Hyundai Pledges To Keep Physical Buttons, Explains Why. . .

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

2024-hyundai-kona-electric.webp

Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/658027/hyundai-pledges-keep-physical-buttons/

As with most automakers, Hyundai has jumped on the dual-screen bandwagon with tablet-like displays mounted on the dashboard. However, the South Korean brand is doing things differently since it hasn't given up on conventional controls. While many rival brands are simplifying their interiors by integrating most functions into the center screen, a lot of the features inside a Hyundai are still accessible by simply pressing a button.

Shown here is Hyundai's newest car, the 2024 Kona with its pair of 12.3-inch displays and plenty of conventional buttons along with a couple of knobs. Sang Yup Lee, Head of Hyundai Design, told the Australian magazine Cars Guide that the reasoning behind the decision to retain old-school controls is due to safety concerns: "When you're driving it's hard to control it [the touchscreen], this is why when it's a hard key it's easy to sense and feel it."

2024-hyundai-kona-electric.webp

He went on to mention Hyundai will retain hard buttons for as long as possible, but Lee admitted it’s only a matter of time before most functions will be built into the touchscreen. He was referring to vehicles equipped with a level 4 self-driving system, in which case the car won't even need a steering wheel or pedals. As defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers, level 4 automation implies no human intervention is required. In this case, using a touchscreen wouldn't be a safety risk since the car would be doing all the driving.

In the meantime, Hyundai is sticking with traditional controls. Even a car with a futuristic design such as the Ioniq 6 electric sedan still has shortcuts outside of the touchscreen for the air conditioning and other often-used functions. The day will come when everything will be moved inside the big screen but for now when we're still driving our cars, Lee argues it's "safest to have your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

Is good to have physical buttons. It is much much safer and convenient to operate, without taking eyes off the road to look at where and what we are touching as is the problem with silly touch screens. Finally, common sense return on some auto makers.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 3

On 3/22/2023 at 8:59 AM, Heartbreakid said:

Is good to have physical buttons. It is much much safer and convenient to operate, without taking eyes off the road to look at where and what we are touching as is the problem with silly touch screens. Finally, common sense return on some auto makers.

It looks so plain with everything touch screen. Its a turn off for me if there is no button. 

• Praise 3

It is clearly a big distraction to use everything on a touchscreen. Plus the smartphone drivers own. Too many distractions.

Why car makers have to come up with safety systems to alert drivers and auto jam brake the car is because of distractions.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, Rayleigh said:

It looks so plain with everything touch screen. Its a turn off for me if there is no button. 

Oh yes. Suddenly I see newer cars, especially EVs all have the tablet touchscreens and all look 90% the same. Plain and boring. And also lots of finger print marks too.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 3/22/2023 at 9:10 AM, Jamesc said:

I like buttons 

No buttons how to tune radio?

:D

On 3/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, Jamesc said:

So I am not the only one that gets turned on by buttons.

:nosebleed:loves AM cum FM turners on syt xmm :inlove:

• Shocked 1

Turbocharged
On 3/22/2023 at 8:11 AM, Jamesc said:

So I am not the only one that gets turned on by buttons.

And you also like to check on the name tag or number tag:XD:

• Haha! 1

I am still old school and prefer analouge gauges and physical buttons for key daily controls (eg temp, fan speed, ventilated seats adjustments, radio etc). Aesthetically more 3 dimensional vs a flat display; usage more straight forward and fastest response time. 

buttons are so much easier to use.... i used to drive that bloody volvo s90.... even simple tasks such as adjusting air-con will require to traverse a series of menu steps to adjust. The SA would said, dont worry u can use the voice command... yeah, most of the time, it doesnt work well. 

• Haha! 2

On 3/22/2023 at 11:49 AM, Inlinefour said:

:nosebleed:loves AM cum FM turners on syt xmm :inlove:

wow u really tiko god... discussion on buttons can also turn to hamsup stuff sia. 

On 3/22/2023 at 1:41 PM, Estrangable said:

wow u really tiko god... discussion on buttons can also turn to hamsup stuff sia. 

errr actually refering to ears cos naughty then pull ears mah...no pun intended 🙊🙉🙈 

Some of us are from the Nokia generation where we were able to send text messages on a numerical keypad simply by touch typing. However with the advent of smartphones this skill became a dinosaur - I was one of the last holdouts as I was using a Nokia E75 that had a keypad but some smartphone features 

• Praise 2

On 3/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, Rayleigh said:

Same thought... 

Exactly the reason I will never like Testla interior...

No need to said of exterior design also no no for me.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1