Is 1980s Singapore better?

Benarsenal

Is 1980s Singapore better?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1980s Singapore better?

• Yes
    • No

Unfortunately, I'm one of those who is not old enough to have lived through or remember much of the 1980s. But since Covid period I find myself watching archive footage and reading up about what life is like in Singapore in the 1980s.

My general sense is that, although things are probably not as sophisticated as now, there seems to be a general sense of more satisfaction. Maybe it's the fact that it was a 'right' mix of simpler times as well as good growth and prosperity (but not too much such that it becomes too stressful and competitive).

Those who lived through it, is it really better in the 80s compared to now?

Edited by Benarsenal
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Those were the days when I know I can save up for something I want. Price is pretty much constant for say HDB flat, car, or even private property. 

In the late 80s, my parent sold their close to 20 years old 3 room flat (76m2) at Boon Lay for $34K+/- and bought a new 4A (106m2) at Teck Whye for $63K.

From mid Y2K, price of everything seems like a run away train, the amount I saved cannot even matches the price increased, especially property. Yes, I prefer the days before Y2K. 

• Praise 19
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

No - I would say 90s was better because we started getting air-conditioned buses, and the proliferation of the MRT network. People started getting flats of decent size from HDB the likes you wouldn't see since. We didn't have a painfully obvious wave of foreign talents and we actually thought we could attain a Swiss Standard of living in the tropics.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Those were the days when I know I can save up for something I want. Price is pretty much constant for say HDB flat, car, or even private property. 

In the late 80s, my parent sold their close to 20 years old 3 room flat (76m2) at Boon Lay for $34K+/- and bought a new 4A (106m2) at Teck Whye for $63K.

From mid Y2K, price of everything seems like a run away train, the amount I saved cannot even matches the price increased, especially property. Yes, I prefer the days before Y2K. 

90s is the best 

kena left right center from trainers 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha! 1

(edited)

I realised that MeWatch actually have a lot of the old SBC shows in their archives, although they're not easy to find (need to specifically search). But some of them feels like a good window into the past.

Like I came across this very interesting Ch 8 drama from 1986: https://www.mewatch.sg/show/家和万事兴-29504

Never seen Chen Shu Cheng and Zhu Houren look so young before. And Huang Yi Liang driving Lotus Esprit LOL.  :D

Edited by Benarsenal
  • Haha! 9

7 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I remember hdb prices going mad in early 90s, every quarter go up 5 figure type crazy, someone clearly decided that's the way to go for hdb policy. A friend got a 5room at $125k, we tot it was crazy expensive.... only to realise it was so cheap just a few years later. 

Not helped by all the "asset enhancement" that was actually "asset inflation".

Iirc, there was a big dump around y2k... many people got caught .. then cycle reappeared in mid y2k.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7
  • Sad 1