Recommendations for car respraying/fixing of minor scratches and dents

Galapogos

Hi,

My Mitsubishi EC will be reaching 5 years old soon, and I'm thinking of giving it a "refresh" by spray painting and fixing the minor dents and scratches. What's the ballpark damage for this, and any workshop recommendations?

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

In the past (5+ years ago) I have heard of sub-$1000 paint jobs especially from workshops specialized in refreshing used cars for resale by car dealers. Bottom line is: you get what you pay for. It will cost more if you want to change colour, and will cost even more if you want to change a dark colour to a lighter colour.

I need to caveat that car painting is a skilled profession and the recommendations I make are very likely out of date; in 2016 I painted my car same colour with Lek Chuan for $1,100. Workmanship was very good and everything was properly masked with no overspray issues.

If you want to go cheap, try Toh Ah Swee at Kranji. I believe they do used car dealer cars but their price/quality was acceptable back in the early 2010s. 

• Praise 4

Twincharged
On 3/12/2023 at 8:29 PM, ER-3682 said:

Don't go to the Workshop ''bemywife'' went to,We don't another Thread of unhappy Owner.

Or the one silvershield went to after his chain collision. 

• Haha! 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:29 PM, ER-3682 said:

Don't go to the Workshop ''bemywife'' went to,We don't another Thread of unhappy Owner.

I miss that thread. Moderator should not have locked it.🤣

Come to think of it, last time don’t  have ceramic coated PPS and I have less chip marks and scratches than now, not sure if it is the PPS compound (9H) that makes the paint more brittle, the width of current car or the narrower car park lots these days that warrants a respray so soon. 

On 3/12/2023 at 4:19 PM, Galapogos said:

Hi,

My Mitsubishi EC will be reaching 5 years old soon, and I'm thinking of giving it a "refresh" by spray painting and fixing the minor dents and scratches. What's the ballpark damage for this, and any workshop recommendations?

Thanks!

factory paint is the best. If your paint is still good, just send for detailing and pps. For dents i will go for PDR. 

• Praise 4

On 3/13/2023 at 8:56 AM, Stratovarius said:

factory paint is the best. If your paint is still good, just send for detailing and pps. For dents i will go for PDR. 

Ya , budget spray dun last long, old car most owner wont go for those expensive spray.

if those dent are not obvious and scatch not deep, i rather do a proper detailing , paint correction and protection, and keep the factory paint. 

• Praise 1

On 3/12/2023 at 9:12 PM, Davidklt said:

I miss that thread. Moderator should not have locked it.🤣

Yup, just suspend the account to cool heads.   I was following the tread as need inputs on a respray.  

Looking out for factory quality pain respray, recommend workshops and its associated cost? 

bad idea to re-spray... unless there isnt any choice.. else normal touch up, correction and detailing will do. I did a re-spray many years ago on my civic... approx 1k but the quality wasnt up to mark. 

• Praise 1

On 3/13/2023 at 12:26 PM, Davidklt said:

Your car is only 5 years old...too "new" to respray la.

If the Car is exposed to Rain & Hot Sun everyday,5 Years...all fade liao.

(edited)

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'm quite new to all this, what is PPS and PDR?

Not looking for the cheapest, but just "bang for the buck". Something decent that would restore my car to it's past glory perhaps, prevent any potential rust from the scratches (probably unlikely as the scratches aren't that deep), and last for the next 5 years.

My car is parked both indoors and outdoors, but I would say outdoors more than indoors. It's washed about weekly, so it still looks OKish. In fact, after a good wash, from afar it still looks good. Just that upon closer look, can tell the scratches and dents some places (especially near the doors). Would touch up and detailing be able to achieve this, and what is the damage for that as well?

Edited by Galapogos

I have no affiliation to them but use them for body respray and vehicle damage. They are honest and you need to let them know what you want, is it for permanent respray, change color, or temporary ones (like those 2nd hand car dealers who just want it to look good for a few months), and they will quote you accordingly.

His workshop is near Bedok, proper spray paint and repair shop, name is Ah Lee, number is 98181398

On 3/13/2023 at 4:46 PM, Galapogos said:

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'm quite new to all this, what is PPS and PDR?

Paint Protection System it's essentially an invisible coating applied over the top of the car's paintwork and serves as a protective layer. It shields the paint from the likes of stone chips, tree sap, bird droppings and fading, all of which are common and damaging to untreated cars.

Paintless Dent Removal, the swiftest and most effective method to get rid of small dings and dents.

The only pain is to your wallet.

:D

You need a sucker to do this for you. 

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement