Fake Friend Scam Calls, syndicate arrested in Johor.

Watwheels

Raid on Johor flat cripples scam syndicate which allegedly targeted S’poreans

https://tnp.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/raid-johor-flat-cripples-syndicate-which-allegedly-targeted-sporeans-fake-friend-call

dw-fakefriend-scam-230329_2.jpg?itok=wkA

Police from both sides of the Causeway have crippled a scam syndicate in Johor which had allegedly been targeting Singaporeans with fake friend calls.

Three Malaysian men, aged between 18 and 27, were extradited from Johor to Singapore on Tuesday, after a raid on a Johor apartment complex on March 20 led to their arrests.

In the fake friend call scam, fraudsters would contact victims and pretend to be their friends before asking for financial help. The syndicate, which started operating early in 2023, is believed to be involved in over 40 police reports made in Singapore, with victims losing more than $250,000 in total.

The Singapore Police Force and Royal Malaysia Police shared information after receiving the reports. The raid was jointly conducted by Singapore’s Commercial Affairs Department and the Johor Commercial Crime Investigation Department.

The three men, who are expected to be charged with conspiracy to cheat on Thursday, face a jail term of up to three years and a fine.

In 2022, the fake friend call scam cost victims here at least $8.8 million, according to police statistics. In 2023, more than 1,300 people have lost at least $4.33 million to such scams, the police said.

Commercial Affairs Department director David Chew said on Wednesday that such scams are a serious concern. There were no reported cases in 2020, but the number of cases jumped to 686 in 2021, and to 2,106 in 2022.

“The Singapore Police Force has been working closely with the Royal Malaysia Police to detect and arrest these transnational syndicates who prey on our citizens,” he said. “We will continue to take tough action against individuals who perpetuate scams, even if they are based overseas.”

The police advise the public to download the ScamShield app, and to set security features including enabling two-factor authentication for their bank, social media and Singpass accounts. Limits on Internet banking transactions such as those via PayNow should also be set.

Members of the public should check for signs of a scam through official sources, such as visiting www.scamalert.sg or calling the anti-scam hotline on 1800-722-6688.

“Verify whether the request is legitimate by checking with your family and friends through alternative means such as physical meet-ups, video calls or e-mails, other than using the new contact details on your phone,” the police added.

Who kenna this kinda call before?

My wife kenna earlier this year. The idiot on the line kept asking her to guess who but not say his name. She played along and gave her colleague's name who is sitting next to her at that time. She saw that it was an overseas number and find that he has an M'sian accent. After a while she ended the call. The fellow tried calling her with several other country's IDD but same hp number but got ignored. This idiot doesnt know he is being too obvious.

Good thing they are being arrested. Cant believe got ppl fall for it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

On 3/30/2023 at 11:44 AM, Watwheels said:

Raid on Johor flat cripples scam syndicate which allegedly targeted S’poreans

https://tnp.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/raid-johor-flat-cripples-syndicate-which-allegedly-targeted-sporeans-fake-friend-call

dw-fakefriend-scam-230329_2.jpg?itok=wkA

Police from both sides of the Causeway have crippled a scam syndicate in Johor which had allegedly been targeting Singaporeans with fake friend calls.

Who kenna this kinda call before?

My wife kenna earlier this year. The idiot on the line kept asking her to guess who but not say his name. She played along and gave her colleague's name who is sitting next to her at that time. She saw that it was an overseas number and find that he has an M'sian accent. After a while she ended the call. The fellow tried calling her with several other country's IDD but same hp number but got ignored. This idiot doesnt know he is being too obvious.

Good thing they are being arrested. Cant believe got ppl fall for it.

Yes, i kenna before.....ask me to guess who he is as well.....same modus operandi. 

ask me to transfer money to his contractor account after house reno, and say he will pay me back end of the day....show me his bank account somemore say got money but cannot transfer, i told the bugger do it tomorrow then.....hahhaha..

he ended by saying, small thing also cannot help a fren.....

• Haha! 3

On 3/30/2023 at 11:59 AM, Spidey10 said:

Yes, i kenna before.....ask me to guess who he is as well.....same modus operandi. 

ask me to transfer money to his contractor account after house reno, and say he will pay me back end of the day....show me his bank account somemore say got money but cannot transfer, i told the bugger do it tomorrow then.....hahhaha..

he ended by saying, small thing also cannot help a fren.....

you still talk to him for so long?

should ask him to say 1 secret about you [laugh]

• Haha! 8

Supersonic
On 3/30/2023 at 12:11 PM, Watwheels said:

Dunno how they get hold of the sgp hp numbers?

Ever filled in a 'lucky draw" slip?

• Haha! 1

On 3/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, Soya said:

no need lah, just dial 6xxxxxxx, 8xxxxxxx, 9xxxxxxx will keep them busy.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, Soya said:

Dont think so. But my wife does go over there a few times a year for meeting. Their company has a subsidiary over at JB.

(edited)

My wife said probably they got her number from Carousell or lovebonito. Both sites were hacked by hackers before. They must have stolen the emails and contact numbers and sold them on the black web.

Edited by Watwheels

aiyoh must thanks dbs keling kia boss leh... yesterday suppose to transfer funds to my LianPang Mui one...Heng ah kena disruption can't do it ...wow thought handsome got xmm wanna sian me..is scam huh 🙊🙉🙈

• Haha! 2

On 3/30/2023 at 12:04 PM, Jman888 said:

maybe should just say "Yes, I remember you !  You still owe me $10k , when you want to return?"
Confirm immediately hang up..

• Haha! 4

most of these call the scammer duno who they are calling, dun answer the call by saying "this is John speaking.....", just ask them who they want to speak to, i bet most of them cannot answer, then maybe ask where they get to know you from.

also most of the time people answer phone call with a bit of 热情, but i usually answer with a very cold voice [laugh]

• Haha! 1

On 3/30/2023 at 12:04 PM, Jman888 said:

:yeah-im-not-drunk:...no lah, mostly WA, only the 1st call was via phone call ...and then is all WA....very cheeky!!

Edited by Spidey10

Turbocharged

Noticed that recently there have been no calls from "+65 xxxxxxxx", DBS and MOM coming into my phone.

Our Smart Nation has finally managed to keep up by doing a blanket blocking to these calls?

• Praise 1

On 3/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, Albeniz said:

Noticed that recently there have been no calls from "+65 xxxxxxxx", DBS and MOM coming into my phone.

Our Smart Nation has finally managed to keep up by doing a blanket blocking to these calls?

Have slowed down a little ........ some still come in but its a relief from the heydays like 1 year back  

• Praise 2

On 3/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, Albeniz said:

Netizen warns of scam calls without +65 prefix that claim to be banks

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/netizen-warns-scam-calls-without-65-prefix-claim-be-banks

😁 Too early to claim credits.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

But there has been increase spam via Whatsapp. Most recent was the survey which promises $5/$10 Paylah gratitude. 

↡ Advertisement