

Anyway changing a tire isnt difficult just need strength to do it. If afraid of getting your hands dirty do what I do, put a pair of cotton gloves together with the spare. If you are on a road trip just have the foreign country's dealer hotline store in your smartphone.

For me I have an analogue tire inflator that I keep in the boot. In case the spare dont have enough air pressure. The digital one I keep at home.

In the hp age nobody will gong gong sit by the road and wait for others to offer help.

Nowadays car still come with spare tyre?

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Just sharing...

I guess you’ve done your risk assessment and weighed it against your desire to help others.

Not going to comment if I would have done the same, every person has a different risk tolerance.

Perhaps next time, get at least a mall security guard to stand around while helping others. Never been to JB and still have no reason to go.

But for anyone who wants to help another motorist change a tire, first make sure that the spare has air, or they have an inflator and sealant. Else it’s a waste of time to take the tire off.

• Praise 6

@Atrecord kudos for the good deed! [thumbsup]

I have help several motorists in Singapore to change their tyre or jump start their engine but will think twice (and likely not) when in Malaysia. Read too many news about using car breakdown as bait to rob helpful motorists, and some were even injured in the process.

You said that someone saw tyres been flatten? IF, a big if, it was just the stranded lady driver and you (no others with you) at the car park, who know if suddenly a few guys with weapon will appears and rob both of you... Not trying to scare you but it is a scene too familiar.

However it is lucky that you have your family with you and the lady hubby was there too, plus a few passerby, situation is much safer I guess. The next time you encounter similar situation, assess the surrounding before you act. I will only do it when there are frequent people movement in that area, but will get my family to stay in my car with doors locked, and mobile phone ready to call the polis. It pays to be vigilant.

• Praise 17

22 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

You will be surprised that many are still gong gong and don't know what to do. Not every driver knows how to change a tyre!

• Haha! 3

10 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Just sharing...

I like this part.

Your wife trained in martial art so as to fight back kidnappers!🤣

"So i followed her to her car, with my wife few steps behind me - just to make sure i won't be abducted, maybe 🤣"

• Haha! 6

The guy was clearly sweating already, so it looks like it's a bona fide case of desperately needing help...

That’s quite jialat for a man to be frank. 😓

• Haha! 9

5 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Nowadays car still come with spare tyre?

My suv comes with a full on spare. Not the space saving tire. Even has a tire sensor on the spare.

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

It’s you la bro. 🤪

Maybe if it’s @RadX  she straightaway accept. 

Edited by Fcw75
  • Haha! 4

3 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

I tink you'd met Jamesc's mil...my condolences not to you but him...for having to live with her...😁

• Haha! 7

once I was washing my rims when I heard loud rolling noise in the car park. I stood up and saw lady driver with a flat tyre that was already grinding on the rear rim zoom past me. started walking towards where she'd stopped but she quickly picked up her kid and zoomed off. 🤷‍♂️ 

and just to answer the perennial MCF question : not chio. [grin]

casual observation is that SYT / XMM nowadays use Vespa as personal transportation instead of driving. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2