Views on gender roles

Rollagt

Lately, I went to Hai Di Lao with wifey and 2 couple friends. When the raw food comes, one of my friend's wife start putting the raw food inside the barely boiling soup, within 5mins she start picking the food out as she was hungry. I stopped her and says, "eh..soup haven boil and food only half cooked."

She reply me, "Oh is it?" Then I wonder, all along how she eat steamboat without stomachache ? My friend laugh, "all along, I do the cooking, she eat only." Friend wifey proudly admit that she is blessed.

During dinner, we chat and I told them, I don't know how to change electric socket. The females on the table (except my wife) says, "Har? U are man leh, suppose to know all these technical stuff." At this point, I get annoyed, I reply back..U all also don't know how to cook what. Their reply to me was, aiyo! 2023 leh..not 1980s, your thinking so traditional sia.

What do you think ? Am I consider lousy ? Technical stuff wise, I had no problem self assembly IKEA stuff, simple adjustment to bicycle and change bidet spray hose. Or rather, should girls nowadays learn some basic cooking skills so that they can be self reliant when they go eat steamboat.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 9

Supersonic
(edited)

Such topic talk for 7 days 7 nights also no conclusion la. As long as ownself happy can liao, no need to bother what other gender says. 😂 If a guy dont know electrical stuff, so be it lo if that guy is ok with it.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 3

Hypersonic

Know, ownself do.

Don't know, pay money ask someone do. 

Recently I went to SS buy taps and hoses, the cashiers, whom we speak alot was like, wah you so good can ownself change. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged
On 5/10/2023 at 10:41 PM, Rollagt said:

Lately, I went to Hai Di Lao with wifey and 2 couple friends. When the raw food comes, one of my friend's wife start putting the raw food inside the barely boiling soup, within 5mins she start picking the food out as she was hungry. I stopped her and says, "eh..soup haven boil and food only half cooked."

She reply me, "Oh is it?" Then I wonder, all along how she eat steamboat without stomachache ? My friend laugh, "all along, I do the cooking, she eat only." Friend wifey proudly admit that she is blessed.

During dinner, we chat and I told them, I don't know how to change electric socket. The females on the table (except my wife) says, "Har? U are man leh, suppose to know all these technical stuff." At this point, I get annoyed, I reply back..U all also don't know how to cook what. Their reply to me was, aiyo! 2023 leh..not 1980s, your thinking so traditional sia.

What do you think ? Am I consider lousy ? Technical stuff wise, I had no problem self assembly IKEA stuff, simple adjustment to bicycle and change bidet spray hose. Or rather, should girls nowadays learn some basic cooking skills so that they can be self reliant when they go eat steamboat.

it's called "double standard"

• Haha! 8

Hypersonic
On 5/10/2023 at 11:10 PM, Benarsenal said:

Best is know a bit of everything. No need to overly depend on others. Goes for guys and girls.

My daughters can assemble IKea cupboards themselves, including the sliding baskets, with some help from their little brother.  Taobao chairs and tables also they can fix.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 9

you have bigger issues with just gender roles [laugh]

• Haha! 7

Jarbor most...i mean sometimes is liddat one lah...eat too much porridge...

One evening...supposedly my better half...was watching sea games swimming...i asked her what event...she said 50m medley...i was like...must be super challenging for any swimmer to switch pattern every 12.5m...🤣

• Haha! 10

Turbocharged
On 5/10/2023 at 11:10 PM, Tianmo said:

Know, ownself do.

Recently I went to SS buy taps and hoses, the cashiers, whom we speak alot was like, wah you so good can ownself change. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

That's what my wifey always say, when I tell her she's lucky to marry engineer, simple electrical and plumbing jobs in the house can be DIY. She says got money, just pay someone to take care of it - though I point out that while contractor gets the job done quickly, the quality is poor. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 6

Typical sg ladies with princess syndrome, problem is most r or do not look like princess... wahaha 🤣

• Haha! 5

Supersonic
On 5/10/2023 at 11:19 PM, Tianmo said:

My daughters can assemble IKea cupboards themselves, including the sliding baskets, with some help from their little brother.  Taobao chairs and tables also they can fix.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

The true test is whether your daughters can catch spider, lizards or cockcroaches that appear in their rooms 🤣🤣🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Hypersonic
(edited)

Nothing to do with gender.

People are just getting more ignorant these days.

Partly is wealth effect. Kids growing up surrounded by more things think "they" made it and hence "they" are smarter and they know everything so stop learning.

Hence girls don't know how to cook because few mothers cook and the daughter never helps them because they have maids.

Boys don't know how to change a plug because they never seen their fathers do it because it's all done by electricians.

In Europe plumbers and electricians are expensive and people DIY.

People are so ignorant they don't know a car gearbox need to change the oil.

A guy scrapped his car after 8.5 years because gearbox up lorry and he didn't have the 4 or 5k to replace it.

:D 

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 6

Piangz, talk about birds of the same feathers. This is exactly what I dont want for my children. I want them to be independent, learn how to adapt and learn the basic stuff. 

I myself when young stayed away from my parents for several years be it here or overseas. I dont need my mum to cook and clean for me, I can adapt, whatever I dunno I can learn. New power socket comes with a drawing attached. As long as you are not colour blind and can read, know about safety by switching off the main power, you are good to go. Cooking last time I borrow/buy cook books and ownself try. Tbh it is not difficult to try. Last time dont have YT so have to use books.

Imo it isnt about roles but it is your willingness to try. Dont always rely on your mum. 

I recently read an article on a autistic teenage boy and her mum. The boy is non-verbal, to get her mum's attention he will hit her all the time cos he is too reliant to have her do everything for him. So what the mum did is "abandon" her son with a care taker in an Indonesian village and only contact him thru zoom. Although he is non verbal they can still communicate thru videos on what he learn to do on his own. W/o his mum around he is in a way forced to be independent, do most of the basic daily stuff himself. Even learn wood working from the villagers. I have more respect for this mum and son.

I think "soft ppl" need to get out of their comfort zone. Dont be a mommy's boy or girl. My wife is also not a fantastic cook but she is willing to search the internet for recipe  and try. This kinda attitude is acceptable. Not skilled but willing to try.

Everyday eat at HDL meh? No wonder the Chinese guy who founded the restaurant chain is so rich.  

• Praise 7

Supersonic
(edited)
On 5/10/2023 at 11:10 PM, Tianmo said:

Know, ownself do.

Exactly. I just pay money ask someone do or seek help from people around me if i dont know the so-called basic stuff that people thought that i should know how to do. 😅 I would not feel depressed or lose sleep over it even other people say to me: why so simple stuff you also dont know how to do. 🤣

Edited by 13177
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 7:52 AM, Kb27 said:

ask the women, do they know how to sew ?

I, big manly man, knows how.

Different generation.

Hypersonic

Its a generational thing.

Our grandfathers are handier with their hands than our generation.

We will be handier than our kids unless we teach our kids how to cook, change plugs etc.

But with maids who cooks?

But our contractors do all the wiring so our kids never see us do it and don't know.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1