34% more potholes detected on Singapore roads in first 2 months of 2023

Blueray

34% more potholes detected on Singapore roads in first 2 months of 2023

SINGAPORE – Blame your bumpier road commutes on the weather.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said it detected 1,123 potholes in the first two months of 2023 – 34 per cent, or 285, more than the same period in 2022 – due to the higher intensity of rain Singapore experienced during this time.

But this year’s figure was far below that of 2021, when there were 3,318 potholes detected over the same period.

The LTA was responding to a request for details from The Sunday Times following a question raised in Parliament by MP Melvin Yong (Radin Mas) on the prevalence of potholes on the roads.

The LTA said that typically, during the dry season, it detects about 200 potholes a month. During the monsoon period, the number of potholes swells to between 800 and 1,000.

Potholes may be discovered during the routine inspection of the 9,500 lane-kilometres under the LTA’s purview, as well as from reports submitted by the public.

They form when water gets into cracks on the road surface. The LTA said the cracks, which result over time through wear and tear, are usually repaired as part of regular inspection, maintenance and road resurfacing work.

When a pothole is detected, the repair would usually be done within 24 hours, the LTA said, assuming that the road surface is sufficiently dry for the work to be completed properly.

During a wet spell, additional inspections are conducted, and more resources are deployed accordingly to expedite pothole repairs, it added.

The LTA said that because of the more intense rainfall in recent years, it is also speeding up the localised resurfacing work on the slower lanes of roads, which tend to have a higher concentration of heavy vehicles and high traffic volume.

“Should there be prolonged rainfall, we will first patch the affected road temporarily to ensure safety and wait for the weather to improve before carrying out the conventional, long-lasting rectification”, the authority added.

The LTA urges the public to report road defects such as potholes through its website (www.lta.com.sg), the “Snap & Send” function on the MyTransport.SG mobile application or the Municipal Services Office’s OneService application.

It is important for the repairs to be done quickly.

The Automobile Association of Singapore (AAS) said that once a pothole forms, it can easily grow in size and depth as passing vehicles further wear down the surface, while rain and flooding can wash away the worn surface.

To avoid hitting potholes, the AAS advises motorists to look beyond the vehicle that is directly ahead.

It also advises drivers against swerving their vehicle to dodge potholes as they may lose control of their vehicle or put themselves in the path of other vehicles. If there is no way around a pothole, the best practice is to slow down and “coast over” the pothole, while maintaining a firm grip on the steering wheel to avoid losing control of the vehicle.

In particular, the AAS said that motorists should not jam on the brakes when their vehicle is already going over the pothole as this will cause the vehicle to nosedive, potentially causing damage to the vehicle.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/34-more-potholes-detected-on-singapore-roads-in-first-2-months-of-2023

already a lot of ongoing road works by SP, Singtel, Starhub etc etc, and now potholes.

car suspension system really taking a beating. [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

Recently we acquired a factory in Tuas South, and I have to go there twice a week to show face and settle in with the cross over  staffs. Prior to this I hardly drive to tuas area, but this is really an experience,  in term of traffic and road conditions.  

Potholes? They seem like a requirement on the roads there, every road must have, and they never get fix. I even named a few of them. -_-[laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 10

Kena a few times during the most recent prolonged heavy downpour...especially along the exit of mce towards aye...almost every lane also had...once I could see the front car kinda jumped...i was too close and too late to swerve...i jumped too...😅

Then there's this crack at the edge of a manhole metal cover at the ramp along West Coast viaduct towards cbd...they did patched but cracked again after a week...i suspect they used black sesame paste to fill...😁

• Haha! 11

On 4/9/2023 at 9:59 AM, Tianmo said:

Recently we acquired a factory in Tuas South, and I have to go there twice a week to show face and settle in with the cross over  staffs. Prior to this I hardly drive to tuas area, but this is really an experience,  in term of traffic and road conditions.  

Potholes? They seem like a requirement on the roads there, every road must have, and they never get fix. I even named a few of them. -_-[laugh][laugh]

Yes, western part of this soil is the worst...saw many when we started to enter phase 2...macam totally neglected section liddat 😅

• Praise 2

These were caused by the increased number of cyclists going to Lamppost 1. 

Too many cyclists plying this stretch causing the road surface to deteriorate quickly.🤣.

• Haha! 8

On 4/9/2023 at 10:01 AM, mersaylee said:

Kena a few times during the most recent prolonged heavy downpour...especially along the exit of mce towards aye...almost every lane also had...once I could see the front car kinda jumped...i was too close and too late to swerve...i jumped too...😅

Then there's this crack at the edge of a manhole metal cover at the ramp along West Coast viaduct towards cbd...they did patched but cracked again after a week...i suspect they used black sesame paste to fill...😁

The same potholes keep coming back after they patched. Looks like recurring business for the contractor. If they fixed it permanently then no business liao 😂 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

Turbocharged
On 4/9/2023 at 10:11 AM, Atonchia said:

Too many cyclists plying this stretch causing the road surface to deteriorate quickly.🤣.

u mean alot of them drive there, take pictures with their bike and drive back home huh? whahahahahahaha..

My usual cycling route at Seletar oso pot holes many many till i very sian to go liao..

• Haha! 3

On 4/9/2023 at 10:30 AM, Ody_2004 said:

u mean alot of them drive there, take pictures with their bike and drive back home huh? whahahahahahaha..

My usual cycling route at Seletar oso pot holes many many till i very sian to go liao..

Other than potholes, these few stretches lots of heavy vehicles traffic and the tarmac surface all worn-out, left the  aggregate surface that's really rough.

• Praise 2

AYE exit to Tuas Viaduct.
Just before going up viaduct, there is dip.

On PIE exit to Tuas viaduct, there is no such dip.

• Praise 2

On 4/9/2023 at 10:11 AM, Atonchia said:

There is giant potholes on the left lane just before Tuas Power.
This is towards City direction.

• Praise 2

On 4/9/2023 at 10:30 AM, Ginyu said:

The same potholes keep coming back after they patched. Looks like recurring business for the contractor. If they fixed it permanently then no business liao 😂 

There is a giant pothole in front of Esso Jln Buroh.

The pothole will be patched at least 4 times/annum.

Nowadays can even see wire mesh 

• Haha! 1

Twincharged

1st World Country,3rd World's Roads,even not Potholes caused by heavy Rain,Roads caused by digging & patching already caused the Roads to have Bumps...that is why even Ah Bengs are changing to SUV..

• Haha! 2

(edited)

But to be fair, I don't see too many potholes in other areas. Residential areas usually don't see too many, and usually they get fixed. ^_^[laugh][laugh]

I guess areas with alot of  heavy vehicles moving cannot avoid potholes. Is really a different experience driving around tuas South area.  The amount of heavy vehicles beats PHVs hands down, sometimes I cannot even see my front back left right, just moving forward blindly. Want change lane also scary.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic

Tuas area sure lots of potholes due to many heavy vehicles plying that area. Jurong island, jurong pier rd and jalan buroh area also lots of potholes and uneven roads.

Overall our roads not only full of potholes but also uneven and bumpy road. Hardly can find a road not bumpy.

• Praise 1

On 4/9/2023 at 12:08 PM, 13177 said:

Tuas area sure lots of potholes due to many heavy vehicles plying that area. Jurong island, jurong pier rd and jalan buroh area also lots of potholes and uneven roads.

Overall our roads not only full of potholes but also uneven and bumpy road. Hardly can find a road not bumpy.

Looks like you staying in a place with lots of construction and road work.

• Sad 1