What constitutes bribery?

Philipkee

3 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

McDonald's, KFC or Mos burger ?

Up to you it's the thought that counts not the place.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 minute ago, Jamesc said:

Up to you it's the thought that counts not the place.

Oh my bad, the one giving treats should have the say. 😁😁  Pardon me. 😁

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Genuinely curious.

I give a few examples that i think are vague?

Teacher's day presents?

What kind of presents?

If you gave the teacher free massages and she changed your kids grade from D to A is a bribe.

Hampers from clients to your company?

Your company is a legal person.

So hamper to your company is not a bribe.

Hamper to you without your company knowing is a bribe if you favoured the supplier in a way that cause loss to your company.

Like you paid more for the same item.

Is someone asking for extra commission asking for a bribe?

So vague. My salesman asking for extra comm to close a big deal and I agree is not a bribe.

Comission is always paid by the company right and not the buyer?

What about a tip?

Tip is gratuity and not a bribe.

This question has on and off been in my mind but now the flavour of the month seems to be corruption and bribery so yes, curious.

41 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

When I buy lunch for friends, I don't expect or think of anything in return. image.png.9f5b3c93ad76c70003a6ec836a9b1c1d.png
image.png.d97fcdc9f982d61f8d161653043e8f5a.png

Seriously speaking, we all expect something, even if it's intangible like just some moral appreciation.  Moral acts of appreciation hot, not the rubba rubba kind.

34 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Let's go for lunch.

Many MCFers and I would love to meet you for lunch.

Me too

30 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

But who pays??

If it's just biscuits and coffee, car dealer?

15 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

@Philipkee Biscuits at the car dealers is Not a bribe.

We use it just to "sweeten" the deal.

CIPB will not be inviting you to tea.

Notice you conveniently omit biscuits.  Maybe CPIB also worried i keep volunteering to meet them to give them anonymous tips only for them to realise they got nothing worth anything from me but they ran out of tea and biscuits.

• Haha! 4

9 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Seriously speaking, we all expect something, even if it's intangible like just some moral appreciation. 

Lunch means date and date means marriage right?

If no marriage can sue for 3 million dollars.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Genuinely curious.

I give a few examples that i think are vague?

Teacher's day presents?

What about a tip?

This question has on and off been in my mind but now the flavour of the month seems to be corruption and bribery so yes, curious.

I used to have this conversation with a client in the govt hospital before.

They r really strict, because all the above can constitute as a bribe. I can't even buy them a cup of coffee and going to lunch with anyone of them, is strictly discouraged.

• Praise 6

Dinner means date, date means sex, sex means baby, baby means marriage.

You don't even need to ask.

The father will invite you with his shotgun.

No need to go court sue 3 million.

Oh sorry wrong thread.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

If you tip him for changing your tyre is gratitude or gratuity and is not a bribe.

Illegal gratuity is still an offence!

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

The transactions need not necessarily be in monetary term. It can be a favour (including sexual favour), a promise etc with the intention or knowledge that it will influence the recipient to do something which he is not supposed to do, or forbear to do  something which he is supposed to do. 

• Praise 5

46 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Seriously speaking, we all expect something, even if it's intangible like just some moral appreciation.  Moral acts of appreciation hot, not the rubba rubba kind.

Me too

If it's just biscuits and coffee, car dealer?

Notice you conveniently omit biscuits.  Maybe CPIB also worried i keep volunteering to meet them to give them anonymous tips only for them to realise they got nothing worth anything from me but they ran out of tea and biscuits.

"...Seriously speaking, we all expect something, even if it's intangible like just some moral appreciation.  Moral acts of appreciation hot, not the rubba rubba kind..."

If anything I asked them for their blessings and prayers for me and my family to be all in great health and long longevity. 🙏

• Praise 1

Think of it like business friends with benefits. It might or might not involve money or sex. 

If look at the govt scandals, Ng Boon Gay is considered got sex benefits. Ex-SLA fellow who drove a Lambo SV is obviously money bribery involved. The recent one should be the ex-LTA fellow who took bribes from contractors in the form of loans. When the "loans" are repaid in the form of giving more contracts. It is just putting icing on the word and not call it a bribe.

Teacher's day presents?

Pls lo, this type I think budget $10-$20 and teacher's day being one time a year I think the teacher wont get rich bah. Unless you are talking about the sex for grades nus lecturer.

The company will consolidate all hampers, tear it apart and distribute. Common practice.

What do you mean? Commission is usually fixed. Maybe if you are a top performer your company will give you extra bonus.

What about a tip?

You got to be specific on who you are giving it to. Our culture here is into tipping?

Other hearsay story I had heard of is the fellow bought a car and want the contractor to pay the installments. I dunno about the details. Of course not buy a lambo SV like the ex-SLA employee.

Edited by Watwheels

1 hour ago, Stratovarius said:

Your company should have the business ethnics guidelines. Basically small value gifts like umbrella and pens are alright. Strictly no cash.

Even most places policy depends on value of item... if gave u anything with value more than $100 or $200 must declare. Then company policy decide whether must hand over to company or not. Something like that

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Dinner means date, date means sex, sex means baby, baby means marriage.

You don't even need to ask.

The father will invite you with his shotgun.

No need to go court sue 3 million.

Oh sorry wrong thread.

Now i realise where your MIL came from.

You brought someone to dinner.  You have to marry liao or you got sued. 😞

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3