Chain Collision Car Accident - Workshop Advise

Dear MCF members, hope everyone is doing well. 

would like to seek your expertise pertaining to my 3 car chain collision which occurred recently. I was rear ended and have F/R footage to demonstrate it was the car behind me 100% at fault which push me to collide with the front car. The 1st car also agreed and had same consensus to claim the last car.

TP arrived as there was injured passenger in the 3rd car and ambulance arrived to ferry driver & passenger to hospital. I suffered minor injuries but did not require immediate attention. 

As of today, I had made police report online and awarded 5 day MC. Hence will claim injuries against the 3rd car by lawyer firm and already signed warrant to act on my behalf. 

The stressful part now is regarding my car which based on my gut feeling is beyond repair as there was damages to rear and front of my car. 

My car was towed to a workshop which is a reporting centre but is not listed in my car insurance workshop and my car insurance never cover any workshop options. This workshop was introduced by my friend as I was unable to get thru my insurance company hotline during the accident as I was complete shocked.

The car damages will claim 3rd party and the surveyors from the 3rd. add has came to the workshop to take photo and assess the damage. The boss updated me today and mentioned he will try to repair the car using simple parts. 

My car left 1yr 2mths, the current paper value is about 13.5K and I checked Sgcarmart same make n model is about 21.0k. I am wondering if the total repair cost is 30K, it should not be economical to repair and 3rd party can just declared total loss and compensate market value. 

One key thing here is the boss mentioned he would like to buy my car at about 14.5K and help me claim loss of use for about 21-28 days.  The rest of the repair cost  he will ownself settle the repair, etc.

I saw the GIA report from 3rd car which show that he is trying to deny any fault. In addition, when I call my own car insurance company, they say they can’t find any accident reported for my car. Not sure if the CSO is trying to smoke me. 

please provide your positive response for my situation and if this workshop trustable?

I am comfortable  to scrap the car and take back market value and buy another car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

On 3/8/2023 at 2:24 AM, silvershield said:

when I call my own car insurance company, they say they can’t find any accident reported for my car. Not sure if the CSO is trying to smoke me. 

please provide your positive response for my situation and if this workshop trustable?

It's difficult to access and provide any positive or negative response just based on a few words. Some pictures of your car, the condition of the workshop etc. all plays a part in judging if a place is trustable or not.

That said, I'm not suggesting you to start posting pictures and names of workshop here. While I'm sure many people in MCF can provide good advice, I suggest you work closely with your insurance company to get this settled properly (officially, legally).

Explain the situation again slowly to them if necessary. And even if they cannot find any accident reported for your car, since you said you have the accident footage, the insurance company can handle from there. 

• Praise 1

(edited)

Read your own policy and what it advises you to do during an accident. One of the things is not to admit fault under any circumstances.

So the last car is going through the same playbook. Don’t be bothered by it. Whether you want to scrap or sell the car, make sure what you get back as market value also makes you even for getting another car. There are expenses involved, such as clearing your loan (if you still have one) as well as buying another car in this high COE climate.

You’ve done your checking and don’t you find that the workshop is lowballing you? The offer is for a damaged car, sure, but repair is being claimed from a 3rd party yet he’s offering you a mere 1k over what LTA will pay to you for scrapping it. The offer should be close to that of market.

Let me guess: a Volkswagen?

Edited by Macrosszero

On 3/8/2023 at 5:29 AM, Ishiwgao said:

It's difficult to access and provide any positive or negative response just based on a few words. Some pictures of your car, the condition of the workshop etc. all plays a part in judging if a place is trustable or not.

That said, I'm not suggesting you to start posting pictures and names of workshop here. While I'm sure many people in MCF can provide good advice, I suggest you work closely with your insurance company to get this settled properly (officially, legally).

Explain the situation again slowly to them if necessary. And even if they cannot find any accident reported for your car, since you said you have the accident footage, the insurance company can handle from there. 

However I do have my own GIA report done by the workshop. Hence, I do not need to make another reporting thru my own issuance. Is this the common understanding  

On 3/8/2023 at 8:32 AM, Macrosszero said:

Read your own policy and what it advises you to do during an accident. One of the things is not to admit fault under any circumstances.

So the last car is going through the same playbook. Don’t be bothered by it. Whether you want to scrap or sell the car, make sure what you get back as market value also makes you even for getting another car. There are expenses involved, such as clearing your loan (if you still have one) as well as buying another car in this high COE climate.

You’ve done your checking and don’t you find that the workshop is lowballing you? The offer is for a damaged car, sure, but repair is being claimed from a 3rd party yet he’s offering you a mere 1k over what LTA will pay to you for scrapping it. The offer should be close to that of market.

I also feel is very low offered thou is damaged car, but the repairs money workshop will claim from 3rd to repair. So workshop sure earn by make up the repairs. 

but I not sure wether  the last car has admit his liability so that repair money can be claim from 3rd party. 

I not sure how much is the 3rd claim limit for repair on my car. But any difference how will workshop handle ? Fork out own pocket money ? The boss say my car got only 7k repair money to play with.  He use market value minus my paper value. 

i will repair it under insurance, claim lost of use and injuries, then sold it off 1 mth later.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator

If your repair is above your market value now, most slightly the insurer will not go ahead with the repair. 

Does your insurance allows you to use your own workshop or must go to the appointed one? 

And I think you also haven submit an accident report to your insurer, don't drag on the paperwork. 

On 3/8/2023 at 9:07 AM, Alg said:

i will repair it under insurance, claim lost of use and injuries, then sold it off 1 mth later.

Unlikely because the repair seems to be higher that the market value. But the workshop say they want to repair and claim 3rd party. 

On 3/8/2023 at 9:07 AM, kobayashiGT said:

If your repair is above your market value now, most slightly the insurer will not go ahead with the repair. 

Does your insurance allows you to use your own workshop or must go to the appointed one? 

And I think you also haven submit an accident report to your insurer, don't drag on the paperwork. 

Yes if repair more then market value sure declared total loss. My insurance only can appointed workshop because I never buy the any workshop options. 

I just submitted the GIA report done by the workshop to my insurance company to check if there are aware of the accidents and what are the options. 

if claim OD, at least can get back market value just that need pay excess and risk of next time premium go up. 

• Praise 1

(edited)
On 3/8/2023 at 9:36 AM, silvershield said:

Unlikely because the repair seems to be higher that the market value. But the workshop say they want to repair and claim 3rd party. 

You will be surprised how workshop able to repair until swee swee (externally, internally all re-con parts) at really low budget, that why workshop wants to buy over from you mah.............

Edited by Alg
  • Praise 3

(edited)
On 3/8/2023 at 1:24 AM, silvershield said:

would like to seek your expertise pertaining to my 3 car chain collision which occurred recently. I was rear ended and have F/R footage to demonstrate it was the car behind me 100% at fault which push me to collide with the front car. The 1st car also agreed and had same consensus to claim the last car.

TP arrived as there was injured passenger in the 3rd car and ambulance arrived to ferry driver & passenger to hospital. I suffered minor injuries but did not require immediate attention. 

As of today, I had made police report online and awarded 5 day MC. Hence will claim injuries against the 3rd car by lawyer firm and already signed warrant to act on my behalf. 

The stressful part now is regarding my car which based on my gut feeling is beyond repair as there was damages to rear and front of my car. 

My car was towed to a workshop which is a reporting centre but is not listed in my car insurance workshop and my car insurance never cover any workshop options. This workshop was introduced by my friend as I was unable to get thru my insurance company hotline during the accident as I was complete shocked.

The car damages will claim 3rd party and the surveyors from the 3rd. add has came to the workshop to take photo and assess the damage. The boss updated me today and mentioned he will try to repair the car using simple parts. 

My car left 1yr 2mths, the current paper value is about 13.5K and I checked Sgcarmart same make n model is about 21.0k. I am wondering if the total repair cost is 30K, it should not be economical to repair and 3rd party can just declared total loss and compensate market value. 

One key thing here is the boss mentioned he would like to buy my car at about 14.5K and help me claim loss of use for about 21-28 days.  The rest of the repair cost  he will ownself settle the repair, etc.

I saw the GIA report from 3rd car which show that he is trying to deny any fault. In addition, when I call my own car insurance company, they say they can’t find any accident reported for my car. Not sure if the CSO is trying to smoke me. 

I am comfortable  to scrap the car and take back market value and buy another car.

Accident on the move or stationary?  If on the move, front claim you, you claim the back. If stationary, all claim from the back. 

A few things you want to consider, 

what you see selling on Sgcarmart is an asking price, not market value or the price your car can sell for.  If asking price is 21k, likely dealer taking in between 15-16K. 

Car left 14 months, likely market value is paper value, in this case 13.5K.

Every industry has their own way of making money, we just have to make sure we get a just deal within the market , how much who and who can make out of it is really their problem.  How long will the repair and the whole process going to take? meanwhile how do you commute? 

If can bargain for a little more from the WS, and cfm he can claim at least 21 days of lost of use (which can come maybe close to 2k?), I would consider. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 2

On 3/8/2023 at 10:53 AM, Tianmo said:

Accident on the move or stationary?  If on the move, front claim you, you claim the back. If stationary, all claim from the back. 

A few things you want to consider, 

what you see selling on Sgcarmart is an asking price, not market value or the price your car can sell for.  If asking price is 21k, likely dealer taking in between 15-16K. 

Car left 14 months, likely market value is paper value, in this case 13.5K.

Every industry has their own way of making money, we just have to make sure we get a just deal within the market , how much who and who can make out of it is really their problem.  How long will the repair and the whole process going to take? meanwhile how do you commute? 

If can bargain for a little more from the WS, and cfm he can claim at least 21 days of lost of use (which can come maybe close to 2k?), I would consider. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Was about to stop but behind car never stop so push me to the front. 

I check one motorist my car if no accident can sell of to dealer at 17,600 as of today. I ask him help push 3rd party to claim more and claim loss of use daily. He say he can ask from dell 3rd party. 

I think he will repair the car then extend coe sell the car later part. 

Barometer of Liability (BOLA) scenario #28.

See attached picture.

You can try everything under the sun, everybody can try until the cows come home but BOLA will apply. Case closed.

Moral of the story: Just maintain safe distance between front car and yourself.

Capture.JPG

• Praise 5

Internal Moderator
On 3/8/2023 at 9:39 AM, silvershield said:

Yes if repair more then market value sure declared total loss. My insurance only can appointed workshop because I never buy the any workshop options. 

I just submitted the GIA report done by the workshop to my insurance company to check if there are aware of the accidents and what are the options. 

if claim OD, at least can get back market value just that need pay excess and risk of next time premium go up. 

You can use our insurance quote to check on the rates. 🙂 

https://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?app=motorinsurance

On 3/8/2023 at 12:21 PM, Shoebox said:

Barometer of Liability (BOLA) scenario #28.

See attached picture.

You can try everything under the sun, everybody can try until the cows come home but BOLA will apply. Case closed.

Moral of the story: Just maintain safe distance between front car and yourself.

Capture.JPG

My front cam show I am 3 car length away from front car and apply brake very early. So comfrim never touch front car if behind never push me. 

Turbocharged

by the way, insurer cannot force u to scrap

last time my old car still got 6 months till COE expiry, and was banged from behind

the insurer tried to make me agree to scrap, but i refused, stating that i would renew my COE

in the end repaired swee swee, but i decided to scrap it at the end of the day 🤣

• Haha! 3

Supercharged
On 3/8/2023 at 1:24 AM, silvershield said:

Most important is to cooperate with your insurer, NOT your friend lobang workshop.

Ask insurer, if they prefer to work with their authorized workshop because of your specific plan, then please just tow your car over.

I not involve in this accident in case anyone misunderstand. Just curious.

Just check my policy that my insurer will only pay up to prevailing market value of the car. So that means if repair cost is higher than the market value like in the TS case, I have to foot the remaining cost if I claiming OD? But if I am claiming from the car who rear end me and he is proven to be liable, would that be possible or still up to the prevailing market value?

↡ Advertisement