Reflections: Life lessons at 30

SiLangKia

Been away from MCF for abit, as i needed a detox from social media, and also cos i can't keep up with the threads HAHA. 

Took some time to look back and think about life, and at 30, i realise that it's a good age to take stock of life, look back on the lessons learnt in my 20s , and look ahead to an exciting future in my 30s where things will definitely be different (and my youth will definitely expire😅)

I'm starting this thread to document my thoughts, and also encourage others to share the lessons they've learnt at 30 or 30ish, hopefully to reminisce on the wonderful memories, and by sharing, to hopefully motivate and inspire each other (sounds an gay but whatever)

So here's mine: 

Honestly, i didnt expect to reach here so quickly, adulting is tough and i still feel like a kid sometimes who's not ready for the world. 

The 20s were spent ambitiously trying to build a career (won't mention which industry cos too obvious), navigate the pressure cooker society, learning through hard knocks (brutal colleagues and superiors) which really taught me the value of perseverance and resilience.

While i wouldn't say I'm there yet, I've definitely grown. At 30, when i look back, i begin to value relationships over objectives, as you start to realise that the paper chase/rat race never ends! Therefore, it is important to know what you want to achieve in life, or what makes you content, and not mindlessly chase for the sake of it.

I've also learnt that people come and go so quickly that even you struggle to come to terms with the brevity of it all. Hence, the inportance of cherishing whatever relationships you have is of utmost significance. It is a time where your connections expand (due to networking etc but you find your social circle diminishing, at least for me)

Ultimately,you can never really depend on anyone except yourself (and family) as ultimately, everyone has their own lives/commitments and sombre as it may seem, it is the reality of life. 

On a brighter note, such experiences prepare me for my 30s, where i know the tumultuous times are only just beginning. The foundation and hard knocks serve to better prepare me for the road ahead. I'm thankful for the people who stuck by and motivate/inspire me. 

Three simple rules that keep me going: 

1. If you dont go after what you truly want, you'll never have it 

2. If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

3. If you don't step forward, you'll always be in the same place 

I admit I'm far, far from being there yet, or achieving anything significant in life, I've had many failures, still afraid in terms relationships due to past scares ( engaged but didn't marry) and now so scared that i sent flowers anonymously to a girl On vday but don't even there to admit that kind HAHAHHAHA

If y'all wanna hear more i shall share a part 2, while gather my thoughts.

Look forward with anticipation to hearing the various life lessons / reflections from the bros and sis here 😘😘😘

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 34

For u all a long way to go..........................This is apt for me!...........coming.........

For those of us who are 55 years old and above. This is for us. I really like what is being said here. Thank you to the person who wrote this.

❤ Between 55 and death. It's time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it. Don't just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it. 
Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son, daughter or daughter-in-law, son-in-law with big big ideas for your hard-earned capital.

❤ Warning: This is also a bad time for investments, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.

❤ Stop worrying about the financial situation of your children and grandchildren, and don't feel bad spending your money on yourself. You've taken care of them for many years, and you've taught them what you could. You gave them an  education, food, shelter and support. The responsibility is now theirs to earn their own money.

❤ Keep a healthy life, without great physical effort. Do moderate exercise (like walking every day), eat well and get your sleep. It's easy to become sick, and it gets harder to remain healthy. That is why you need to keep yourself  in good shape and be aware of your medical and physical needs. Keep in touch with your doctor, do tests even when you're feeling well. Stay informed.

❤ Always buy the best, most beautiful items for your significant other. The key goal is to enjoy your money with your partner. One day one of you will miss the other, and the money will not provide any comfort then, enjoy it together.

❤ Don't stress over the little things. You've already overcome so much in your life. You have good memories and bad ones, but the important thing is the present. Don't let the past drag you down and don't  let the future frighten you. Feel good in the now. Small issues will soon be forgotten.

❤ Regardless of age, always keep love alive. Love your partner, love life, love your family, love your neighbor and remember: "A man is not old as long as he has intelligence and affection."

❤ Be proud, both inside and out. Don't stop going to your hair salon or barber, do your nails, go to the dermatologist and the dentist, keep your perfumes and creams well stocked. When you are well-maintained on the outside  , it seeps in, making you feel proud and strong.

❤ Don’t lose sight of fashion trends for your age, but keep your own sense of style. You ’ve developed your own sense of what looks good on you – keep it and be proud of it. It ’s part of who you are.

❤ ALWAYS stay up-to-date. Read newspapers, watch the news. Go online and read what people are saying. Make sure you have an active email account and try to use some of those social networks. You'll be surprised what old  friends you'll meet.

❤ Respect the younger generation and their opinions. They may not have the same ideas as you, but they are the future, and will take the world in their direction. Give advice, not criticism, and try to remind them that yesterday's wisdom still applies  today.
 Never use the phrase: “In my time.” Your time is now. As long as you ’re alive, you are part of this time.

❤ Some people embrace their golden years, while others become bitter and surly. Life is too short to waste your days on the latter. Spend your time with positive, cheerful people, it'll rub off on you and your days will seem that much  better. Spending your time with bitter people will make you feel older and harder to be around.

❤ Do not surrender to the temptation of living with your children or grandchildren (if you have a financial choice, that is). Sure, being surrounded by family sounds great, but we all need our privacy. They need theirs and you need yours.  Even then, do so only if you feel you really need the help or do not want to live by yourself.

❤ Don't abandon your hobbies. If you don't have any, make new ones. You can travel, hike, cook, read, dance. You can adopt a cat or a dog, grow a kitchen garden, play cards, checkers, chess, dominoes, golf.

❤ Try to go. Get out of the house, meet people you haven't seen in a while, experience something new (or something old). The important thing is to leave the house from time to time. Go to museums, go walk  through a park. Get out there.

❤ Speak in courteous tones and try not to complain or criticize too much unless you really need to. Try to accept situations as they are.

❤ Pains and discomfort go hand in hand with getting older. Try not to dwell on them but accept them as a part of the life.

❤ If you've been offended by someone - forgive them. If you've offended someone - apologize. Don't drag around resentment with you. It only serves to make you sad and bitter. It doesn't matter who was right.  Someone once said: "Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die." Don't take that poison. Forgive, forget and move on with your life.

❤ Laugh. Laugh away your worries Remember, you are one of the lucky ones. You managed to have a life, a long one. Many never get to this age, never get to experience a full life.

To my valued friends, enjoy a peaceful life at this stage.
Don’t worry ... be happy.🙏🥰

• Praise 55

On 3/29/2023 at 7:29 AM, SiLangKia said:

Been away from MCF for abit, as i needed a detox from social media, and also cos i can't keep up with the threads HAHA. 

Took some time to look back and think about life, and at 30, i realise that it's a good age to take stock of life, look back on the lessons learnt in my 20s , and look ahead to an exciting future in my 30s where things will definitely be different (and my youth will definitely expire😅)

I'm starting this thread to document my thoughts, and also encourage others to share the lessons they've learnt at 30 or 30ish, hopefully to reminisce on the wonderful memories, and by sharing, to hopefully motivate and inspire each other (sounds an gay but whatever)

So here's mine: 

Honestly, i didnt expect to reach here so quickly, adulting is tough and i still feel like a kid sometimes who's not ready for the world. 

The 20s were spent ambitiously trying to build a career (won't mention which industry cos too obvious), navigate the pressure cooker society, learning through hard knocks (brutal colleagues and superiors) which really taught me the value of perseverance and resilience.

While i wouldn't say I'm there yet, I've definitely grown. At 30, when i look back, i begin to value relationships over objectives, as you start to realise that the paper chase/rat race never ends! Therefore, it is important to know what you want to achieve in life, or what makes you content, and not mindlessly chase for the sake of it.

I've also learnt that people come and go so quickly that even you struggle to come to terms with the brevity of it all. Hence, the inportance of cherishing whatever relationships you have is of utmost significance. It is a time where your connections expand (due to networking etc but you find your social circle diminishing, at least for me)

Ultimately,you can never really depend on anyone except yourself (and family) as ultimately, everyone has their own lives/commitments and sombre as it may seem, it is the reality of life. 

On a brighter note, such experiences prepare me for my 30s, where i know the tumultuous times are only just beginning. The foundation and hard knocks serve to better prepare me for the road ahead. I'm thankful for the people who stuck by and motivate/inspire me. 

I admit I'm far, far from being there yet, or achieving anything significant in life, I've had many failures, still afraid in terms relationships due to past scares ( engaged but didn't marry) and now so scared that i sent flowers anonymously to a girl On vday but don't even there to admit that kind HAHAHHAHA

Look forward with anticipation to hearing the various life lessons / reflections from the bros and sis here 😘😘😘

At 30ish, I went into a coma, and the rest is history..........never thought I would be alive today.  However, God with all his grace has kept me here...  My stories of near death, my dialysis as well as my post transplant (10 years now) has brought me much to be thankful for!

The most important lesson I have for all is:  

Family will always be there for you....never ever de prioritize them!

• Praise 28
  • Shocked 1

In my 30s I remember going to a lot of weddings because frens and colleagues my age all getting married.

In one company we seem to meet up every month for a colleague wedding and so many different 5 star hotels we came to the conclusion Boulevard hotel surprisingly not the most expensive had the best wedding food.

In your 50s you go to weddings but mostly nieces and nephews.

In your 60s I have been told you go to a lot of funerals.

:D

Anyway the point I wanted to make was when you are young you are sheltered by good people your family and friends.

Only when you go out to work you find a lot of evil a**holes. Just like on the roads!

SLK stay true to yourself always be the good guy.

The world doesn't need another evil a**hole but just one more good guy it's so much better. 

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 16
  • Haha! 4

Supersonic
On 3/29/2023 at 7:29 AM, SiLangKia said:

So here's mine: 

Bro...30 is practically still a tadpole swimming to the egg la....lol. Many many more joys and disappointments lie ahead so pace yourself 

• Haha! 5

The downside of being a good guy is you lose a lot of battles.

Because you cannot play dirty.

But this comes to the most important life lesson I have 

I have tasted success. Working for the biggest companies in the world in senior positions talking to CEOs in boardrooms and I have also done entry level positions when I first started but it's all just

VANITY.

When you are doing well and people see the success they don't see the person.

When you are doing junior positions people see the failure they don't see the person.

The only people that love you are the people that accept you for who you are.

They don't see the success or failure they just see you.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 16

Supersonic
On 3/29/2023 at 7:50 AM, RadX said:

For u all a long way to go..........................This is apt for me!...........coming.........

For those of us who are 55 years old and above. This is for us. I really like what is being said here. Thank you to the person who wrote this.

❤ Between 55 and death. It's time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it. Don't just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it. 
Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son, daughter or daughter-in-law, son-in-law with big big ideas for your hard-earned capital.

❤ Warning: This is also a bad time for investments, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.

❤ Stop worrying about the financial situation of your children and grandchildren, and don't feel bad spending your money on yourself. You've taken care of them for many years, and you've taught them what you could. You gave them an  education, food, shelter and support. The responsibility is now theirs to earn their own money.

❤ Keep a healthy life, without great physical effort. Do moderate exercise (like walking every day), eat well and get your sleep. It's easy to become sick, and it gets harder to remain healthy. That is why you need to keep yourself  in good shape and be aware of your medical and physical needs. Keep in touch with your doctor, do tests even when you're feeling well. Stay informed.

❤ Always buy the best, most beautiful items for your significant other. The key goal is to enjoy your money with your partner. One day one of you will miss the other, and the money will not provide any comfort then, enjoy it together.

❤ Don't stress over the little things. You've already overcome so much in your life. You have good memories and bad ones, but the important thing is the present. Don't let the past drag you down and don't  let the future frighten you. Feel good in the now. Small issues will soon be forgotten.

❤ Regardless of age, always keep love alive. Love your partner, love life, love your family, love your neighbor and remember: "A man is not old as long as he has intelligence and affection."

❤ Be proud, both inside and out. Don't stop going to your hair salon or barber, do your nails, go to the dermatologist and the dentist, keep your perfumes and creams well stocked. When you are well-maintained on the outside  , it seeps in, making you feel proud and strong.

❤ Don’t lose sight of fashion trends for your age, but keep your own sense of style. You ’ve developed your own sense of what looks good on you – keep it and be proud of it. It ’s part of who you are.

❤ ALWAYS stay up-to-date. Read newspapers, watch the news. Go online and read what people are saying. Make sure you have an active email account and try to use some of those social networks. You'll be surprised what old  friends you'll meet.

❤ Respect the younger generation and their opinions. They may not have the same ideas as you, but they are the future, and will take the world in their direction. Give advice, not criticism, and try to remind them that yesterday's wisdom still applies  today.
 Never use the phrase: “In my time.” Your time is now. As long as you ’re alive, you are part of this time.

❤ Some people embrace their golden years, while others become bitter and surly. Life is too short to waste your days on the latter. Spend your time with positive, cheerful people, it'll rub off on you and your days will seem that much  better. Spending your time with bitter people will make you feel older and harder to be around.

❤ Do not surrender to the temptation of living with your children or grandchildren (if you have a financial choice, that is). Sure, being surrounded by family sounds great, but we all need our privacy. They need theirs and you need yours.  Even then, do so only if you feel you really need the help or do not want to live by yourself.

❤ Don't abandon your hobbies. If you don't have any, make new ones. You can travel, hike, cook, read, dance. You can adopt a cat or a dog, grow a kitchen garden, play cards, checkers, chess, dominoes, golf.

❤ Try to go. Get out of the house, meet people you haven't seen in a while, experience something new (or something old). The important thing is to leave the house from time to time. Go to museums, go walk  through a park. Get out there.

❤ Speak in courteous tones and try not to complain or criticize too much unless you really need to. Try to accept situations as they are.

❤ Pains and discomfort go hand in hand with getting older. Try not to dwell on them but accept them as a part of the life.

❤ If you've been offended by someone - forgive them. If you've offended someone - apologize. Don't drag around resentment with you. It only serves to make you sad and bitter. It doesn't matter who was right.  Someone once said: "Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die." Don't take that poison. Forgive, forget and move on with your life.

❤ Laugh. Laugh away your worries Remember, you are one of the lucky ones. You managed to have a life, a long one. Many never get to this age, never get to experience a full life.

Old enuf to collect CPF happy liao

Enlightenment is when get to join CPF life

Lol

• Haha! 2

On 3/29/2023 at 8:44 AM, Soya said:

Old enuf to collect CPF happy liao

Enlightenment is when get to join CPF life

Lol

Eh u collect aldy ah?

Supersonic
On 3/29/2023 at 8:48 AM, RadX said:

Eh u collect aldy ah?

Symbolically collected $1....lol

Let the rest compound lor

• Haha! 2

Supercharged

20s and 30s were fun times.

Nothing to lose

Lots to learn and so easy to move up the ladder in terms of relationships or career

later on have to grapple with the looming threats of the R word at work and also health and family issues as you age, no longer so fun

Hoping that the other R when I reach will be better days

• Praise 5

Supersonic
On 3/29/2023 at 8:54 AM, mersaylee said:

Rich man spotted...😁

At 65 use the monthly payout as pocket money for monthly holidays lor

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I took the red pill.

5653256_download(39).jpeg.a460c6351dbf29f78bdef990b1a8bb91.jpeg

On 3/29/2023 at 8:53 AM, mersaylee said:

@Jamesc bro have you today finally taken the correct medication or has forgotten to take the wrong medication...? 😁

• Haha! 2

On 3/29/2023 at 7:50 AM, RadX said:

At 55++ you have more medical appts to attend to than friends appt meet up ( remember also parents appts too to tag along as they are also living beyond like 90++) 

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 4