Kyoto travel tips needed - baby in tow

therock

Friends I need some tips on places to go, stay, eat and more 

I know there's a Hokkaido thread, but I didn't want to OT there, and if there's another Kyoto thread, please do the needful.

So basically, I'm hoping to go in Mid November or thereabout, making using of the public holiday in SG and bring my baby over before the airfares get much higher. In December my little 'un will be two, so it's also a good time to go before I get charge full rates.

I'm hoping to spend about 5-6 days there

Some basic aims:

- see the Autumn leaves

- let baby have fun - yeah I know, the memories of this trip may be minimal, but for lao pek, I get to make some memories

- put baby in a Jinbei / Kimono / Ninja suit (heh)

- enjoy good food

- onsen will be nice

- ryokan is nice, but even now, many good places are sold out or unavailable

My budget is about S$250 a night or so for hotels and they need to be baby friendly, and ideally near attractions or central Kyoto and a train station.

I was told to land in Kansai airport and take an express train to Kyoto station direct.

So please share tips on food, hotels / ryokans / places of interest especially for babies with shorter attention spans and more, thanks!

↡ Advertisement

PS- I once visited a palace with a wooden floor that detects ninjas, but I can't remember what's the name - love to let my little 'un test that.... despite my martial arts background, I failed that test... 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_53ea.thumb.jpg.1df113d6af074c0ecc9498d27808030b.jpg

250 dollars is nothing in Kyoto man. I paid that amount to stay in a hostel bunk beds x 4 with shared toilets.  And the place closed down during covid. 

U will have to stay near the train station and take the bus to the attractions. There are very few proper hotels near the attractions. Though there are some in kiyomizu but it makes more sense to stay near the station.

U don't really want to be lugging luggage plus stroller up the buses. During my time there during Sakura season, the buses are like rush hour packed. It maybe standing only even at like evening time. And it's not uncommon u may not be able to get on. 

Bring a very light foldable stroller or u will regret it. Kiyomizu dera area is on a hill side. 

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

Thanks 🙏 

I better make it $300 😅 

so using the Kyoto station a base is good?

I found a hotel near the Nishiki market for $260 a night .. wonder if that’s a good base 

I stayed near there a decade or more ago 

Edited by therock

Twincharged

2nd the light stroller. Most of the trip will be on the train or bus. You need to fold the stroller easily. 
not sure what flight you will be taking but afternoon flight on SQ will arrive too late at 10pm to make the run to Kyoto on the same night. You probably have to put up in a hotel in Osaka or if too tired, then the airport hotel and make the trip up the next day. 
if the overnight flight arriving in the morning flight. Take note of morning rush hour when you use the trains. 
On the JR airport train back to the airport. Take note to board the 1st 4cars as the rear ones decouple and head to wakayama. 
no real suggestions for hotel as I typically stay in Osaka and hop over. 
food wise depending on the crowds. Unless you are prepared to wait. It can get rather crowded in restaurants at the scenic sights. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

On 4/18/2023 at 7:13 AM, therock said:

Thanks 🙏 

I better make it $300 😅 

I found a hotel near the Nishiki market for $260 a night .. wonder if that’s a good base 

Almost everyone I know stays at Kyoto station area. Then just take bus to the touristy parts. At least u ensure u can get on at the start point of the route. Not uncommon to wait for multiple buses before u can get on in kiyomizu area. But maybe that's Sakura season. 

I only stayed at kiyomizu area cos I only stayed in Kyoto for one night, left the next morning. And my son was only 3 then so we actually walked back to the hostel to nap until evening when we came out for dinner. It's a 15 min walk but at least it's walkable.

Bring a strong light weight stroller. Maclaren or something. My combi served me well there. 

• Praise 2

Thanks 🙏 

I got a britax one which weighs 5kg

and folds so that I can bring it on board 👍 

• Praise 1

Thanks 🙏 

I better make it $300 😅 

you better book and confirm early, more prices will increase in months to come since so many people going, all can't wait to be carrot [laugh]

• Haha! 2

On 4/18/2023 at 8:18 AM, Jman888 said:

you better book and confirm early, more prices will increase in months to come since so many people going, all can't wait to be carrot [laugh]

dun lah....i am also looking and planning....but to Hokkaido in Sept/Oct. 

• Haha! 1

(edited)

Thanks but it’s literally baby steps 

first flight and we’ll take it easy with daily itineraries 

local walking or join a daily tour maybe?

appreciate the tip on flights I was thinking of SQ so I’ll need to plan 😅 

Edited by therock
  • Praise 1

Kyoto with a stroller during peak travel period?  It is going to be crowded, you might need to pack the stroller before boarding the bus. 

April and Oct-Dec are peak season for Kyoto. 

If I am traveling with a baby, i will probably go Kyushu or Hokkaido, can rent a car and drive around.  

• Praise 1

Supersonic
On 4/18/2023 at 9:32 AM, Voodooman said:

Kyoto with a stroller during peak travel period?  It is going to be crowded, you might need to pack the stroller before boarding the bus. 

April and Oct-Dec are peak season for Kyoto. 

If I am traveling with a baby, i will probably go Kyushu or Hokkaido, can rent a car and drive around.  

Ahemmm drive in hokkaido in winter w a baby on board? Sounds familiar.......

• Haha! 1

Thanks 🙏 

I better make it $300 😅 

Staying near Kyoto station is recommended.  

This hot spring hotel is pretty good and within walking distance to bus and train station. Not sure if the small room will be challenging for 2 adults and a kid.

Renka-no-Yu On-Yado NONO Kyoto Shichijo
+81 75-365-5489
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BEhedUVD3KtZa3wYA?g_st=ic

If got budget, stay at The Thousand Kyoto. My favorite in Kyoto but it is so expensive these days, so I downgraded to Renka-no-Yu.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:37 AM, Soya said:

Ahemmm drive in hokkaido in winter w a baby on board? Sounds familiar.......

Hokkaido recommended to go May-July period unless you are a winter sports person.

Edited by Voodooman

@Voodooman 

Wow that one is fabulous

I try to stretch to that, it even has rooms big enough in case my MIL wants to come.

Much appreciated

I will use Kyoto station as a base and walk about, maybe take some MRT off peak to those places.. 
Look for eateries nearby

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1