Singapore's total fertility rate drops to historic low of 1.05

yishunite

15 minutes ago, yishunite said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/singapore-total-fertility-rate-population-births-ageing-parents-children-3301846

PAP greatest failure is creating a country where no one wants to have chewren

Discuss.

Very common in developed countries actually. Children are (unfortunately) a burden when put alongside career and earning money.

22 minutes ago, Soya said:

Ppl too busy taking selfies n posting what they ate for bf, lunch n dinner. Where got time to hv chewren?

I rather these ppl not to have children 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

"This was partly due to the Tiger year in the Lunar calendar, which is generally associated with lower births among the Chinese," Minister in the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) Indranee Rajah said in Parliament on Friday (Feb 24).

Oh please, she’s also one of them who contributed to the low birth rate. 🙄

• Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Silverkris said:

What's the advantage of having children again?

You mean here? Slave to the system and slog for the PAP machinery.

Ask them to stop emphasizing ‘FOR SINGAPOREANS’…🤮

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

Covid lock down cannot go out, couples hiding at home nothing to do, what else did they do if they dindt do what a couple suppose to do? 

We were just chatting with friends on this topic and another perspective shared: livelihood getting more challenging such that couples are reluctant to procreate as they do not want their offspring to "suffer" in this country - i.e lack of prospect for the future generations?

• Praise 5
  • Sad 1

On 2/24/2023 at 9:44 PM, 13177 said:

That's why they are increasing more carrots to encourage people to have chewren lo.

The same way we are tackling HDB (public housing) concerns with subsidies and grants? Avoiding the core concern/s? Hahaha

• Praise 2

Gentlemen, it’s time to cum out of retirement and draw your personal firepower  to do your national service again…chiong shuah loh hai…无所不及 💪😁✌️

report at gaylang for checkup and zero your weapon first…😆

• Haha! 7

On 2/25/2023 at 12:19 AM, Wolfverine said:

We were just chatting with friends on this topic and another perspective shared: livelihood getting more challenging such that couples are reluctant to procreate as they do not want their offspring to "suffer" in this country - i.e lack of prospect for the future generations?

I think time is a major issue. 

Working lives are busy. And adults like us want to return to a life after the kids have flown the coop. 

I know some people who delay having their 2nd kid in order to have more time in the earlier years with the first one. 

Personally most people I know has kids or really want kids (but is unable to so far). Some couples I know that don't have kids, I'm not sure whether it's cos they can't and won't say. 

The ones who are single are suspected to be batting for the other team, or just very comfortable in singlehood. 

For my own family, we consciously put a hard stop at two. For the 1st and 2nd reason. And also an increasing fear of risk of autism or developmental issues as my wife is the same age as me. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 8

On 2/25/2023 at 12:19 AM, Wolfverine said:

Exactly.

I do like kids but the thought of them growing up here is just depressing. Stressful and crowded. 

Maybe if I had migrated to Canada last time then it would be a different story I guess. 

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 2

Gov should stop emphasis on chasing increased economic and monetary values at all cost. These values have caused prices of everything to increase, have caused increased migration of "more desirable" immigrants causing Singapore to be no longer the Singapore that locals desired and long for.
With locals forced to pay so much for everything, young couples dare not have children. With locals being forced to compete for everything (jobs, housing, space) with foreigners, who will want to have kids in Singapore?
If we are able to have a slightly more relaxed life, some call it work-life balance, couples will be more willing to have kids.

Gov policies should focus less on economic progress at all costs.

Edited by Flying_genie
  • Praise 9