JCube to be redeveloped into 40-storey apartment block, shopping mall to shutter from Aug 7

Daniu82

4 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

Another waste of money. JCube less than 10 years old nia.

Just to give history lesson here (old man speaking)

JCUBE is a major reno of what used to be called Jurong Entertainment Center. As students in the 90s, we used to call it Jurong4 as it had 4 cineplex screens.

So this building has been around at least since the late 80s.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged

Singaporeans' birth rate has been declining yet the demand in flats and condos are never enough

no prizes for guessing the correct reason...

• Praise 3

57 minutes ago, Scion said:

Singaporeans' birth rate has been declining yet the demand in flats and condos are never enough

no 10,000,000 no talk ! 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Scion said:

20 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

no 10,000,000 no talk ! 

If enough, we are entering silver zone

Like Nihonji

To me it shows lack of foresight. If the area was meant to be zoned for residential in the first place, why even bother to make the effort to build a shopping mall only to last for 10 years? Why not just build the condo back then in the first place?

Singapore used to be very good at planning all these 20-30 years in advanced, but nowadays it just seems like it's just chasing whatever trend that brings in the money and indulge in all these wasteful building and destroying.

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

To me it shows lack of foresight. If the area was meant to be zoned for residential in the first place, why even bother to make the effort to build a shopping mall only to last for 10 years? Why not just build the condo back then in the first place?

Singapore used to be very good at planning all these 20-30 years in advanced, but nowadays it just seems like it's just chasing whatever trend that brings in the money and indulge in all these wasteful building and destroying.

That area is a white site.

6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Likely it is out of the main belt.

my last extended stay at Jcube was when I watched Spectre upstairs. the sound system sux so I gave up on that cinema.

other times I go Jcube is just to dabao food and leave.

Jcube is a mall on its own, not big enough to bring in crowds, and 5 mins walk from MRT is too far for many Singaporeans. 

on the other side, Jem and Westgate are side by side and have direct MRT access. and people are willing to JWalk from Westgate to IMM. 

17 hours ago, 13177 said:

Ya, thought gahment pushing for what simi sai green movement and EV, and yet they waste so much resources in tearing down ''new'' building and structure and redevelop again.

all these greens are only meant to exploit more money from us....

• Sad 1

I can understand if they want to test down the next building that houses the carpark and NTUC. There are plenty of land nearby, why tear down such a new building to save a few kilograms of plastic bags. 

Biz there is bad but it is not that building problem leh. 

12 hours ago, Blueray said:

my last extended stay at Jcube was when I watched Spectre upstairs. the sound system sux so I gave up on that cinema.

other times I go Jcube is just to dabao food and leave.

Jcube is a mall on its own, not big enough to bring in crowds, and 5 mins walk from MRT is too far for many Singaporeans. 

on the other side, Jem and Westgate are side by side and have direct MRT access. and people are willing to JWalk from Westgate to IMM. 

I dont understand why people find walking to Jcube is 'far'? Whereas they dont mind walk to IMM. IMM so consider far from MRT lo. Lol.

Anyway, dont know if the new Jcube building will manage to attract crowds. Maybe even after new building, people still find 5 mins from MRT is too far.

3 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Anyone know if they demolish and rebuild or just redesign and build on top of existing infrastructure?

If they are going to build a 40 storey building, should tear down the whole building and rebuild.

22 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I dont understand why people find walking to Jcube is 'far'? Whereas they dont mind walk to IMM. IMM so consider far from MRT lo. Lol.

Anyway, dont know if the new Jcube building will manage to attract crowds. Maybe even after new building, people still find 5 mins from MRT is too far.

Sheltered walkway all the way

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

walk from Jurong East MRT to JCube have to walk past big bus interchange, inhale bus exhaust and cross traffic junction.

walk from Jurong East MRT to IMM is via JWalk. seamless. can see xmm in missy outfits. 

Edited by Blueray
  • Haha! 6

16 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

To SG Inc, as long as investor willing to pay, building and tearing down is fine, will increase gdp anyway. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Angry 1
  • Haha! 1