Poor paint job by One Garage & Colour

bemywife

Hi brothers and sisters, sorry I took quite a while to respond. By the way, I was not being "frightened" away, but a bit occupied during the weekend.

Appreciate those of you who gave your comments and suggestions. Actually I didn't expect so many replies. Some of you have a wicked humour, and be assured that I don't take offense so easily. The nick of "Bemywife" is just a little joke corresponding to "BMW".

I would like to recap some of the viewpoints given by you guys here:

1. Plastic vs metal

2. Old paint vs new paint

3. Different angles and lighting

4. Managing expectations

Well, I have gotten a few "industry" folks to look at it in person, and although they acknowledged that there is indeed shade difference, they don't think it's too far out. Under carpark lighting, the difference between bumper and bonnet will appear more obvious as compared to under natural lighting.

One of them advised that if the same workshop can mix the paint a bit lighter, it would appear much more blended. The consensus is to give the workshop a chance to rectify it. I do understand that the rework may not even reach 95% (I am not expecting a perfect match by the way, but the bottomline is that the difference should not be too easy to see under different lighting conditions), but it will surely improve as the contrast will be lesser. Well, I intend to give it a shot.

Other workshops may not be able to improve it much as there are other variables such as paint system, clear coat used and layers, etc. Even the concentration of metal flakes in the paint also makes a difference since it will reflect light differently. The new paint has a higher concentration of it compared to my existing paint.

I did learn a lot about car paintjobs as a result of this incident. The workshop manager has been willing to try to resolve the issue and that is commendable. But of course getting it right the first time will save everyone's time.

From business viewpoint, managing expectation is indeed essential, but again we have to call a spade a spade.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

On 2/27/2023 at 1:35 PM, Ct3833 said:

Yah lah, in fact the color from the photo is quite off, the actual color might be worse. Dont be so harsh to others especially new members.

Bro you miss my “humour”….. I am suaning TS! 

come there voice displeased but disappear in hiding until now!!! 🤭

he isn’t new, he join MCF before Covid 19 happen! 😂😂😂 

Edited by D3badge

On 2/27/2023 at 4:13 PM, D3badge said:

Bro you miss my dark humour…. I am suaning TS! 

Hope I have not offended you in any way.

But have I disappeared for very long? There is no KPI for reply speed, right?

Anyway, I welcome constructive feedback and discussions. There is no need to be sarcastic lor.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:13 PM, D3badge said:

Bro you miss my “humour”….. I am suaning TS! 

Haha wah heng, luckily you did not suan me as well, but be kind lah, i so scared of posting here now, any time can get whacked 🤣🤣

On 2/27/2023 at 4:17 PM, bemywife said:

Hope I have not offended you in any way.

But have I disappeared for very long? There is no KPI for reply speed, right?

Anyway, I welcome constructive feedback and discussions. There is no need to be sarcastic lor.

Haha you didn’t, just your status last seem in your profile updated many times and now finally you appear 😁

welcome back 👋🏻👍🏻

• Praise 1

On 2/27/2023 at 4:20 PM, Ct3833 said:

Haha wah heng, luckily you did not suan me as well, but be kind lah, i so scared of posting here now, any time can get whacked 🤣🤣

🤣🤣🤣 just funny Thread Starter start a tread, was in the forum reading all the comments but took so long to re appears so poke fun at all the comments that cause TS MIA lor 

• Haha! 2

@D3badge 

Haha, ok understood. I thought the system will send me an email prompt every time there is a response to my thread, but so far I only received 2-3 such prompts. Hence, I am really surprised to see that there are 4 pages of comments as of today.

I am thankful to get all the useful advice, which helps me to make a more informed decision on the next steps.

I promise to give an update here once the issue has been tackled.

• Praise 3

I think see in real life and see in photo also got difference. Camera lighting and quality got effect too.

Anyway, as long as it is resolved to your satisfaction, what we say here, don't need to take so seriously.

• Praise 2

On 2/27/2023 at 5:10 PM, Benarsenal said:

I think see in real life and see in photo also got difference. Camera lighting and quality got effect too.

Anyway, as long as it is resolved to your satisfaction, what we say here, don't need to take so seriously.

Yes, fully agree. I think in the photos, the issue looks a bit worse than in real life.

I remember seeing in some overseas forums that "once you see it (colour mismatch), it's difficult to un-see it". So gonna get it resolved still.

But now I have to be a bit patient as they can only slot me in next week. After that, I still have to wait a month to redo my paint correction and coating.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, kododrift said:

Kudos to TS for even having the patience to respond to some of the comments here 

Thanks for your kind words. I sensed that some forumers have the expectation that once they gave comments, they expect some kind of reply. I think that's fair as it is basic courtesy. But of course I do differentiate between nasty and constructive comments. I just treat the "not-so-nice" remarks as a form of bantering. No need to make myself more upset than necessary.

• Praise 2

On 2/27/2023 at 3:13 PM, Jamesc said:

No wonder still single 

TS must be very fussy kind.

If top and bottom not same same he not happy!

:D

Don't know how many he check the top and bottom and never reach his high expectations!

You mean top is girl bottom is guy?

• Haha! 1

On 2/27/2023 at 3:31 PM, bemywife said:

Hi brothers and sisters, sorry I took quite a while to respond. By the way, I was not being "frightened" away, but a bit occupied during the weekend.

Appreciate those of you who gave your comments and suggestions. Actually I didn't expect so many replies. Some of you have a wicked humour, and be assured that I don't take offense so easily. The nick of "Bemywife" is just a little joke corresponding to "BMW".

I would like to recap some of the viewpoints given by you guys here:

1. Plastic vs metal

2. Old paint vs new paint

3. Different angles and lighting

4. Managing expectations

Well, I have gotten a few "industry" folks to look at it in person, and although they acknowledged that there is indeed shade difference, they don't think it's too far out. Under carpark lighting, the difference between bumper and bonnet will appear more obvious as compared to under natural lighting.

One of them advised that if the same workshop can mix the paint a bit lighter, it would appear much more blended. The consensus is to give the workshop a chance to rectify it. I do understand that the rework may not even reach 95% (I am not expecting a perfect match by the way, but the bottomline is that the difference should not be too easy to see under different lighting conditions), but it will surely improve as the contrast will be lesser. Well, I intend to give it a shot.

Other workshops may not be able to improve it much as there are other variables such as paint system, clear coat used and layers, etc. Even the concentration of metal flakes in the paint also makes a difference since it will reflect light differently. The new paint has a higher concentration of it compared to my existing paint.

I did learn a lot about car paintjobs as a result of this incident. The workshop manager has been willing to try to resolve the issue and that is commendable. But of course getting it right the first time will save everyone's time.

From business viewpoint, managing expectation is indeed essential, but again we have to call a spade a spade.

Glad you had it sorted out, the color is off for sure, i wont accept that too. Did you respray your car before ? If you did, that may explain why the  color was off by so much even when the guy was following tje VIN color code.  

On 2/27/2023 at 5:57 PM, Ct3833 said:

Glad you had it sorted out, the color is off for sure, i wont accept that too. Did you respray your car before ? If you did, that may explain why the  color was off by so much even when the guy was following tje VIN color code.  

Yes, my bonnet was painted last year. But I believe if they had tested some different shades of the same paint code before applying, the difference would be much less obvious. In some countries, painters use spectrophotometer to get the closest colour match. Here, workshops rely mostly on eye power. I think a very experienced painter will be able to use his best judgment to match well. I won’t say it’s easy, but it’s definitely doable. The workshop manager mentioned that he will adjust the paint mix himself this round.

• Praise 3

Glad the paint shop willing to take responsibility and try to match again. At least give them a honest 2nd chance. 

There is a slight difference from looking at the photo but frankly, some of the comments here are reasonable, plausible and not without merits. 

It is good that this journey enabled you to pick up first hand knowledge and learn how to differentiate a good paintwork vs a shoddy one. 

A bro shared about Revol which I personally endorsed as a professional and fussy merchant. Of course, they may cost more but at least you get your money's worth. Not related to the business or anything there ya. 

Do update us here. All the best. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 4

On 2/26/2023 at 3:00 PM, ER-3682 said:

Bumper new Paint & Bonnet is old Paint,sometime very difficult to get the same Shade..except you spray the Whole Car.

Yes its exactly due to that.  

On 2/27/2023 at 10:49 PM, PSP415 said:

Glad the paint shop willing to take responsibility and try to match again. At least give them a honest 2nd chance. 

There is a slight difference from looking at the photo but frankly, some of the comments here are reasonable, plausible and not without merits. 

It is good that this journey enabled you to pick up first hand knowledge and learn how to differentiate a good paintwork vs a shoddy one. 

A bro shared about Revol which I personally endorsed as a professional and fussy merchant. Of course, they may cost more but at least you get your money's worth. Not related to the business or anything there ya. 

Do update us here. All the best. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

I approached revol too, but they advised that the original workshop should be asked to rectify it and that I shouldn’t be made to spend extra.

• Praise 2

On 2/27/2023 at 11:03 PM, Throttle2 said:

Yes its exactly due to that.  

My bonnet paint is about 6 months old, and I park mostly under shelter, so any fading should not be so noticeable yet. Perhaps different brands of paint and clear coat also have an impact, not sure.

agree that spraying whole car is a better way to achieve more consistency, although also not 100%.

I think the key here is that some efforts must be made to colour match. Each paint code does allow for varying the tint.

↡ Advertisement