5 cents per plastic bag at supermarkets from mid 2023 (Start 3 July 2023)

Blueray

Bill on plastic bag charge tabled, shoppers to pay 5 cents or more at most supermarkets from mid-2023

SINGAPORE – From mid-2023, shoppers at most supermarkets will need to pay at least five cents for each disposable carrier bag.

Two-thirds of all supermarket outlets in Singapore – including NTUC FairPrice, Cold Storage, Giant, Sheng Siong and Prime – will impose the charge on all materials of disposable bags, including plastic and paper.

The upcoming carrier bag charge is among several proposed amendments to the Resource Sustainability Act tabled in Parliament on Monday. The aim of the proposed changes is to reduce packaging and food waste in Singapore. Only 6 per cent of all plastic waste was recycled in Singapore in 2021.

The carrier bag charge was first announced in early 2022.

The larger supermarket operators that will carry the charge have an annual turnover of more than $100 million and are better resourced to implement the requirements.

But smaller operators are encouraged to voluntarily implement their own bag charges, and many such retailers have already done so, said the National Environment Agency (NEA) and the Ministry of Sustainability and the Environment (MSE) in a joint statement on Monday.

These include The Body Shop as well as Cheers and FairPrice Xpress outlets, which started charging 10 cents for plastic bags per transaction in 2022.

“The minimum charge has been kept low to moderate the cost impact on shoppers, while encouraging them to be mindful of the number of disposable carrier bags they take,” the agencies said.

For accountability and transparency in the use of the carrier bag charge proceeds, supermarket operators will be required to publish information on the number of bags given to shoppers, the amount of proceeds received from the charge and how the proceeds are used, such as for the support of charitable or environmental causes, they added.

In furthering the recycling rate of drink bottles and cans by mid-2024, each beverage will likely cost 10 cents to 20 cents more. This deposit can be refunded when consumers return their used bottles and cans. This is part of the proposed beverage container return scheme.

The refund will likely be in the form of a cash or digital transfer, and beverage container return points will be set up at all supermarkets that are larger than 200 sq m. For instance, more than 130 FairPrice stores will participate in the scheme, said a spokesman for the supermarket chain.

A public consultation on the proposed return scheme, which had a report published in late 2022, proposed that the scheme include containers that are between 150ml and 3 litres. The bulk of the used cans and bottles is likely to be returned through smart reverse vending machines.

The scheme will also support the development of Singapore’s recycling industry, noted NEA and MSE.

As part of efforts to tackle food waste, industrial and commercial premises will be required to segregate their food waste, also starting in 2024. These buildings account for about 40 per cent of the food waste generated each year.

They will also be required to measure and report the amount of food waste they have segregated for treatment.

In 2021, Singapore generated 817,000 tonnes of food waste, of which 19 per cent was recycled.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/carrier-bag-charge-at-larger-supermarkets-to-begin-in-mid-2023

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13
  • Angry 2
  • Sad 1

Aiyo, after typing, I realised this is one of those long long train of thoughts. 

Stop here immediately if reading further will cause you to go blind or have a heart attack ya. 

Stop here. 😂👍NOW.

My trains of thoughts begins here :

Guess one need to use recyclable bags more now than before or for those not done so, can start soon. 

Many ways to cut down on usage but this is one small step we all can help, especially if 5¢ per nag, I mean, bag is nothing to most people. 

My neighbours and I had a conversation awhile back on using disposable utensils like plastic plates, forks, spoons whenever we have our own gathering. 

One family is particularly in favour of using porcelain utensils and will do so when it's their turn to play host. Everything can be washed and stored except the trash. Actually, they are experimenting with composites as I type. Like 3 weeks of food waste fermentation. 

Another reasoned that it's futile and meaningless cos water is just as precious a resource and to wash up all those utensils will mean "depleting" an expensive resource which actually cost alot more. 

😔🤔😅 I chose to host less. In fact, I am in 2 minds, as both reasoning have its merits. 

This is a small step. The products sold should look at cutting down on plastic wrapping, packaging etc. Most use plastic bags, plastic wrapping and plastic containers eg ice cream, drinks etc. 

There are recycling efforts for these so it kinda "excuse" their rampant plastic use. But are the recycling efforts successfully done? 

Dun these plastic bags get recycled too? I know I use them exclusively for bagging food waste and trash. They are not thrown out immediately after keeping my purchases safe till home. 

Perhaps till food come in pills, no, not medicine kind, then there is no need or less need to create food waste from every home, to need a plastic bag. Other than that, cook less or just right amount so minimal waste. 

During Covid-19, wasn't there much more plastic waste generated with no eat in or here or there, only take-aways? Or food deliveries that came with many plastic bags, bottles etc? 

This is a forum and I am yada-ing. I am OK with cutting down on plastic bags.

In fact, I have 5 recyclable bags in the boot to bring along for groceries but I still use plastic bags to trash food waste at home. Its either use those from supermarkets or I buy from SKP and the likes.

Someone even suggest breaking food waste till so small that it can be washed down the sink. THAT'S another precious resource going down the drain - water. Next is pour lots of chemicals to clear the choke in the sink, when it happens. 😅😅

One big round to cold climax - no one likes change. But I guess it's the first step that's hardest. Always. I will take a longer time, I think, cos I am older and so are my habits. I may give up and pay 5¢. Oops

😂😂😂😂

Stay safe all 

Cheers 

• Praise 3

(edited)

wah piang, start thread for PSA end up kena angry reaction and points deducted ... pai tan ... 

note to self - next time let mods start threads. 🙂

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 2
  • Angry 1
  • Haha! 15

3 minutes ago, Blueray said:

wah piang, start thread for PSA end up kena angry reaction and points deducted ... pai tan ... 

here can't redeem vouchers

Only etique forum points useful 🙊🙉🙈

2 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

here can't redeem vouchers

Only etique forum points useful 🙊🙉🙈

ya lah ... just ranting. 

next time I just diam diam.

thought its common knowledge here that angry and dislike are points deducted. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

14 minutes ago, Blueray said:

ya lah ... just ranting. 

I know. 

But guess ppl forget and happy to react with dislike or angry. I usually will like that post just to "neutralise" the deduction. 

😂😂😂 

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Tohto said:

The bag are mainly use for pack rubbish. 

So if we need to buy plastic bag for rubbish, back to short one.

agree, end up LPPL, I have this in the cart for few months just waiting when to click payment [laugh]

Screenshot_20230206_195957_Lazada.jpg

• Praise 3

5 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

I know. 

But guess ppl forget and happy to react with dislike or angry. I usually will like that post just to "neutralise" the deduction. 

😂😂😂 

yeah, when I see unhappy news I still click praise to thank the forum member for informing. 

• Praise 6

47 minutes ago, Blueray said:

ya lah ... just ranting. 

me post one photo of my watch also kena dislike by MF ... what to do ... strange right cos I never stepped on his tail before ... plenty of siao lang around ... anyway I only UP MCFers never ZAP ... huat ah 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, Blueray said:

yeah, when I see unhappy news I still click praise to thank the forum member for informing. 

thats the spirit of share and care ... Cheers and me too 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

The point of this charging 5cents/10cents doesnt really have much effect on reducing plastic waste. In fact it is just charging more on consumers on top of all kinds of inflation and increased gst.

IMO should start from manufacturers like plastic bottled drinks. Use Aluminium instead of plastic, at least Aluminium can be recycled plus it has value that can be returned to consumers. 

Giving discounts to consumers who use their own bags rather than penalizing them. Machiam this idea is from pay and pay, penalizing citizens making them pay instead of rewarding them. What sh!t idea also collect money first. Come on, times are tough, collect less will die is it?

Dont you think it is like paying a 5cent/10cents fine each time you want to use a plastic bag? What a fine city.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 5

47 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

I know. 

😂😂😂 

Is it? Lidat, I had unintentionally in past gave minus points to some members. Paiseh.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Blueray said:

ya lah ... just ranting. 

Tbh I didn’t know angry = points deducted. I thought it’s to show anger at the behaviour displayed in the embedded videos.

to all whom I’ve mistakenly given Angry reactions, sorry! 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

57 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

agree, end up LPPL, I have this in the cart for few months just waiting when to click payment [laugh]

Screenshot_20230206_195957_Lazada.jpg

Hmm i use ikea bags when going to supermarket for almost a year already, like maybe 80-90% of the time.

Tthe number of plastic bags in my home hasn't really decreased. Just from dabao alone and other miscellaneous, i have enough to bag my food waste. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1