'A blessing to find this kind of pricing in 2023,' says customer of Bedok stall selling $2 economic rice

Fitvip

From Asiaone

"These hawkers are the true heroes," wrote one appreciative netizen.

'A blessing to find this kind of pricing in 2023,' says customer of Bedok stall selling $2 economic rice

image.png.d5beaa9ba93bedd1218251734bc5d5f8.png

$2 'cai fan' or economic rice impossible to find these days, you say? 

Well they do exist, but here's another one to add to your list — Xian Jin Mixed Vegetable Rice, located at Blk 216 Bedok Hawker Centre.

In a post made to Hawkers United - Dabao 2020 Facebook page on Wednesday (Feb 1), a man named Ben Lim seemed almost disbelieving that his packet of 'cai fan' cost so little.

And yes, the rice even came with three dishes — including meat and egg, no cauliflower though.

Based on a photo taken of his meal, Lim had ordered what appeared to be chicken, some long beans with meat, and a braised egg.

He noted in his Facebook post that one could choose any three dishes for a standard price of $2, which includes rice.

"It's such a blessing to be able find this kind of pricing in year 2023," shared Lim.

Others too, felt the same. After all, $2 can hardly get you a drink these days, much less a full meal.

"$2 is extremely cheap, how to earn money?" one noted.

Another commenter, who was definitely feeling the pinch on behalf of the hawker, wrote: "Hopefully the stall owner can earn some profit… otherwise work for charity."

Even more unbelievably, prices at the stall appear to have remained unchanged for close to two years, seen from another post about the stall on Facebook page Singapore Atrium Sale in March 2021.

Read Also

'Cai fan' boss explains why he's still selling food at $2 despite 'not making enough'

Based on replies to the post shared by Lim and other patrons, the stall is managed by a "friendly and polite" lady boss. It's only open on weekdays from 9am to 2pm, and as expected, be prepared to queue.

Besides putting the 'economic' back into our plate of economic rice, that's not all the stall offers.

Other than 'cai fan', the stall also sells a variety of soups and congee — all at a wallet-friendly $2 as well.

image.png.260e45120fc723bb235796cf48863d43.pngPHOTO: Screengrab from Facebook/Hawkers United - Dabao 2020 

PHOTO: Screengrab from Facebook/Hawkers United - Dabao 2020

Many users in the group stated that for the price, one should just be grateful and not be picky about the food.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9
  • Shocked 1

This stall should be given a plaque, "Social Enterprises".

Those self proclaim :D :D :D 

Edited by jcmm
  • Praise 1

Anyone that has food on their plate is not unfortunate.

I mean I support by not going

so less fortunate people don't have food run out

and I don't add to the already very long queue.

:D

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, Fitvip said:

From Asiaone

image.png.d5beaa9ba93bedd1218251734bc5d5f8.png

$2 'cai fan' or economic rice impossible to find these days, you say? 

Well they do exist, but here's another one to add to your list — Xian Jin Mixed Vegetable Rice, located at Blk 216 Bedok Hawker Centre.

In a post made to Hawkers United - Dabao 2020 Facebook page on Wednesday (Feb 1), a man named Ben Lim seemed almost disbelieving that his packet of 'cai fan' cost so little.

And yes, the rice even came with three dishes — including meat and egg, no cauliflower though.

Based on a photo taken of his meal, Lim had ordered what appeared to be chicken, some long beans with meat, and a braised egg.

He noted in his Facebook post that one could choose any three dishes for a standard price of $2, which includes rice.

"It's such a blessing to be able find this kind of pricing in year 2023," shared Lim.

Others too, felt the same. After all, $2 can hardly get you a drink these days, much less a full meal.

"$2 is extremely cheap, how to earn money?" one noted.

Another commenter, who was definitely feeling the pinch on behalf of the hawker, wrote: "Hopefully the stall owner can earn some profit… otherwise work for charity."

Even more unbelievably, prices at the stall appear to have remained unchanged for close to two years, seen from another post about the stall on Facebook page Singapore Atrium Sale in March 2021.

Read Also

'Cai fan' boss explains why he's still selling food at $2 despite 'not making enough'

Based on replies to the post shared by Lim and other patrons, the stall is managed by a "friendly and polite" lady boss. It's only open on weekdays from 9am to 2pm, and as expected, be prepared to queue.

Besides putting the 'economic' back into our plate of economic rice, that's not all the stall offers.

Other than 'cai fan', the stall also sells a variety of soups and congee — all at a wallet-friendly $2 as well.

image.png.260e45120fc723bb235796cf48863d43.pngPHOTO: Screengrab from Facebook/Hawkers United - Dabao 2020 

PHOTO: Screengrab from Facebook/Hawkers United - Dabao 2020

Many users in the group stated that for the price, one should just be grateful and not be picky about the food.

I hope that somewhere there is $2 Ron 98 petrol in Singapore too.

• Haha! 2

As I always mention, hawkers are the only ones that can raise their salary anytime, anywhere, anyhow. When there is inflation, they raise. When there is new in inflation. They lagi raise. 

If the HC stalls are all on the original rental and operated by the needy to cater for affordable food to the public. Then no one will work for it probably. But I must say a lot of them paying high rental to operate and also raise their salary lah

• Praise 3

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

In current environment, it is bad for the stall not to raise price.

I agree for them to raise price. But look at some of them, just another grey area to discuss if we were to debate.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

In current environment, it is bad for the stall not to raise price.

Exactly… i think the lady boss is probably seeing it like doing charity.

If she got young school going kids and a mortgage to pay and car loan to service, I don’t think she’ll still be charging $2.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Arogab said:

I agree for them to raise price. But look at some of them, just another grey area to discuss if we were to debate.

I for one do not mind paying $7-$10 for hawker food if the food is good. If everybody still demands for $3 meals @ hawkers, there will be no more singaporeans or those good at cooking to do hawker stall for all of us liao.

I support that because i notice those hawker with good food are mostly operated by the founder/boss. I guess it’s because it’s their own business and there is a certain level of passion/pride/ownership in it. So they also put in more effort. If we want to continue to have access to good hawker food, we need to accept the higher price as well.

Those stores that hire cheap labour (e.g. food courts) on a 1 or 2 year contract from China, Philippines, India, Vietnam etc… these cheap labour will often do the minimum/anyhow cook.

• Praise 3

2 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I for one do not mind paying $7-$10 for hawker food if the food is good. If everybody still demands for $3 meals @ hawkers, there will be no more singaporeans or those good at cooking to do hawker stall for all of us liao.

I support that because i notice those hawker with good food are mostly operated by the founder/boss. I guess it’s because it’s their own business and there is a certain level of passion/pride/ownership in it. So they also put in more effort. If we want to continue to have access to good hawker food, we need to accept the higher price as well.

Those stores that hire cheap labour (e.g. food courts) on a 1 or 2 year contract from China, Philippines, India, Vietnam etc… these cheap labour will often do the minimum/anyhow cook.

For all you said, we should learn from the Swiss standard. But in actual fact, we are only looking at living Swiss standard and not doing it correctly. No prejudice, if you look at the Swiss, they did something which we do not do in technology and social circulation on the financial

• Praise 1

The thing is dunno whether the caifan owner is making money or not. Need to pay rent for the store, owner need to eat also. Maybe she pay herself $2 for her own cook meals too. Hehe...

Jokes aside, I am doubtful cos many F&B businesses and even hawkers call it a day due to raw ingredients price inflation. The $2 caifan is hard to sustain.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1