Dow said it was recycling our shoes. We found them at an Indonesian flea market

Kb27

I have exported a couple of shoes to Indonesia too. 

Waiting for  ActiveSg to make a statement as it was from their website I saw the donation drive and decided to export my shoes.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

On 2/27/2023 at 1:53 PM, Kb27 said:

Dow said it was recycling our shoes. We found them at an Indonesian flea market

U.S. petrochemicals giant Dow Inc and the Singapore government said they were transforming old sneakers into playgrounds and running tracks. Reuters put that promise to the test by planting hidden trackers inside 11 pairs of donated shoes. Most got exported instead.

At a rundown market on the Indonesian island of Batam, a small location tracker was beeping from the back of a crumbling second-hand shoe store. A Reuters reporter followed the high-pitched ping to a mound of old sneakers and began digging through the pile.

There they were: a pair of blue Nike running shoes with a tracking device hidden in one of the soles.

These familiar shoes had traveled by land, then sea and crossed an international border to end up in this heap. They weren’t supposed to be here.

Five months earlier, in July 2022, Reuters had given the shoes to a recycling program spearheaded by the Singapore government and U.S. petrochemicals giant Dow Inc. In media releases and a promotional video posted online, that effort promised to harvest the rubberized soles and midsoles of donated shoes, then grind down the material for use in building new playgrounds and running tracks in Singapore.

Dow, a major producer of chemicals used to make plastics and other synthetic materials, in the past has launched recycling efforts that have fallen short of their stated aims. Reuters wanted to follow a donated shoe from start to finish to see if it did, in fact, end up in new athletic surfaces in Singapore, or at least made it as far as a local recycling facility for shredding.

To that end, the news organization cut a shallow cavity into the interior sole of one of the blue Nikes, placed a Bluetooth tracker inside, then concealed the device by covering it with the insole. The tracker was synched to a smartphone app that showed where the shoe moved in real time.

Within weeks, the blue Nikes had left the prosperous city-state and were moving south by sea across the narrow Singapore Strait to Batam island, the app showed. Reuters decided to put trackers in an additional 10 pairs of donated shoes to see if wayward pair No. 1 had been a fluke.

It wasn’t.

None of the 11 pairs of footwear donated by Reuters were turned into exercise paths or kids’ parks in Singapore.

Instead, nearly all the tagged shoes ended up in the hands of Yok Impex Pte Ltd, a Singaporean second-hand goods exporter, according to the trackers and that exporter’s logistics manager. The manager said his firm had been hired by a waste management company involved in the recycling program to retrieve shoes from the donation bins for delivery to that company’s local warehouse.

But that’s not what happened to the shoes donated by Reuters. Ten pairs moved first from the donation bins to the exporter’s facility, then on to neighboring Indonesia, in some cases traveling hundreds of miles to different corners of the vast archipelago, the location trackers showed.

plastic_shoes_22.JPG

Match the face contest 

https://www.cleanenvirosummit.gov.sg/cesg-2022/speakers/Detail/paul-fong

• Haha! 2

my friend always ask xmm syt to recycle and donate their pre-owned lingerie for the less fortunate

he's really a green guy 

take in soiled or worn also can 

dun noe can get bbm pbm bo 🙊🙉🙈 

Let's reuse reduce and recycle 👏👏👏

• Haha! 11

On 2/27/2023 at 3:13 PM, Beehive3783 said:

This is exactly why recycling in Singapore is a scam. Blue bins is another scam. Even if recyclable materials are disposed in them, only those of value are chosen for export and the rest are incinerated. 

The blue bin because people anyhow throw, then contaminate the recyclables.

Not everything can be recycled.  

• Praise 3

On 2/27/2023 at 3:13 PM, Beehive3783 said:

This is exactly why recycling in Singapore is a scam. Blue bins is another scam. Even if recyclable materials are disposed in them, only those of value are chosen for export and the rest are incinerated. 

Depends to individual… I have seen auntie looking through the recycling bin in my condo few times 😭😂 always wonder not shy meh when neighbours spot you !

On 2/27/2023 at 4:37 PM, Inlinefour said:

my friend always ask xmm syt to recycle and donate their pre-owned lingerie for the less fortunate

he's really a green guy 

my friend say your friend should consider taking in female exercise gear too, eg FBT shorts, lululemon tights, exercise towels etc. one dragon service for the ladies to be eco and green. 

• Haha! 5

On 2/27/2023 at 4:37 PM, Inlinefour said:

he's really a green guy 

I suspect your friend is also in the massage and used car biz.... 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

On 2/27/2023 at 6:43 PM, Blueray said:

my friend say your friend should consider taking in female exercise gear too, eg FBT shorts, lululemon tights, exercise towels etc. one dragon service for the ladies to be eco and green. 

thanks for your valuable feedback 

will ask him to do that 🤩🤩🤩

On 2/27/2023 at 6:54 PM, Volvobrick said:

I suspect your friend is also in the massage and used car biz.... 

please don’t let the pussy out of the panty 🤐🤐🤐

• Haha! 2

On 2/27/2023 at 3:08 PM, Jamesc said:

If want to tell the whole world going green and recycling then please really do it!

Like this company.

:D

image.png.2a2b45a9832c30c074db31e93b887b01.png

This one good grip. GY F1.

image.png.8c67747365950ffe44c9bfe0a04fd5b2.png

image.png.021f926d7b26f0ab3870d00359fa88cb.png

image.png.bbbb49a5f9d7fbeb15dd586a5dcf0613.png

This one really recycling old sport shoes

Won't lose grip in the wet!

image.png.5c066952aad623a03b8f551c2b9eda8b.png

This type of Tyre Sole is used by my Late Grandfather making Leather Shoes in the 50's,His Company finally closed down in the 70's because cannot make a profit,His Shoes have 3 Years unlimited Mileage Warranty,Repair for Free,that is why my Father refused to take over the Business & set up Hardware Business instead.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

This is no different from not taking accountability and responsibilities. 

Is there no audit of the process? Nobody QC and follow up on the works? No one police the project?

All because the source is free from the public? 

Will this happen if they collect shoes from Mindef, SCDF and police? 

Actually I am totally ok with sorting out shoes in good conditions, and only use those in real bad shape in the project.  The good ones can be donated to the needy instead since there are still good life in them. 

But in the name of whatever, and selling the products overseas, is totally unacceptable.  

I think I should throw the cans I recycle to them instead from now. -_-[laugh][laugh]

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 2

On 2/27/2023 at 7:24 PM, Tianmo said:

This is no different from not taking accountability and responsibilities. 

Is there no audit of the process? Nobody QC and follow up on the works? No one police the project?

All because the source is free from the public? 

Will this happen if they collect shoes from Mindef, SCDF and police? 

Actually I am totally ok with sorting out shoes in good conditions, and only use those in real bad shape in the project.  The good ones can be donated to the needy instead since there are still good life in them. 

But in the name of whatever, and selling the products overseas, is totally unacceptable.  

I think I should throw the cans I recycle to them instead from now. -_-[laugh][laugh]

Boss ….. Cans can recycle …. Metals is easy process …. Only plastics is damn Lecheh especially with PVC , PE can but the products don’t come out good …. Can use for some cheap construction industry like pails , pipes …. All very complicated and also need lotsa energy too to extrude again 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2