Michelle Yeoh makes history as first Asian to win Best Actress Oscar

Fitvip

Supercharged
On 3/13/2023 at 10:00 PM, Lala81 said:

Never watch the movie. It's been many years since I had the patience to watch the movies featured in Oscars. And definitely only if I had to pay money and sit down watch in theater without distractions. It's just not possible with Netflix at home. 8

Haha, Jimmy Kimmel the Oscar host will tell you that movies are meant for the theater. I think he said that in his opening  monologue...like taking a jab at streaming services. 😄

Anyway, I also do Netflix but its a totally different experience.  That big screen and that big surround sound is hard to replicate at home and I am a sucker for immersive sound experience.

Edited by Starry
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Supercharged
On 3/13/2023 at 10:32 PM, Thaiyotakamli said:

This is like a token of appreciation

just like zoe tay and chen han wei😆

Token of appreciation will be that legend award which they gave to give face, like the one for Jackie Chan in 2016 I think.

Best actress award definitely no token of appreciation thing in the academy award circle. This one is hard to earn as it has to be  voted by the 10,000 plus academy members 

Edited by Starry
  • Praise 4

On 3/13/2023 at 7:52 PM, mersaylee said:

I could only last 30mins into that movie...the actings were horrendous...macam watching Asian crazy rich liddat...

'Where the wind blows' was a much more entertaining one to watch. 

yup, I find Everything Everywhere All At Once overrated. acting is good but story is kinda same old same old. so kinda surprised that it won best picture.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

I love her speech. 

“For all the little boys and girls who look like me watching tonight, this is a beacon of hope and possibilities. This is proof that dreams dream big, and dreams do come true,”

Maybe I should start dreaming. 😇

• Haha! 4

On 3/14/2023 at 8:51 AM, kobayashiGT said:

I love her speech. 

Maybe I should start dreaming. 😇

suppose young boys got 100% humidity dreams every night 🙈🙉🙊

• Haha! 3

last week went movie watched aaron kwok bank cyber attack one machiam cartoon network sibay jialat until dun noe how to describe 🙊🙉🙈 

nowadays seems rarely got really nice impressive blockbuster anymore 🤐🤐🤐 

except those japan action packed ones got huge pool of fans 😜😜😜

• Haha! 2

I think she deserves it, maybe not for the most recent movie but all of which she had done. In terms of years of acting experience not many actress comes close. I watch her since young, like in those jackie chan action movies. If angmoh tk wants to give her an award i wont disagree.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
On 3/13/2023 at 9:59 PM, mersaylee said:

Sometimes this type of gala is gila one...it's wayang wayang afterall 😁

An elderly relative used to call it "distributing kuih" [laugh]

Must spread the prizes around, and anyway, US is now going overboard with inclusiveness and ignoring a film with a major asian representation is going to be touchy.

But michelle deserve it more for all the consistent effort she put into her movies for a long time, most were hits and none flopped badly.

Ke Huy Quan was the surprise - he actually dropped out of showbiz for a long period of time and then returned for the win. He joined the right movie at the right time.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 2

On 3/14/2023 at 10:03 AM, Sosaria said:

An elderly relative used to call it "distributing kuih" [laugh]

Must spread the prizes around, and anyway, US is now going overboard with inclusiveness and ignoring a film with a major asian representation is going to be touchy.

But michelle deserve it more for all the consistent effort she put into her movies for a long time, most were hits and none flopped badly.

Ke Huy Quan was the surprise - he actually dropped out of showbiz for a long period of time and then returned for the win. He joined the right movie at the right time.

I found MY was better in Asian Crazy Rich than this one...but yah, she deserves recognition for her perseverance and professionalism in her long acting career. She's good in Police Story 3 Supercop...so so in Shang Chi and Mummy...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I can't stand crazy rich Asian. It is pretty terrible (my opinion) in both script and acting. But many people like. 

If this movie is anything like crazy rich Asian, I won't bother watching. 

• Praise 3

On 3/14/2023 at 11:35 AM, Kxbc said:

I can't stand crazy rich Asian. It is pretty terrible (my opinion) in both script and acting. But many people like. 

If this movie is anything like crazy rich Asian, I won't bother watching. 

I didn't watch. I will listen to you and won't bother to watch in future too! 

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 3/14/2023 at 11:41 AM, Volvobrick said:

I didn't watch. I will listen to you and won't bother to watch in future too! 

don't trust me too much. My taste might be very different from yours. 🙂 

Supercharged
On 3/14/2023 at 7:35 AM, Blueray said:

yup, I find Everything Everywhere All At Once overrated. acting is good but story is kinda same old same old. so kinda surprised that it won best picture.

Best picture, most of the time is seldom the one that audience like best (otherwise all the marvel and star wars blockbuster would have won liow) , but usually the one that is good in many departments like editing, costume design, directing, screenplay, sound, special effects, acting, etc, etc. 

It is the only category that every member of the Academy (10000 plus members) can make nomination and vote. Those members come from different categories (directing, acting,  cinematography, costume design, sound, editing, etc, etc) and so the best picture is usually the one that has the best combination of all those elements. 

I think the crowd favorite, Top Gun : Maverick at least won the Oscar for Best Sound and I got to agree.  I was blown away by the sound of the opening scene of the show in the theater.

Edited by Starry
  • Praise 1

On 3/14/2023 at 10:03 AM, Sosaria said:

that role was meant for Jackie chan but he turned down due to his schedule.  

Supersonic
On 3/13/2023 at 7:52 PM, mersaylee said:

I could only last 30mins into that movie...the actings were horrendous...macam watching Asian crazy rich liddat...

'Where the wind blows' was a much more entertaining one to watch. 

sounds like pity oscars.

↡ Advertisement