Chain Collision Car Accident - Workshop Advise

(edited)
On 3/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, Macrosszero said:

I don’t know if it is true but I get the feeling that if I went with authorised workshops my repair would go to the lowest bidder, whereas my choice of workshop is the workshop that would repair the car based on the damage assessed, and not to a budget.

With authorized workshop policies, you still get to choose where to send for repairs lah. Just that your preferred workshop might not be on the list so you have to do some homework to decide if you can accept the choices. And sometimes bopian you have to choose Any workshop policies to keep the car warranty.

For my wife's car that went through insurance renewal recently, save abit to get a policy with authorized workshops as my PI appointed workshop is listed under the authorized workshop listing. So save about $150 a few hundred dollars  in the process haha. Just checked the transaction and realised that the difference could be as much as $400! Lucky for you if your appointed workshop is MBM Wheelpower, at least Liberty and Tokio Marine have it under their authorised workshop listing so you no need to pay more to get Any workshop policies if insuring with either of them.

Edited by Heartlander
↡ Advertisement

On 3/8/2023 at 1:24 AM, silvershield said:

Dear MCF members, hope everyone is doing well. 

would like to seek your expertise pertaining to my 3 car chain collision which occurred recently. I was rear ended and have F/R footage to demonstrate it was the car behind me 100% at fault which push me to collide with the front car. The 1st car also agreed and had same consensus to claim the last car.

TP arrived as there was injured passenger in the 3rd car and ambulance arrived to ferry driver & passenger to hospital. I suffered minor injuries but did not require immediate attention. 

As of today, I had made police report online and awarded 5 day MC. Hence will claim injuries against the 3rd car by lawyer firm and already signed warrant to act on my behalf. 

The stressful part now is regarding my car which based on my gut feeling is beyond repair as there was damages to rear and front of my car. 

My car was towed to a workshop which is a reporting centre but is not listed in my car insurance workshop and my car insurance never cover any workshop options. This workshop was introduced by my friend as I was unable to get thru my insurance company hotline during the accident as I was complete shocked.

The car damages will claim 3rd party and the surveyors from the 3rd. add has came to the workshop to take photo and assess the damage. The boss updated me today and mentioned he will try to repair the car using simple parts. 

My car left 1yr 2mths, the current paper value is about 13.5K and I checked Sgcarmart same make n model is about 21.0k. I am wondering if the total repair cost is 30K, it should not be economical to repair and 3rd party can just declared total loss and compensate market value. 

One key thing here is the boss mentioned he would like to buy my car at about 14.5K and help me claim loss of use for about 21-28 days.  The rest of the repair cost  he will ownself settle the repair, etc.

I saw the GIA report from 3rd car which show that he is trying to deny any fault. In addition, when I call my own car insurance company, they say they can’t find any accident reported for my car. Not sure if the CSO is trying to smoke me. 

please provide your positive response for my situation and if this workshop trustable?

I am comfortable  to scrap the car and take back market value and buy another car.

The key point is that ws u go to will claim 3rd party against the opposite party, and the most important thing is do u need to pay any repair fees upfront? Then after the claim completed then they refund u. 

If this is the case, better reject.

If u dun need pay any thing up front, they will repair and claim , then its ok.

The ws offer to buy. Cos rear ended case is 100% win. Just that might drag, esp old car.

If i am u.  I will take up the offer to buy over the car, let all the ws handle the rest and u move on.

All this ia provided u dun need to pay a single cents before and after.

• Praise 2

(edited)
On 3/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, Macrosszero said:

I don’t know if it is true but I get the feeling that if I went with authorised workshops my repair would go to the lowest bidder, whereas my choice of workshop is the workshop that would repair the car based on the damage assessed, and not to a budget.

i dont know, but i guess may not be. 

Technically which ever WS you choose, the Insurance surveyors will have to audit the damage first, and agree to the repair quote before the WS can start work.  You can actually send to any authorized WS and do your claim there if I am not wrong. I was with Aviva once, and they have an authorized WS in jurong near me, and I went there to check for repair, end up i did not repair but sold the car as it was. 

To become authorized WS, I think need to go through some audit, and fit their requirement, cost effective and long payment term, but gets repair businesses in return lor. 

So now I always choose any WS, cost a little more, but more flexible. I can choose to use the one that will settle everything for me, no need I pay first, and can give me a little goodies, how they want to work it out or much much they can make from it,  I dont care. [:p][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 3

On 3/8/2023 at 1:24 AM, silvershield said:

Dear MCF members, hope everyone is doing well. 

would like to seek your expertise pertaining to my 3 car chain collision which occurred recently. I was rear ended and have F/R footage to demonstrate it was the car behind me 100% at fault which push me to collide with the front car. The 1st car also agreed and had same consensus to claim the last car.

TP arrived as there was injured passenger in the 3rd car and ambulance arrived to ferry driver & passenger to hospital. I suffered minor injuries but did not require immediate attention. 

As of today, I had made police report online and awarded 5 day MC. Hence will claim injuries against the 3rd car by lawyer firm and already signed warrant to act on my behalf. 

The stressful part now is regarding my car which based on my gut feeling is beyond repair as there was damages to rear and front of my car. 

My car was towed to a workshop which is a reporting centre but is not listed in my car insurance workshop and my car insurance never cover any workshop options. This workshop was introduced by my friend as I was unable to get thru my insurance company hotline during the accident as I was complete shocked.

The car damages will claim 3rd party and the surveyors from the 3rd. add has came to the workshop to take photo and assess the damage. The boss updated me today and mentioned he will try to repair the car using simple parts. 

My car left 1yr 2mths, the current paper value is about 13.5K and I checked Sgcarmart same make n model is about 21.0k. I am wondering if the total repair cost is 30K, it should not be economical to repair and 3rd party can just declared total loss and compensate market value. 

One key thing here is the boss mentioned he would like to buy my car at about 14.5K and help me claim loss of use for about 21-28 days.  The rest of the repair cost  he will ownself settle the repair, etc.

I saw the GIA report from 3rd car which show that he is trying to deny any fault. In addition, when I call my own car insurance company, they say they can’t find any accident reported for my car. Not sure if the CSO is trying to smoke me. 

please provide your positive response for my situation and if this workshop trustable?

I am comfortable  to scrap the car and take back market value and buy another car.

My RM2.00 point of view and some from personal experience:

1. Nothing wrong to tow to 3rd party workshop not listed in your insurance policy, if you are claiming from the car behind you.

2. However, you MUST file an accident report at your insurer's authorised accident reporting centre, even if you are not claiming against your own policy. This is to ensure that your insurer has you covered when the car in front of you starts 3rd party claims against you. Now that your insurer says that they do not have records of your vehicle being in an accident, they will repudiate your policy and the party claiming against you will go after you directly.

3. Beyond economical repair and pay up to market rate, it's all up to how much homework the workshop did before submitting any claims to the 3rd party's insurer. I know of some workshops will print out the prices of similar make/model/year reg vehicles on SGcarmart on the day of the accident, for records purposes and also to gauge how much to claim before the 3rd party insurer chooses to pay up to market value instead of agreeing to the repairs.

4. IF you are driving a renewed COE car, there is only a certain limit for repair claims before the 3rd party insurer decides to pay that limit instead. 

I think you have to find out more from your repair workshop and see what their plan is for your case.

• Praise 2

On 3/8/2023 at 3:37 PM, Jellandross said:

Firstly, you must report to your insurer regardless which workshop the car was towed to afterwards. They will advise you on the next steps.

Secondly, it sounds like you're making alot of assumptions and decisions without your insurer's involvement. You may get in trouble if other parties were to claim from you and your insurer is not engaged.

Lastly, it's not "everybody claim from last car". It's 1st car claim from 2nd, and 2nd car claim from 3rd and so on. Again, your insurer will know who to claim from. Chain collision is one of the simplest case from a liability perspective.

Worst case scenario: his insurer repudiates his policy and he is left high and dry. The front vehicle workshop lawyer will go after him directly.

On 3/8/2023 at 4:53 PM, Hubwee said:

Not sure if your car got camera or not cos it does makes alot of difference if your car had come to a complete stop then car behind rear ended your car and that causes your car to rear end the front car . 

If your car had not come to a complete stop , and car behind already rear ended you , tough luck to you then cos think front car will claim from you lo ... 

The important part is , go view your car footage if you have 1 , complete stop meaning your car not moving at all hor . crawling speed to stop is not a complete stop hor ... cos if its not a complete stop , you will be considered as not keeping a safe distance to the front car ... 

On 3/8/2023 at 4:59 PM, t0y0ta said:

As another bro has mentioned, since you hit another car backside this is not going to be a simple case where you and your insurer have no liability.

My thoughts are that if you do not follow strictly the insurer t&c including authorized workshop, they may even void your insurance and then the front car insurer will sue you directly for civil damages.

I wouldn't want to take this type of risks bro, no matter how remote. Never give insurance company any excuse to say you are not following the contract.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:03 PM, Shoebox said:

Yes, you can try to talk until the cows come home, BOLA will still apply. I agree 3 car length away still buang is very suay, but BOLA is the guideline used by all insurers. You can try to fight, you can try to go court, you can try to do and say this and that, but in the end, you will just waste your time and money only.

Hard truths. Takes some time to swallow. Slowly go talk and you try to ngiam the lawyers then you will come to accept, or see the cost to fight and still lose, then still give up.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:25 PM, Tianmo said:

Yes, car in motion (regardless of  speed) and car stationary is totally different. This one not hearsay, I was involved in one. 

Many years back, i had one incident, 3 cars stopped at the traffic light, I was the 2rd car, one in front, one behind. One lorry came without stopping and caused a chain accident.  All 3 cars claim against him, I drove to my WS and did the claim paper work, got a replacement car, repair the car and WS gave my car a  free servicing and grooming. Insurance not affected.

If car still in motion, yes, 1 claim 2, 2 claim 3...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

I already view my front and rear camera I already stop completely and then the rear hit me with a huge impact that caused my car to surge forward. Hence, hitting front car. 

my friend working in law firm told me in Singapore context for my chain collision. No matter what is 1 claim 2nd then I claim behind. That’s the standard rule. 

On 3/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, Beregond said:

The key point is that ws u go to will claim 3rd party against the opposite party, and the most important thing is do u need to pay any repair fees upfront? Then after the claim completed then they refund u. 

If this is the case, better reject.

If u dun need pay any thing up front, they will repair and claim , then its ok.

The ws offer to buy. Cos rear ended case is 100% win. Just that might drag, esp old car.

If i am u.  I will take up the offer to buy over the car, let all the ws handle the rest and u move on.

All this ia provided u dun need to pay a single cents before and after.

WS proposed a few options but the boss say want to buy over my car no need fork any money up front for any repairs. Just that I feel the amount he offered can be more so I ask him try and talk to surveyor to increase the repair limit. He mentioned 3rd party survey my car damage only left with 7k money to repair my car. So he will fork out the extra to repair the car cheaply and the car will be like rental car. 

my car in sg car mart is 21k selling. 
paper about 13.5K. So by right not enough money to repair also. 7k. Unless they tell them this car will extend COE to ask for more. 

• Praise 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:53 PM, Beehive3783 said:

My RM2.00 point of view and some from personal experience:

1. Nothing wrong to tow to 3rd party workshop not listed in your insurance policy, if you are claiming from the car behind you.

2. However, you MUST file an accident report at your insurer's authorised accident reporting centre, even if you are not claiming against your own policy. This is to ensure that your insurer has you covered when the car in front of you starts 3rd party claims against you. Now that your insurer says that they do not have records of your vehicle being in an accident, they will repudiate your policy and the party claiming against you will go after you directly.

3. Beyond economical repair and pay up to market rate, it's all up to how much homework the workshop did before submitting any claims to the 3rd party's insurer. I know of some workshops will print out the prices of similar make/model/year reg vehicles on SGcarmart on the day of the accident, for records purposes and also to gauge how much to claim before the 3rd party insurer chooses to pay up to market value instead of agreeing to the repairs.

4. IF you are driving a renewed COE car, there is only a certain limit for repair claims before the 3rd party insurer decides to pay that limit instead. 

I think you have to find out more from your repair workshop and see what their plan is for your case.

So this week a lady from my insurance called me after I send the email and gia report to the claims department. Previously was customer service girl who know nuts about car. 

this lady was very nice and advise me very well. 

1. she say she is aware of my car accident because the 1st car has started to claim under my Insurance and already saw the gia report ago. So meaning my insurance is aware of accident and she know I claim 3rd party WS. 

2. she mentioned actually is okay for me to go 3rd party and claim the rear guy. 

3. another way will be I claim OD but need pay excess and next year my premium will go up.  She say is better I go 3rd party and dun use my insurance to claim OD. 

4. She say the boss want to buy my car is consider under table buy over. Is up to me to see how much I want the WS to pay me for my car. Nothing wrong since they will ownself repair the car n so whatever to the car next time. She also say the WS know is sure win case so offered me to buy my car .  

lastly, she say all these very common, she was working at workshop before joining this car insurance company  at claims department . 

after the car the next day she email to say she acknowledge I will claim 3rd party  instead of OD. 

• Praise 1

Guys, please advise if I proceed to sell my car to the workshop, anything I must aware? 

before transfer using one motoring make sure I received money first ? Paynow the amount then transfer plus do paperwork like sell car to direct buyers. Correct ? 

my car still got loan about 7k, I should clear it so I can transfer  to the boss  but the boss say he can help settle my car loan. 

Other than the car, the boss say will claim loss of use of my car for 21 days. 

Twincharged
On 3/10/2023 at 11:14 PM, silvershield said:

Guys, please advise if I proceed to sell my car to the workshop, anything I must aware? 

before transfer using one motoring make sure I received money first ? Paynow the amount then transfer plus do paperwork like sell car to direct buyers. Correct ? 

my car still got loan about 7k, I should clear it so I can transfer  to the boss  but the boss say he can help settle my car loan. 

Other than the car, the boss say will claim loss of use of my car for 21 days. 

You need to be aware of all the say this and say that. All you need is for them to show you the money. Since it’s 21days. Just get him to to pay you the money up front. So confident to get 21 days then just pay it with the price of the car as a lump sum. You do want to get all the money at one go and have nothing else to do with the workshop. 
be careful of empty promises. Money talks. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 6

On 3/11/2023 at 6:45 AM, Mkl22 said:

You need to be aware of all the say this and say that. All you need is for them to show you the money. Since it’s 21days. Just get him to to pay you the money up front. So confident to get 21 days then just pay it with the price of the car as a lump sum. You do want to get all the money at one go and have nothing else to do with the workshop. 
be careful of empty promises. Money talks. 

even they so confident i doubt they will pay upfront.. they need liquidity and will come out with cock stories not to pay upfront..

my experience with my COEd Swift accident showed that alot of behind dealing de.. insurance pay lump sum to repair but up to workshop to source for used part to repair.. a dollar saved is a dollar earned for them.. the insurance (not the workshop) i with pay upfront for lost of used.. steady pom pi pi.. no question asked..

for me i take money even slightly below market as the repair may be shady... many headache follow..

028F28DC-AA30-4F66-B748-D8960A3D6CB9.jpeg

Edited by Ody_2004
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged

This was some time back but acquaintance negotiated for ntuc to pay him a lump sum and he fixed the car in jb. He go into an accident in Malaysia and the car wasn’t drivable back.
if one can somehow negotiate a lump sum. Then take the money and scrap the car. Since the workshop isn’t paying much more that the paper value of the car.   

On 3/10/2023 at 11:09 PM, silvershield said:

So this week a lady from my insurance called me after I send the email and gia report to the claims department. Previously was customer service girl who know nuts about car. 

this lady was very nice and advise me very well. 

1. she say she is aware of my car accident because the 1st car has started to claim under my Insurance and already saw the gia report ago. So meaning my insurance is aware of accident and she know I claim 3rd party WS. 

2. she mentioned actually is okay for me to go 3rd party and claim the rear guy. 

3. another way will be I claim OD but need pay excess and next year my premium will go up.  She say is better I go 3rd party and dun use my insurance to claim OD. 

4. She say the boss want to buy my car is consider under table buy over. Is up to me to see how much I want the WS to pay me for my car. Nothing wrong since they will ownself repair the car n so whatever to the car next time. She also say the WS know is sure win case so offered me to buy my car .  

lastly, she say all these very common, she was working at workshop before joining this car insurance company  at claims department . 

after the car the next day she email to say she acknowledge I will claim 3rd party  instead of OD. 

Yes, you claim behind 3rd party, in front claim your insurance. Even if you don't claim OD, your NCD will still take a hit (less 20%) and probably premium will also go up due to other party claiming you.

Actually by right, you are supposed to make a report to your insurance authorised reporting centre within 24 working hours, even if you are claiming 3rd party. Your insurer is pretty nice to accept your explanation. Petty ones would repudiate your policy already.

Silvershield.. u must ask yrself..say after u sell the car. Do u still need to get another car for own use ? If yes. Then i find that this accident also like knn sabo u indirectly. Cos now coe fiaking high. Smlj car also expensive. 

On these ground. U can try ask for a car of similar type with similar remaining coe lifespan.. as replacement to u !

• Haha! 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:22 AM, Beehive3783 said:

Yes, you claim behind 3rd party, in front claim your insurance. Even if you don't claim OD, your NCD will still take a hit (less 20%) and probably premium will also go up due to other party claiming you.

Actually by right, you are supposed to make a report to your insurance authorised reporting centre within 24 working hours, even if you are claiming 3rd party. Your insurer is pretty nice to accept your explanation. Petty ones would repudiate your policy already.

Yup, I am claiming behind thru workshop 3rd party for loss of use 28days. Certainly, I foresee my car insurance might go up but I have video to proof my case when buying my next car insurance. 

have decided to move on and sell my car to workshop.  I am currently driving my spare coe car. 

yah the lady email me black n white to say they are aware of accident. 

• Praise 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:42 AM, AndrewLee72 said:

Silvershield.. u must ask yrself..say after u sell the car. Do u still need to get another car for own use ? If yes. Then i find that this accident also like knn sabo u indirectly. Cos now coe fiaking high. Smlj car also expensive. 

On these ground. U can try ask for a car of similar type with similar remaining coe lifespan.. as replacement to u !

Yah bro I now looking to buy another car. If not for this accident my cUrrent car still can drive 1 year before coe expire. Now need hunt new used car to play. Yah high dep now. Best time to bargain with dealer. 

On 3/16/2023 at 5:46 PM, silvershield said:

Yup, I am claiming behind thru workshop 3rd party for loss of use 28days. Certainly, I foresee my car insurance might go up but I have video to proof my case when buying my next car insurance. 

have decided to move on and sell my car to workshop.  I am currently driving my spare coe car. 

yah the lady email me black n white to say they are aware of accident. 

Did u manage to claim any inj??
if kenna rear ended, not that hard to claim inj, the only issue is troubsome, and limited amount. but a few thousands also not bad😁

• Praise 2

Supercharged
On 3/16/2023 at 5:46 PM, silvershield said:

Yup, I am claiming behind thru workshop 3rd party for loss of use 28days. Certainly, I foresee my car insurance might go up but I have video to proof my case when buying my next car insurance

Can explain how this works? When they quote you the high price, you send them the video file and do bargaining?

↡ Advertisement